The Student Room Group

Uni of Cambridge, are my resits going to hold me back?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbie242
Ok

It's so surprising how you have such good work ethic.
FP1,M1,S2... I wasn't allowed to take FM due to only having a B at GCSE and I've come along way since then and they're finally entering me after my 98 in Core 1, Further maths isn't much different from standard maths in AS year anyways so its perfectly manageable to self-teach and gives me a headstart when I actually have to self-teach

But surely before you need to do S1, M1, C1-4, have you done them already?
Reply 102
Original post by JerzyDudek
But surely before you need to do S1, M1, C1-4, have you done them already?
Nope? People do AS maths and further maths together; C3 and C4 barely interrelate with FP1, and even then FP1 is like its own separate module, the only thing that has come up from c3 and c4 is parametric equations and iteration, not that either of those are massive challenging
Reply 103
Original post by Lord Frieza
It's so surprising how you have such good work ethic.
Learnt it quicky in sixth form shortly after my average gcses. Had so much freetime with 3 Alevels so decided to self-teach to fill in the gaps and ensure I'm a competitive applicant
Original post by Felix Felicis
Bit homoerotic

It's just a verb...?
Original post by milienhaus
Ok, I do Maths at Cambridge and people here definitely have resat modules. OP, if you can get all your grades up to A's (and your Maths/FM grades to high A's, preferably over 90%) your application will be fine.

are cambridge going to care about resitting january modules for bio and chem if im trying to apply for maths
Reply 106
Original post by yoitsro
are cambridge going to care about resitting january modules for bio and chem if im trying to apply for maths

No-one definitively knows, but it does make a difference yes.
Original post by yoitsro

Not very much if they end up a lot better, and assuming your maths/further maths scores are very good.
Reply 108
So I received my some of my AS level exam results today and I'd say I got Average technically speaking, ABC in Maths, Economics and History respectively. I'm looking to Apply to in the future, Cambridge/Warwick/Exeter/Bristol/Durham for mathematics in the future, however all of these technically speaking would like AAA at AS level, hence my decision.
The following UMS of my March Grades
Core Mathematics 1 - 98ums
Economics 1 - 76ums
HY2 (History) - 64ums

Now considering my hard work I'm personally devastated about econ and history... however I've gotta keep going and therefore I will be resitting these modules in the summer. Since economics at alevel and history at alevel are not closely related to maths; if I do not require resits in mathematics/FM will my application still be competitive? I got B's and C's at gcses so maybe this could factor in? What does everyone think, given the unis I'm thinking of will these two resits damage my application?

PS taking all FM modules in the summer

On the 'Bristol applicants stalking page', you've put that your AS grades were AAAA, not ABC?!
Reply 109
Original post by Derp96
On the 'Bristol applicants stalking page', you've put that your AS grades were AAAA, not ABC?!

I got ABC in my January results and got AAAA in my final results :smile: (I did say on the thread I'm doing further maths in June)
Reply 110
I got ABC in my January results and got AAAA in my final results :smile: (I did say on the thread I'm doing further maths in June)

Oh, my bad :smile:. Have you been made any offers yet?
Reply 111
Original post by Derp96
Oh, my bad :smile:. Have you been made any offers yet?

No offers yet but I've got 5 acknowledgements. I applied on the 11th and changed Bath in for Exeter out
Reply 112
No offers yet but I've got 5 acknowledgements. I applied on the 11th and changed Bath in for Exeter out

Nice. I'm hoping to make my applications this coming week. Trouble is, my GCSE's were below what I consider to be the general standard for uni's such as Bristol and Bath, I got really really bas AS results and I've had mixed opinions about my personal statement (ranging from one teacher sayings it was "the best mathematics personal statement they'd every seen" to another saying "Put it in the bin and start again" :frown:). Anyway, I'm applying to both Bristol and Bath, not feeling too confident though... :frown:
Reply 113
Original post by Derp96
Nice. I'm hoping to make my applications this coming week. Trouble is, my GCSE's were below what I consider to be the general standard for uni's such as Bristol and Bath, I got really really bas AS results and I've had mixed opinions about my personal statement (ranging from one teacher sayings it was "the best mathematics personal statement they'd every seen" to another saying "Put it in the bin and start again" :frown:). Anyway, I'm applying to both Bristol and Bath, not feeling too confident though... :frown:

Yeah my GCSEs are kinda below the standard as well. Well it depends how bad ur AS results are and it also depends on the type of school you're from for Bristol. Good luck anyway though!
Reply 114
Original post by Derp96

Yeah my GCSEs are kinda below the standard as well. Well it depends how bad ur AS results are and it also depends on the type of school you're from for Bristol. Good luck anyway though!

Don't worry about GCSEs, even Oxford care very little about them for undergraduate mathematics. Also, don't worry about your personal statement excessively - you're not going to be rejected on the basis of it.
Original post by Noble.
Don't worry about GCSEs, even Oxford care very little about them for undergraduate mathematics. Also, don't worry about your personal statement excessively - you're not going to be rejected on the basis of it.

Really? I think the GCSE thing is what puts many off applying for Oxford.
Original post by keromedic

I can't speak for other subjects but I'm under the impression that for maths, MAT + AS results + interview matter a lot more for Oxford. I seriously doubt they'd reject someone who can achieve 80%+ on MAT on the basis of poor GCSEs that are irrelevant to a maths degree.
Reply 117
Original post by keromedic

Yes, although I'm referring only to maths. They put significantly more weight on the MAT and interview performance to the point where the majority of decisions will be made purely on the basis of MAT/interview performance.
Original post by Noble.
Yes, although I'm referring only to maths. They put significantly more weight on the MAT and interview performance to the point where the majority of decisions will be made purely on the basis of MAT/interview performance.

Fair enough. I admit, I don't really pay attention to the details of non-medicine admissions. I may have to retract some advice I'd given to a couple individuals then!
Reply 119

Do Bristol supposedly prefer those who went to public schools? I'm at a state school, so I'm hoping this isn't the case... :L

Quick Reply

Latest