The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2620
Guys for the transition metal equations, if i initally wrote the wrong equation, but then wrote the right one under it would i still get the marks?
Can anyone explain why the current was flowing from right to left in that cell? Fairly sure that whatever **** I wrote in the exam was wrong lol
Reply 2622
Original post by Dirtybit
Yes plus or minus like 4. Same as last yr I think though

yeah thats why I asked..
Original post by theslav
I wrote down the reaction with water, and said that it will react very slowly due to the ionic bonding; not sure about reacting it with a base though

Wait what question was this lol?
Original post by erniiee
Yea I got

2Co3+ + CH3CHO + H2O -> 2Co2+ + CH3COOH + 2H+
4Co2+ + O2 + 4H+ -> 4Co3+ + 2H2O

OMG that's what I got! If it's right I'll kiss everybody I see today :P I really thought it was completely wrong.
Original post by marleyxd
So am i but i put the ionic version underneath each one aswell so hopefully it shouldn't matter.
The list principle isn't applied on these questions is it?...

Hopefully they'll accept both. I think what they were trying to avoid is people doing this:

[Al(H2O)6]3+ +3OH- ---> Al(H2O)3(OH)3 +3H2O

Al(H2O)3(OH)3 +3OH- ---> [Al(OH)6]2-

For example.
Reply 2626
Any thoughts on grade boundaries? I think about 72 for an A maybe! Definitely a harder paper than usual!
Reply 2627
Original post by toddyvedda
Can anyone explain why the current was flowing from right to left in that cell? Fairly sure that whatever **** I wrote in the exam was wrong lol

was it something to do with the concentration the conc in the right compartment was 2 mol and left was 1 mol so equilbrium shifts to the left?
Original post by bananarama2
I think it is 1:3

yea okay - I got some strange value like 2.899.. so just rounded to 3.

I also guessed the formula of the ion as [Co(NH3)4Cl2]+ paha

Also I swear we don't need to know the colours of silver complexes..and yet they came up! Please tell me that the initial AND final colour was colourless!

Right had less conc so equilibrium displaced to side to produce more cu²+ ions and electrons so electrons will travel right to left. I think!
Reply 2630
Original post by wrnicholls
Oh my god I did all the overall equations as ionic equations. Is that not right?

So did i!!!!

I said because the reaction aims to increase the concentration of Cu2+ ions on the right, so the Copper (on the right) is oxidised to Cu2+ ions releasing electrons. Therefore the RH electrode forms the negative electrode.
Original post by Jessica-F
Yea i have a conditional offer. I think I'll get my other 2 A's but not sure I'll get it in Chem now. Need 80 UMS for overall A, then again it depends on my ISA aswel. I just hope I havent messed it up too much. Would love an unoffical MS to calm me down.

I'm sure you'll do fine! :smile: By the looks of it, the grade boundaries could be lower this year. For Jan 2013, you needed 62 raw marks to get 80 ums so going by that you can drop 38 marks and still be alright. Hopefully you'll get an A* in one of your other subjects so that if in the worst case scenario you don't get an A, they offer you the place anyway (I know that has happened to a few people). And I know right, someone really needs to make one. I have physics to study for and I got too many things wrong to make one myself. :tongue:
Original post by erniiee

Also I swear we don't need to know the colours of silver complexes..and yet they came up! Please tell me that the initial AND final colour was colourless!

I thought so - I put no visible change aswell
Original post by erniiee

I got that ratio too.

I'm unsure about the complex.

I think so.
omg you are kidding me, for the overall equations we had to write NaCo3???? and HCL??? SHOOOT.
Original post by Anshul91
was it something to do with the concentration the conc in the right compartment was 2 mol and left was 1 mol so equilbrium shifts to the left?

I think it was as follows:

[Cu2+] on LHS is less than on RHS. Therefore, the equilibrium:

Cu2+ + 2e- <---> Cu shifts LEFT to oppose the reduction in Cu2+ conc.

This releases more electrons, so LHS is relatively negative to RHS

Therefore current flows right to left. Did anyone else get 1:3 for the last question?
Original post by erniiee

I wrote down both as colourless so I'm hoping that's right. :tongue:
Original post by HEH95
I don't remember all the questions by any means, but here's the numerical answers I got..sound familiar to anyone?

+1026 kJmol-1 (everyone got about +9hundred and something)
+13 kJmol-1

284.2 K (I got less than that)

+44.5 JK-1mol-1

+242.08 kJmol-1

-3.05 V

4.28x10^14 s^-1

ratio of 3:1

thoughts...?

I got the same for those in bold, those not in bold either i don't remember or got a different answer
Reply 2639
Original post by Padouken
Wait what question was this lol?

experiment to test if MgO was ionic;

i forgot to put that the pH will be weak alkaline

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending