Original post by L'Evil Fish
Just remember...

Oxygen + Water + Electrons = Hydroxide Ions

O(2) + 4H(2)O + 4e- = 4OH-

Hydroxide Ions + Hydrogen = Water + Electrons

4OH- + 2H(2) ---> 2H(2)O + 4e-

_

What help do you need with them?

CFC's- why's there a continuous depletion of O(3)?
Reply 301
I think there's a mistake in the CGP book.

Page 93

2. So they are attracted to the negative anode and are reduced to copper atoms....

:lolwut:

Oh yeah! It should just be "negative cathode" I'm pretty sure, that's how it is in the picture.
Failing Chemistry
Original post by benwalters1996
CFC's- why's there a continuous depletion of O(3)?

Because Cl O ¤ is my radical sign :lol:) is never used up in the process.

ClO¤ + O(3) ---> 2O(2) + Cl ¤

Cl ¤ + O(3) ---> ClO¤ + O(2)

And it happens repeatedly.

Original post by cameron262
Oh yeah! It should just be "negative cathode" I'm pretty sure, that's how it is in the picture.

:lol: silly book
Reply 304
last year the raw marks (out of 60) were 19 for a c, 28 for a b, 37 for a, 46 for a*

which i think are fairly low, do you all think that will be consistent this year, or that the grade boundaries will be higher/lower?
Original post by foyzx
last year the raw marks (out of 60) were 19 for a c, 28 for a b, 37 for a, 46 for a*

which i think are fairly low, do you all think that will be consistent this year, or that the grade boundaries will be higher/lower?

55 will probably be an A* due to the section D, add 5/6 to each 2012 grade boundary i reckon.
Reply 306
If i got a b in c123 and an a in c/w, wat mark will i need to get a b overall in tmrws exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 307
Original post by foyzx

It was out of 75

Spoiler

Reply 308
Original post by AR-13
If i got a b in c123 and an a in c/w, wat mark will i need to get a b overall in tmrws exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What UMS ???

What mark ???
Reply 309
can someone explain to me why weak acids do not completely ionise in water- i know it's because it's a reversible reaction but i don't really understand? xx thank you
Original post by izzzyyay
can someone explain to me why weak acids do not completely ionise in water- i know it's because it's a reversible reaction but i don't really understand? xx thank you

hi :smile:

this video explains it very nicely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np-jOY_EshQ
skip to about 2mins or you'll get bored by his voice -.-
Original post by izzzyyay

I'll give you an example :smile: -

The chemical formula for ethanoic acid is CH3COOH. The underlined H is the hydrogen atom that becomes an ion in water as it loses an electron, becoming H+ .

However, the other Hydrogen ions (CH3COOH) do not ionise (it's something to do with the bonding between the different elements but don't worry about that) so out of the 4 Hydrogen atoms in the chemical formula, only 1 ionises. Because of this, the concentration of Hydrogen atoms in the acid that ionise is low.

CH3COOH -> CH3COO- + H+

As you can see there are still 3 Hydrogen atoms that haven't ionised and become positive ions. An equilibrium mixture is formed (the arrow is supposed to be reversible by the way)

But hydrochloric acid which has the formula HCl, has its single Hydrogen atom ionise in water. Therefore, the concentration of Hydrogen atoms in hydrochloric acid that ionise is high.

HCl ->H++Cl-

As you can see all of the Hydrogen atoms in HCl ionise, so it is a strong acid.

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but hopefully it should clarify some things...? :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BP_Tranquility

The chemical formula for ethanoic acid is CH3COOH. The underlined H is the hydrogen atom that becomes an ion in water as it loses an electron, becoming H+ .

However, the other Hydrogen ions (CH3COOH) do not ionise (it's something to do with the bonding between the different elements but don't worry about that) so out of the 4 Hydrogen atoms in the chemical formula, only 1 ionises. Because of this, the concentration of Hydrogen atoms in the acid that ionise is low.

CH3COOH -> CH3COO- + H+

As you can see there are still 3 Hydrogen atoms that haven't ionised. An equilibrium mixture is formed (the arrow is supposed to be reversible by the way)

But hydrochloric acid which has the formula HCl, has its single Hydrogen atom ionise in water. Therefore, the concentration of Hydrogen atoms in hydrochloric acid that ionise is high.

HCl ->H++Cl-

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for, but hopefully it should clarify some things...? :biggrin:

picking up from earlier-where about are you with education? because this all seems quite advanced(or maybe i'm oversimplifying the GCSE :eek: ).

as for weak acids-are the reactions always reversible?

ps-please say you and L'Evil Fish are this good at physics too? :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 313
Original post by BP_Tranquility

CH3COOH -> CH3COO- + H+

As you can see there are still 3 Hydrogen atoms that haven't ionised and become positive ions. An equilibrium mixture is formed (the arrow is supposed to be reversible by the way)

HCl ->H++Cl-

thank you so much! xx
picking up from earlier-where about are you with education? because this all seems quite advanced(or maybe i'm oversimplifying the GCSE :eek: ).

as for weak acids-are the reactions always reversible?

ps-please say you're this good at physics too? :biggrin:

No, I'm still doing GCSE :tongue:
I was here on the forums quite a lot for the biology exams but today, I had some other exams so I was focusing on them rather than chemistry. :smile:

Well, I'm quite interested in science so tend to read around the subject quite a lot in my spare time, but the above was mainly from my revision guide. From my understanding, weak acids are usually reversible due to something about the attractions between the different elements...

I've read somewhere that weak acids form an equilibrium mixture because the ions produced in ethanoic acid when it breaks down into CH3COO- and H+ are not stable so they have the potential to bond back together and form ethanoic acid again. Hydrochloric acid however breaks down into H+ and Cl- ions which are more stable and prevents an equilibrium to be formed. :cool:

Haha, not sure if I'm as good at physics but it is my favourite science but I guess we'll find out. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
GUYS HELP

you know the fuel cell equations?

my book taught me that in acid conditions

ANODE

H2 + 2OH- - 2e- -> 2H2O

CATHODE

O2 + 2H2O + 4e- -> 4OH-

HOWEVER the specimen mark scheme said

positive (+ve) electrode: O2 + 2H2O + 4e- -> 4OH-

negative (-ve) electrode: H2 + 2OH- -> 2H2O + 2e-

WHAT? which one is right!?
Original post by NatashaG
GUYS HELP

ANODE

H2 + 2OH- - 2e- -> 2H2O

CATHODE

O2 + 2H2O + 4e- -> 4OH-

I learnt:

O(2) + 2H(2)O + 4e- ---> 4OH-

Which overall is:

2H(2) + O(2) ---> 2H(2)O
Original post by NatashaG
GUYS HELP

ANODE

H2 + 2OH- - 2e- -> 2H2O

CATHODE

O2 + 2H2O + 4e- -> 4OH-

Well, believe it or not, but I was told that they were both correct! :tongue:

My revision guide says:
negative electrode: 2H2-->4H+ +4e-
positive electrode: 4H+ +4e- +O2-->2H2O

But apparently the different equations are different because they give you the reactions from a different perspective- e.g. your revision guide's reactions may be from positive to negative electrode whilst mine's could be from the negative to positive electrode. I'm not sure how this affects the equations though but this was what I was told. If I were you, I would learn the equations in your revision guide since there's a chance the specimen is wrong :cool:
I learnt:

O(2) + 2H(2)O + 4e- ---> 4OH-

Which overall is:

2H(2) + O(2) ---> 2H(2)O

that's what it says in the revision book :smile:

i wouldn't trust the mark scheme, for Q1 it said 'expected answer:nitrogen' 'additional guidance: Mg is acceptable' which..as far as i know...is wrong?
that's what it says in the revision book :smile:

i wouldn't trust the mark scheme, for Q1 it said 'expected answer:nitrogen' 'additional guidance: Mg is acceptable' which..as far as i know...is wrong?

:lol: fair enough, but the book has mistakes too :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending