The Student Room Group
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University

Napier mature students 2013!

Any other folks a bit longer in the tooth applying to Napier this year?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Ive always wondered where the age cut off is for a mature student?

Ill be 22 when I start Business Studies but hope I don't feel old.
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University
Reply 2
Original post by Pads
Ive always wondered where the age cut off is for a mature student?

Ill be 22 when I start Business Studies but hope I don't feel old.

There doesn't seem to be any cut and dried definition, does there? I've always taken it to mean >21.

I'm definitely mature. I worked full-time since I left school at 16 almost ten years ago. I certainly feel mature! Life has well and truly battered all that youthful optimism and idealism right out of me.

I actually chose to apply to Napier because of its relatively high mature student population. I'll be happy if there's even a couple of other people in their 20s (or older) on my course. I really don't want to feel like I'm stuck in an episode of Skins :redface:
Reply 3
I'll be 21 when I start Uni in the UK, that's probably not too old... I'm mostly friends with older people though and my current flatmates are 23-24, so not sure how living with ~18 year olds will turn out to be :colondollar:
I am kind of hoping they will grade according to age...
Reply 4
Original post by taljana
I'll be 21 when I start Uni in the UK, that's probably not too old... I'm mostly friends with older people though and my current flatmates are 23-24, so not sure how living with ~18 year olds will turn out to be :colondollar:
I am kind of hoping they will grade according to age...

http://www.napier.ac.uk/study/edinburgh/accommodation/Pages/about.aspx

It looks like they have two buildings (West Bryson and Morrison Circus) that are for mature students. I think I'd still rather find a flat/house share in the private sector though. It'll all come down to price in the end though :P
Reply 5
Original post by mrgunde
There doesn't seem to be any cut and dried definition, does there? I've always taken it to mean >21.

I'm definitely mature. I worked full-time since I left school at 16 almost ten years ago. I certainly feel mature! Life has well and truly battered all that youthful optimism and idealism right out of me.

I actually chose to apply to Napier because of its relatively high mature student population. I'll be happy if there's even a couple of other people in their 20s (or older) on my course. I really don't want to feel like I'm stuck in an episode of Skins :redface:

I see. Guess I am then.

I would say I was mature as I've been working almost 3 years now and travelled a fair bit by myself. Do like to have a good party sometimes though and definately get on well with people of any age.

I have a flat in new town though so will be staying here and getting the bus to uni. May try stay on at my job part time too but will see with timings how that will fit in.
Reply 6
Original post by Pads
I see. Guess I am then.

I would say I was mature as I've been working almost 3 years now and travelled a fair bit by myself. Do like to have a good party sometimes though and definately get on well with people of any age.

I have a flat in new town though so will be staying here and getting the bus to uni. May try stay on at my job part time too but will see with timings how that will fit in.

What's it like in that part of the city?
Reply 7
Original post by mrgunde
What's it like in that part of the city?

Lovely. The flats are really nice as they are all old georgian townhouses. Your close to the centre of town albeit on the other side of the uni. Quiet at night as its quite a well off area. very safe at night but then again I feel safe almost everywhere in Edinburgh at night which is one of the great things about the city. 27 and 23 go right to Napier. takes about 40-50 minutes from my flat on the 27.(when i went to craiglockhart campus today for the applicant day)

Anything I didnt cover?
Reply 8
Original post by Pads
Anything I didnt cover?

Yeah! The rents! :P

I think I'd like to live somewhere in Bruntsfield/Morningside since I'll be at Merchiston campus. The rents there seem quite high but I suppose I'd save on bus travel.

Really not sure yet! September still seems like quite a long way off :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by mrgunde
Yeah! The rents! :P

I think I'd like to live somewhere in Bruntsfield/Morningside since I'll be at Merchiston campus. The rents there seem quite high but I suppose I'd save on bus travel.

Really not sure yet! September still seems like quite a long way off :s-smilie:

well they are in the region of 350-450 per double room.(seems to be same as anywhere else if not a few quid more a month. I thought it would be more than it was)

For example,

http://www.espc.com/properties/details.aspx?pid=131378_citylets&sid=7766966368

http://www.espc.com/properties/details.aspx?pid=129782_citylets&sid=7766966368

http://www.espc.com/properties/details.aspx?pid=267714_citylets&sid=7766966368

Some say they want 3rd/4th years only but as a mature student think you would be ok.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Hey Pads. I ended up getting a place for £300 a month including bills in Morningside :smile:

Are you staying in the same place? Can't believe that last post was in March.
Reply 11
Original post by mrgunde
Hey Pads. I ended up getting a place for £300 a month including bills in Morningside :smile:

Are you staying in the same place? Can't believe that last post was in March.

Ah you managed to get a good deal.

Yeh I will be staying in New Town. The 27 bus will become my best friend.
Reply 12
Original post by mrgunde

What a relief, I had the same thought in mind thank God am not alone ........coming to Napier for my post graduate course in automation and control

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hi Blackzeus. How mature are you? :wink: Where are you from?
Reply 14
Well.....I will say too mature for my age, am 26 from Nigeria I have a B.Eng in Electical Electronics Engineer...... I can fit into any crowd or age range but I still prefer the mature folks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am a mature 28 year old from NJ, USA and I will be on the International Tourism and Hospitality Management course starting in January at Napier!
Next to me your all children lol, I am 38 , will be 40 when I re apply, did adult nursing 2010, had to drop out so looking to reapply
Reply 17
I am 28 years old :biggrin:

PG student at Transport Planning
Reply 18
I am 33.....Looking to join the MSc International Events and Festival Management in Sep 2014.

Excited and Nervous ....all at the same time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest