The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2680
Original post by yarshad
Why does P4O10 have a lower melting point than Si02?

P4010 is molecular so weak VDW intermolecular forces whereas SiO2 is giant macromolecular.
Why is silicon dioxide *insoluble in water?
Original post by yarshad

weak Vdw forces between molecules as opposed to strong covalent bonds in SiO2
Reply 2683
Original post by yarshad

P4O10 is a simple covalent/molecular structure and hence only has vdW forces between molecules, so not a lot of energy needed to break the bonds
Reply 2684
I had a wild guess with the question asking why was CO2 produced in the redox half equation, said O2 from the compound reacts with carbon...is that wrong?
Original post by yarshad

I said that it forms very strong covalent bonds in a giant covalent structure, so requires large amounts of energy to breakdown. Also said deltaG was positive.

Dunno how right I am tbh.
Original post by Anshul91
I had a wild guess with the question asking why was CO2 produced in the redox half equation, said O2 from the compound reacts with carbon...is that wrong?

I have no idea. I said it uses electricity from the mains which is created using fossil fuels.
Original post by _jamie
I really hope they'll be okay with people using Cl- and CO32- etc

Hopefully they just meant no intermediates and will allow it.

I don't know why people are implying that they wouldn't accept CO32- and Cl- as even without the other ions these are the overall equations?

The reagent is Na2CO3, but the reaction is between the carbonate ion and the complex, the sodium ions/protons of HCl are just spectators.

Highly doubt there will be any marks lost for not showing them!

Original post by failingatm
Chemistry A-Level Failed?

This
Original post by itssochaotic
omg you are kidding me, for the overall equations we had to write NaCo3???? and HCL??? SHOOOT.

Head of science at my school said they will accept the ionic equations.
Also,

About the ethane 1,2 diamine question when it said this is more likely to be produced due to the chelate effect?

I wrote about entropy? and that there were more moles of product than reactant? :F
Original post by Croydon'Stepper
I have no idea. I said it uses electricity from the mains which is created using fossil fuels.

So did I
Original post by Mocking_bird
Oh also, before the exam i heard a boy talking about "I hope cobalt as a catalyst comes up", and I have never heard about it! (neither had my classmates... seems like a fault on the teachers part im not sure).
So i was praying it didnt come up and well, it did :lol:

Drowning my sorrows in Maoms and crispy m&ms :lol:

Aha that question was tricky! Luckily it was in the June 12 paper (or something very similar) so I managed to work it out..this whole paper was horrendous though! Oh yea how did you find Bio?
Original post by yarshad
Also,

About the ethane 1,2 diamine question when it said this is more likely to be produced due to the chelate effect?

I wrote about entropy? and that there were more moles of product than reactant? :F

Yeah wrote that as well. I read it off a mark scheme last night.
Guys I just calculated that I need 75 ums to get an A. What mark could that be??

(Please, be a C, please be a C...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2694
Original post by yarshad
Also,

yeah its increase in entropy 3 moles to 7 or however many it was, as the complex formed is more thermodynamically stable.
Reply 2695
Original post by yarshad

>Giant covalent (macromolecular) structure
>Covalent bonds throughout
>A lot of energy required to break strong covalent bonds

That's what I wrote, or near enough anyway. Not sure if it's completely correct :/.
Reply 2696
If loads of people have written ionic equations they will probably accept it. The mark schemes are altered as they see what people write, so I presume that would be one that they would change into the mark scheme...
Original post by yarshad
Also,

Yeah I wrote this aswell, I would've thought its right since past MSs have included this.
Reply 2698
Original post by yarshad
Also,

That's right, but also because a multidentate ligand complex is more stable that a unidentate ligand complex.
Original post by SuziieB
Guys I just calculated that I need 75 ums to get an A. What mark could that be??

(Please, be a C, please be a C...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah a C is 72 UMS, and a B is 84 UMS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending