The Student Room Group

Should I choose business or further mathematics for alevel?

I have already chosen economics, mathematics and chemistry, but I am wondering if I should choose further mathematics or chemistry as I aim for 4A* actually. I don’t know if I would choose which one if depends on my interest. Also, I am planning to study international business and global management or medince in university, so which should I choose?
Original post by Biancashaha
I have already chosen economics, mathematics and chemistry, but I am wondering if I should choose further mathematics or chemistry as I aim for 4A* actually. I don’t know if I would choose which one if depends on my interest. Also, I am planning to study international business and global management or medince in university, so which should I choose?

Don't do a 4th A level. You don't need it. It doesn't give you any advantage and it leaves you a little pressed for time and studying and you will potentially underperform in your exams as a result of the increased work load. You have high ambitions, clearly, but triple A* is a very impressive achievement that you don't want to jeopardise by wanting quadruple A*

Those are two very different careers you're considering. Medicine is incredibly hard and ultra competitive and... have you researched the work life of doctors? It's long hours and hard stuff. You need to be absolutely insane and crazy about Medicine to do it. You need to think about it and research a lot about it. You still have time to make up your mind, after all you're only in year 11, but when it comes to the moment of applying to university... if you want to do Medicine, it's because your heart is 150% set on it and there's no other subject you'd rather do. If that's not the case, then you should choose business.
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Don't do a 4th A level. You don't need it. It doesn't give you any advantage and it leaves you a little pressed for time and studying and you will potentially underperform in your exams as a result of the increased work load. You have high ambitions, clearly, but triple A* is a very impressive achievement that you don't want to jeopardise by wanting quadruple A*

Those are two very different careers you're considering. Medicine is incredibly hard and ultra competitive and... have you researched the work life of doctors? It's long hours and hard stuff. You need to be absolutely insane and crazy about Medicine to do it. You need to think about it and research a lot about it. You still have time to make up your mind, after all you're only in year 11, but when it comes to the moment of applying to university... if you want to do Medicine, it's because your heart is 150% set on it and there's no other subject you'd rather do. If that's not the case, then you should choose business.

Actually, I should clarify that. Cuz the universities in hk requires a minimum for 3A (the subject I would like). While the medicine is 4A, so that’s why I would like to choose 4 subjects. I rlly need some suggestions abt which subject will be better if I do have to choose the 4th

How come you arent picking or deciding on biology? Surely thats a good choice for medicine no?

I've heard there are overlaps between business and economics so that might make ur revision come easier. In my school we have 3 maths classes with around 20 people in each and 1 further maths class that used to have 5 people but now down to 2 as people dropped it. The people who are doing further maths now are only doing it as they want to do something with lots of mathematics in the future(disgusting ik). People who are taking medicine in my school are mainly doing a combination of biology, chemisty, maths with the occasion person doing 4 and doing computer science or physics

If it's between business and further maths, I would go for business mainly bc i do it and I dont struggle as much compared to the others so i have no regrets for picking it.
Actually, I should clarify that. Cuz the universities in hk requires a minimum for 3A (the subject I would like). While the medicine is 4A, so that’s why I would like to choose 4 subjects. I rlly need some suggestions abt which subject will be better if I do have to choose the 4th

Ah my bad, sorry, was thinking about UK universities which will only ever ask for 3 A levels. Take the subject that you like the most? But again, give some thought as to what you actually want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest