The Student Room Group

Bad results ! wanted to do medicine .....

I should've got A's for all 4 subjects at AS instead I got

Chem - C
Bio - C
Maths - C
Lit & Lang - C

I really wanted to study medicine at University but will I even stand a chance with these AS results?

HELP !!!!
Well, the honest truth is you'll have to resit a fair few of them if you want to do medicine. And nothing is guaranteed in A level, so it's a case of you not working hard enough I'm afraid.
Reply 2
You could carry on, but do something like Biochem at uni. Then after completing that, you could apply for Medicine, but graduate entry?

Of course your other choice would be to resit.

May I ask for your GCSEs? And you said you should have got As... Do you mean that you was predicted 4 As by your teachers?

Don't think that your doors to Medicine are all closed. Work hard and you will hopefully achieve what you want :-)
Reply 3
Original post by lubsjk
You could carry on, but do something like Biochem at uni. Then after completing that, you could apply for Medicine, but graduate entry?

Of course your other choice would be to resit.

May I ask for your GCSEs? And you said you should have got As... Do you mean that you was predicted 4 As by your teachers?

Don't think that your doors to Medicine are all closed. Work hard and you will hopefully achieve what you want :-)

For my GCSE'S I got 3 A*, 6 A's and 3 B's ( french, Spanish &history). My teachers predicted me the A's as those were the grades I achieved when I completed the mock exams. :smile:
Reply 4
Boundaries were tough this year. If I were you I wouldn't apply for medicine straight away I would spend next yr concentrating on your a levels resorting what you need to then spend a gap year getting loads of work experience. Then apply. This should stand you in a better chance of getting an offer than applying based on predictions and your as results. It's not the end of the road just yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by peri95
For my GCSE'S I got 3 A*, 6 A's and 3 B's ( french, Spanish &history). My teachers predicted me the A's as those were the grades I achieved when I completed the mock exams. :smile:

So are you predicted AAA or better for A2? If so, you still have a chance at applying this cycle.

If not, then I'm afraid it's a matter of seeing what results you get at A2 and taking things from there. Your option would include re-applying for medicine during a gap year or to go for GEM.
Reply 6
Original post by peri95
I should've got A's for all 4 subjects at AS instead I got

Chem - C
Bio - C
Maths - C
Lit & Lang - C

I really wanted to study medicine at University but will I even stand a chance with these AS results?

HELP !!!!

Your predictions matter at the moment so if you get your school to predict you 3 As, you'll be fine. Just stay away from unis that give preference to good AS grades like Birmingham. You would need to pull your grade up with resits, but it is do-able with enough work. If your exam board for Chemistry is AQA, someone posted really good notes here on TSR. I did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics and got AABB at AS. I dropped Maths then realised in Year 13 I can't get an A in Physics because it just isn't my subject so I picked up Psychology as my backup and did the whole A-level in Year 13 and all the exams in May/June 2013. I decided not to apply last year to strengthen my application. I've now achieved A*AAB in Psychology, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. If you think you can't get the grades in something, you could look into picking a subject you would really like self-teaching like I did. It takes a lot of work though and you have to make sure it won't affect your other subjects. If your school refuses to predict you 3 As based on your AS results, just take a gap year and apply with grades you've achieved. :smile:

You don't have to resit all your modules. It's your overall grade that matters. I got an A at AS and a B at A2 for Chemistry and it balanced out to an A. Because of the limits on resits, you might have to pick what you resit very wisely. Thankfully, AS and A2 exams tend to be spaced apart in summer so you could resit all your AS modules and still be fine with your A2 if you start revision early. Make sure you really nail practical exams/coursework and I'm sure you'll be fine. If all else fails, you could either resit in your gap year (your choices would be very limited though) or go through graduate entry. Graduate entry is really competitive though, so keep that as your last option.

Good luck and chin up! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by peri95

Well your GCSEs aren't too bad, so you need not worry about them. Just remember to avoid unis that place a high regard on GCSEs. If you got As on your mocks then it means you are certainly capable of achieving AAA at A Level. I say you do a couple of retakes and pray that it all goes well! Work hard! It'll pay off later :-)
Good luck! :-)
Reply 8
I got my as results today and got ABBC. I am dropping physics which I got a C in, and carrying on history which I got an A and bio and chem which I got Bs. Hopefully ill be predicted AAA or A*AA. I know this is fine for med but will the C let me down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by islandboy
I got my as results today and got ABBC. I am dropping physics which I got a C in, and carrying on history which I got an A and bio and chem which I got Bs. Hopefully ill be predicted AAA or A*AA. I know this is fine for med but will the C let me down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just check the requirements for the places you apply to - some specify a B or an A in your 4th AS subject, others aren't bothered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending