The Student Room Group

OCR C4 (not mei) 18th June 2013 revision

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
to get an A* I need 87 UMS (because I got 93 in C3), I reckon I got between 58-60/72 on that paper, could I still be in with a chance? :frown:
Original post by tooambitious
There were only two questions where a graphical calculator would have helped? One of them really wasn't too bad either, the parametric one (you could check easily by taking the second derivative, although the method instructed by the question was very east)

Posted from TSR Mobile

There may have only been two questions, but that's still an advantage none the less. Anyways, that is 1 exam, I know you've taken other exams where you can't argue it hasn't given you an advantage, i.e. further pure 2. Yes you can work out the graph without the calculator like I did, but there's no arguing it's quicker to type in the equation onto your calculator and click sketch.

I'm not trying to insult how good anyone is at maths, because I'm sure you're very good, but I think this case is indefensible.
Original post by Lindseyjm
to get an A* I need 87 UMS (because I got 93 in C3), I reckon I got between 58-60/72 on that paper, could I still be in with a chance? :frown:

well then you should join me in hoping that the A boundaries will be something like 57 or lower :L
Reply 723
Original post by XingBairong
well then you should join me in hoping that the A boundaries will be something like 57 or lower :L

They would have to be much lower than 57 for me to get that A* :/ what do you need?
Original post by XingBairong
and I still think the only advantage with the graphic calculator is that for the graph sketching questions - you can check your answer and put your mind to rest for that question should you get it right - you would still have to work out asymptotes and stuffs.
Or it could show that you did something wrong and it could be frustrating because you know that you got it wrong hence may affect your performance for other questions.
so double edged sword really

it still puts you at an advantage
that last bit is just nonsense, you'd much rather not know whether you answer was wrong or right? it doesnt matter that it affects your performace, i have hayfever that instantly makes me disadvanataged in all summer exams as i have to blow my nose every ten minutes
Reply 725
Original post by JakePreedy
There may have only been two questions, but that's still an advantage none the less. Anyways, that is 1 exam, I know you've taken other exams where you can't argue it hasn't given you an advantage, i.e. further pure 2. Yes you can work out the graph without the calculator like I did, but there's no arguing it's quicker to type in the equation onto your calculator and click sketch.

I'm not trying to insult how good anyone is at maths, because I'm sure you're very good, but I think this case is indefensible.

I don't use a graphical calculator, nor do I really have any begrudging feelings towards those who do. In my opinion, if you have a problem with permitting graphical calculators, then that's an issue you should have with the exam board, and not with people who are explicitly NOT cheating.
There were only two questions where a graphical calculator would have helped? One of them really wasn't too bad either, the parametric one (you could check easily by taking the second derivative, although the method instructed by the question was very east)

Posted from TSR Mobile

its still unfair

looks like jakepreedys one step ahead of me!

i don't understand why we keep going on about this, having a graphical calculator can help you with questions, which means its unfair on candidates without one
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 727
In my opinion the idea that a "graphic's calculator showing your answer is wrong could affect performance in further questions" is very doubtful. If I used a graphic's calculator and noticed the graph I originally sketched using my own maths was wrong, I would simply rub it out and sketch what is on the calculator (or would have done that first) - this is obviously unfair.

You were more spot on with your first point, a graphic's calculator gives candidates the advantage of knowing their answer is correct on particular questions, putting their mind at rest. If you're like me who doesn't use a graphics calculator, you'd realise that this is a HUGE advantage. In today's C4 paper I spent so much time checking over my answers after completion, which is such a waste of time compared to someone with a graphic's calculator.
For god's sake. Graph sketching is only used for C1, and if you didn't know how a graph of -x^2 looks, then you pretty much are screwed for the rest of the paper. Plus, it is only 1 or 2 marks and to sketch the graph on a graphic calculator would take about 20 seconds for it to draw. You could draw the graph by working it out within 10 seconds.

And the answer it gives for integration questions can be given from a £14 casio calculator. It does it no more accurate, or faster. The only advantage a graphic calculator gives is a larger screen.

Unless you actually own a graphic calculator, please don't complain about it.

For FP2, certainly, I agree, it's unfair but I still don't see how it's cheating :/; it's allowed within the regulations.

I don't actually use one btw...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lindseyjm
They would have to be much lower than 57 for me to get that A* :/ what do you need?

92 and I think I got 64-67
probably more likely to be 64 :L
Can I just be very clear, for JakePreedy and Printergirl that your argument that use of a graphic calculator is cheating really just does by make sense.

If its unfair, yes, perhaps in exams where you get marks just for the graph (not in C4) but then talk to OCR, don't insult people. It's wholly unnecessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 731
Original post by ActaNonVerba
What's the theory for q10 to get 1/10.. I made a random guess and it worked, but can someone explain how you would get 1/10.. And explain 10i) I couldn't do that

I used iteration on xn+1 = 100/729 * (1-xn)3, with x0= 0 , which tended to 0.1.
Original post by sj_1995
I don't use a graphical calculator, nor do I really have any begrudging feelings towards those who do. In my opinion, if you have a problem with permitting graphical calculators, then that's an issue you should have with the exam board, and not with people who are explicitly NOT cheating.

Don't get me wrong, I know that they are not cheating (that was a slip of the tongue), but I still think you can't defend the fact that it gives you an advantage (how little it may be). Fortunately this is *hopefully* my last OCR exam, so this debate is really just for sprouting opinions! :P
For FP2, certainly, I agree, it's unfair but I still don't see how it's cheating :/; it's allowed within the regulations.

I don't actually use one btw...

Posted from TSR Mobile

its not cheating, but it helps which is unfair
I dont think i ever said it was cheating
im sure you dont but i think Namige depends on one!
Original post by printergirl
its still unfair

looks like jakepreedys one step ahead of me!

i don't understand why we keep going on about this, having a graphical calculator can help you with questions, which means its unfair on candidates without one

It's not cheating though. We keep going on about it because someone (I think it was you) made the stupid statement that it's cheating.

How can it e cheating if it's allowed by the regulations :confused: :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 735
Original post by Maid Marian
Oh woes, I got 1/2 ln 3 for that one... because I integrated tan2x wrong. I hate myself so much.

I'd be surprised if you drop more than one mark for that. I think it was only out of 5, so you'll probably just drop a method mark. I wouldn't panic about it!
I know this is an absolutely drastic mistake and I can't even begin to express how angry I am at myself, but on the differential equations I missed off 'k' and I used 1/root x rather than k/root x. I then continued through the whole of the question like this. Do you think I will lose all of the marks available for this question?
Original post by Aimee18
If anybody here did the biology unit 5 paper and thought it was a disgrace like this page please

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Aqa-Biol-5-June-2013-Paper-Was-A-Joke/137380629799397

I didn't think it was so bad? Just a lot of application.
Sorry - did someone say that the volume they found for the balloon was 30.5? How does that work given that at t=5, r=9 which gives a volume of around 3000cm^3.
average A grade boundary over the past 6 c4 papers is 56.5, my thinking is that this was a lot harder than a normal c4 paper so i'd be very surprised if the A grade boundary was above 55.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending