Original post by adam17
you know cos4x = 2cos^2(2x) -1 from C3
rearrange to cos4x + 1 = 2cos^2(2x)
then 0.5cos4x + 0.5 = cos^2(2x)
:smile:

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 141
i think someone else has asked for this question already but i don't understand why the answer to part 1 is 20/k1

i've attached the question

june 2009
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by Hello_ImJess
Help with question 4 please

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371465715.798886.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

The reason why using x=13sinθ x= \frac{1}{3} sin \theta is useful is because this helps us utilise the Pythagorean identity sin2x+cos2x=1 sin^2x +cos^2x =1 to simplify the denominator. This makes it easier to integrate because the denominator becomes much more simple.
Reply 143
Help with question 4 please

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371465715.798886.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

CcdrXoM.jpg

there you go, hope that's the right answer :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Is it me or does C4 just loves putting little things to trip you up? Like the principle integration /differentiation etc isn't too bad but when you're setting up all the equations and you don't notice something cancels then you're screwed.
That's what I've been finding with the papers anyways.
Reply 145
Original post by bbm100
i think someone else has asked for this question already but i don't understand why the answer to part 1 is 20/k1

june 2009

because its rising at K1 oC/s..

As its rising 20oC, it'll take 20/K1 seconds.

I don't really know how to explain it.. imagine K = 3.
To rise 20 degrees, it'll take 20/3 seconds.
Reply 146
Original post by eggfriedrice
Is it me or does C4 just loves putting little things to trip you up? Like the principle integration /differentiation etc isn't too bad but when you're setting up all the equations and you don't notice something cancels then you're screwed.
That's what I've been finding with the papers anyways.

after doing so many papers (which are all pretty similar) you sorta just learn the little tricks etc. That's what I've found anyway!
Reply 147
Original post by bbm100

june 2009

Search it in youtube or search hegartydave and you should find a video on it :smile:
Reply 148
Original post by bbm100

june 2009

The heater causes the temperature to increase at k degrees per second:

therefore dθdt=k \frac{d \theta}{d t} = k

You can solve this differential equation with the information given and hense answer the question.

OR

Because temperature increases at a constant rate the rate of change of temperature is given by 6040t=k \frac{60-40}{t} = k where t is the time taken for the increase. You may wish to think about this geometrically as a gradient of a straight line.
Original post by stirkee
after doing so many papers (which are all pretty similar) you sorta just learn the little tricks etc. That's what I've found anyway!

Haha yeah! I'm planning to do as many past papers today as I can and jot down all their little tricks. Sneaky C4.
Reply 150
Haha yeah! I'm planning to do as many past papers today as I can and jot down all their little tricks. Sneaky C4.

I'm pretty sure I know everything inside out.. my only downfall will be rushing and/or making stupid mistakes..

I find C4 easier than C3... I'm pretty sure I got over 90UMS in C3 so I'd hate myself if I screwed up my A* by mucking up C4.. lol.

but yeah I think (hope) i've seen all of the little tricks before!
Original post by stirkee
I'm pretty sure I know everything inside out.. my only downfall will be rushing and/or making stupid mistakes..

I find C4 easier than C3... I'm pretty sure I got over 90UMS in C3 so I'd hate myself if I screwed up my A* by mucking up C4.. lol.

but yeah I think (hope) i've seen all of the little tricks before!

Same actually, it took me a lot longer to understand C3 than C4. I got a B overall last year in Maths so I retook C1, C2, and C3 this exam season xD I'm predicted an A but now I'm greedy and want the A* >:
I love how M1/2 doesn't affect the A* though xD
Original post by stirkee
CcdrXoM.jpg

there you go, hope that's the right answer :redface:

I'm still a little confused. When you sub 1/3sin theta into 1 - 9x^2 you get 1-3sin^2theta. How did you get to the next line of working from there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 153
I'm still a little confused. When you sub 1/3sin theta into 1 - 9x^2 you get 1-3sin^2theta. How did you get to the next line of working from there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

when you square 1/3sin theta you get 1/9sin^2theta.

multiply that by 9 to get sin^2theta.

1-sin^2theta = cos^2theta

get it? :smile:
Reply 154
Same actually, it took me a lot longer to understand C3 than C4. I got a B overall last year in Maths so I retook C1, C2, and C3 this exam season xD I'm predicted an A but now I'm greedy and want the A* >:
I love how M1/2 doesn't affect the A* though xD

I've found C3 much easier than C4 when learning it; its just since starting the past papers I've found C4 easier as the papers are all the same. I found that in C3 there's more random/hard stuff that they can throw at you but In C4 you know what is gonna come up every time.
Reply 155

Posted from TSR Mobile

you get 1sin2θ 1-sin^2\theta
Original post by stirkee
when you square 1/3sin theta you get 1/9sin^2theta.

multiply that by 9 to get sin^2theta.

1-sin^2theta = cos^2theta

get it? :smile:

Ahhhh got it, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
How would you integrate this?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371470840.451832.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 158

Posted from TSR Mobile

(integral of) x+2-2/x+2

= (integral of) 1 - 2/x+2

= x - 2ln(x+2)
Reply 159

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd use partial fractions, but in C4 you are not expected to be able to do partial fractions where the order of the denominator is the same as the numerator, so probably substitution?
If you said, let u=x+2, du/dx = 1 --> dx = du.
You then have to integrate (u-2)/u which you can split into integrate (1 - 2/u) du = u - 2lnu = x + 2 - 2ln(x+2).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending