The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Missed out an absurd amount of 1 and 2 markers today, can't help feeling that I could have done more revision. Grrrr why do you guilt-trip me so, Student Room???
Reply 721
Original post by chemistryfailure
What did everyone put for trans having higher bp?

Trans chains are straighter and more regular so they can line up and pack together more closely. This means intermolecular bonds are stronger and more numerous because there are more points of contact so more idid bonds form and the chains require more energy to separate.
Reply 722
Original post by Futuristicmedic
For the insecticide did anyone put about it going into drinking water and affecting humans

Posted from TSR Mobile

i didn't think bout the drinking water, i said it accumulates along the food chain and human eat the other mammals so could be a healthy hazard/toxic ( this was in story lines too about DDT not just my biology knowledge speaking)
Reply 723
Original post by Callumhamby
Is it me or was there a lot more equilibrium and acid equilibrium questions than normal?

It felt like that to me too.

I didn't realise F335 was a maths paper :s-smilie:
Reply 724
does anyone remember the answers for the pH calculations?
Fairly sure it was oxidation? Losing a hydrogen is that...
Reply 726
Original post by C.JTop
i didn't think bout the drinking water, i said it accumulates along the food chain and human eat the other mammals so could be a healthy hazard/toxic ( this was in story lines too about DDT not just my biology knowledge speaking)

Humans are mammals too so surely it is toxic to humans just to inhale?
prove Ka = 1.7E-4, when pH is 3.77.

Then pH when HA = A-, 3.77.

pH when half acid has reacted with NaOH, pH = 4.07
Reply 728
Original post by Mattywooda

Agghh. I wrote that first, then changed it :facepalm:

Got the same pH values as you for the buffers. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 729
Original post by Reina
Trans chains are straighter and more regular so they can line up and pack together more closely. This means intermolecular bonds are stronger and more numerous because there are more points of contact so more idid bonds form and the chains require more energy to separate.

I put they way more points of contact, they was less distance between some parts of the chains unlike in cis were the chains where straighter but prevented from packing closely by the ester bond. This means the intemolecular forces ( instantenuos induced dipole interctions) are strong in trans oil so more energy need to separate out the chains inorder to boil the liquid.
Original post by EdwinLo

Yeah.

"Damn. I wrote the complete opposite. I said the shell gets stronger."

It's in storylines :smile:
what did everyone put for the transition metal & coloured complex 5 or 6 marker ?

Spoiler

Reply 732
Original post by millz186
does anyone remember the answers for the pH calculations?

I got 3 point something for the one that was followed by the "which assumption makes the calculation less accurate" question (or something along those lines).
I put 2HCOOH + CaCO3 = CO2 + H2O + CA(OH)2 ...... is that wrong?
Reply 734
Original post by Mattywooda

It lost a proton so there was no change in electrons.
Reply 735
Original post by EdwinLo

inhaling? perhaps but i was thinking that humans would eat the insecticide at higher concentration that were more toxic
Original post by C.JTop
I put they way more points of contact, they was less distance between some parts of the chains unlike in cis were the chains where straighter but prevented from packing closely by the ester bond. This means the intemolecular forces ( instantenuos induced dipole interctions) are strong in trans oil so more energy need to separate out the chains inorder to boil the liquid.

Ditto. Do you think if I stated pd-pd as an interaction between the hydrocarbon chains that I'll lose a mark?
Reply 737
Original post by AmirHabeeb
It lost a proton so there was no change in electrons.

yeah the Nitrogen was N- , so i put reduction?
Reply 738
Original post by C.JTop
yeah the Nitrogen was N- , so i put reduction?

Oxidation/Reduction involve a change in number of electrons. There was no change. I think it's elimination. :colondollar:
Reply 739
Original post by autodidactmedic
what did everyone put for the transition metal & coloured complex 5 or 6 marker ?

Spoiler

I didn't know whether to write about ligands since I think it said "transition metal compounds" rather than "complexes".

My answer was "Electrons absorb light energy and move to higher energy levels. The frequency absorbed depends on the energy gap between two energy levels (deltaE = hv). The complimentary colour is reflected or transmitted."

It didn't feel like enough, but the question was 5 marks - one being QWC :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending