The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So I'll be getting 2 non-GCSE's (they're not BTECs) which has pissed me off as my school decided to change those for people who were struggling, as well as 6 GCSE's on the day - [I already have an A in Maths and Core Science]

So altogether I should have 8 GCSE's and 2 other qualifications, is this a massive problem for me if I want to study at a Russel Group Uni? My predictions are all A/A*s but I'm not sure I'll get those

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 741
Original post by LikeNarnia
So I'll be getting 2 non-GCSE's (they're not BTECs) which has pissed me off as my school decided to change those for people who were struggling, as well as 6 GCSE's on the day - [I already have an A in Maths and Core Science]

So altogether I should have 8 GCSE's and 2 other qualifications, is this a massive problem for me if I want to study at a Russel Group Uni? My predictions are all A/A*s but I'm not sure I'll get those

Posted from TSR Mobile

Won't be a problem, just the grades that matter but not a lot compared to AS.
Reply 742
Original post by blamethenargles
I've given my mum clear instructions on what to do on results day>.< once I've got my results I will be ok so mums taking me straight to Cardiff!
I get incredibly nervous too, I just implode its kind of awful and embarrassing .-.

Oh, why Cardiff?

I can't stand it. Some people seem to think it's stupid that I'm worrying, even I do really, but I seriously think I didn't do enough to get the grades I want.
Original post by harrybithell196
Yes, I have got my enrolment letter and it doesn't say anything about a charge. Woo!

Isn't it optional for some colleges? It is compulsory at my college so I guess that's why they don't charge. Unless it is compulsory at yours as well then it seems a bit unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if they say you have to pay - i dont think its optional.

Yep, it is compulsory at my college.

Original post by SophF_rth
Well my GCSE are just average. :redface: ABBBBBBCC

I didn't meant it all goes for the ID card but some of it must. Well it is a good college so I don't mind too much. It just seems a lot compared to before!

Im sure them gcses are fine!
You probably wont get into oxbridge, but the ones like UCL and kings college are more than happy to accept you.

Out of curiosity, is your college rated 'outsanding' by ofsted?
Sadly for results day I'm away, so I've got my sister to go in and open my results while skyping me. It's better than waiting for another two weeks for them
Original post by Red Fox
Won't be a problem, just the grades that matter but not a lot compared to AS.

Ahh good, I'm going to really try much harder this next two years to get the best grades that I can, and surely they want top AS grades, personal statement etc?
Also if I were to study law, how do I go about getting work experience; or does that only apply to medicine students?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 746
Original post by Infinity_4652
Well, if they say you have to pay - i dont think its optional.

Yep, it is compulsory at my college.

You probably wont get into oxbridge, but the ones like UCL and kings college are more than happy to accept you.

I wouldn't pay attention to Ofsted. My school is rated outstanding when it really isn't:biggrin:
Original post by Red Fox
I wouldn't pay attention to Ofsted. My school is rated outstanding when it really isn't:biggrin:

My college is rated 'good'. Im hoping its enough to satisfy me.
Reply 748
Ahh good, I'm going to really try much harder this next two years to get the best grades that I can, and surely they want top AS grades, personal statement etc?
Also if I were to study law, how do I go about getting work experience; or does that only apply to medicine students?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not really sure on those questions but I'm sure someone else will help.

well I guess a lot of it depends on AS results. And PS. I'll see how it goes though, need to work hard this time around :tongue:

yeah it is and on Wiki(great source) its says this:
The college is rated as being 'Outstanding' by Ofsted and is the only further education college in the county to have achieved this.
So I guess I'm going to the right place :wink:

Saying that my school was outstanding but I wouldn't have said so!

What about your college? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SophF_rth
well I guess a lot of it depends on AS results. And PS. I'll see how it goes though, need to work hard this time around :tongue:

yeah it is and on Wiki(great source) its says this:
The college is rated as being 'Outstanding' by Ofsted and is the only further education college in the county to have achieved this.
So I guess I'm going to the right place :wink:

Saying that my school was outstanding but I wouldn't have said so!

What about your college? :smile:

Indeed, we have to work much harder this year!
This year, i got EEE and i will hopefully get AAAA this time round! Big difference! :tongue:

When i read the word 'county', i thought it you wrote 'country' and i was thinking "WHAT??!!!"
My apologies! :colondollar:
Yh so, it must be a really awesome college if its the only 'outstanding' in the county - i hope you will like it.

My college is 'good' like almost every other college and sixth form in london.
Indeed, we have to work much harder this year!
This year, i got EEE and i will hopefully get AAAA this time round! Big difference! :tongue:

When i read the word 'county', i thought it you wrote 'country' and i was thinking "WHAT??!!!"
My apologies! :colondollar:
Yh so, it must be a really awesome college if its the only 'outstanding' in the county - i hope you will like it.

My college is 'good' like almost every other college and sixth form in london.

If you put the work in I think it's very possible! I'm going from DDDU to ABBB I hope!

I read that the same first and I was thinking. That's crazy, can't be right. Then it made sense :tongue:

Yeah I hope it will! I'll let you know as I progress :wink:

Tbh thats alright :smile: What was your sixthform?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish to study law aswell. Woo, someone like me in here.

Anyway, I guess you can get in touch with solicitors firms and ask if you can have some experience with them. I will do something like this during the holidays as when I did it for my high school work experience I enjoyed it and I guess that as I'd be older we'd get more responsibilities. Also, you can go to court. Watch trials and listen to hearings and such. That would look good because then you are showing that you are interested in law. Also, your college may have a mooting society or even a debating society which looks good on your personal statement.

What A-Levels are you taking?
Reply 753
Can someone recommend me a somewhat dark film that's about 60-90 mins long for my film review please?
So how is everyone?
Original post by Mr.Nor
Can someone recommend me a somewhat dark film that's about 60-90 mins long for my film review please?

[h="3"]Thomas and the Magic Railroad[/h]
Reply 756

Exactly the type of darkness I was looking for :wink:
Original post by tsjmcgrath
Oh, why Cardiff?

I can't stand it. Some people seem to think it's stupid that I'm worrying, even I do really, but I seriously think I didn't do enough to get the grades I want.

I want some new Spyro games .-.
I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. I used to get so much crap just because I have high expectations, and I want to do well. I'm still thinking to myself "you need to calm down" but I can't until I've got the results and I've registered what's in that goddamn envelope._.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bluffroom
So how is everyone?

I have a game hangover from Spyro games:-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Darnell LD97
My GCSE's are Maths, Additional Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Humanities, History, Spanish, English lang and lit, Business and IT

I want to go to imperial college to study maths or physics

Other A levels are further maths, Maths and Physics

I prefer solving mathematical problems, I hate doing practicals but I would like to have 2 science and 2 maths a levels :smile:

I meant grades :tongue:

I say chemistry :biggrin:

Latest