The Student Room Group

MSc Economics courses in Europe

Hi,

Recently graduated with a 2.1 in BSc Economics (66% avg.) from Southampton. Currently on an internship at a consultancy firm and looking for a place on an MSc Economics course in Europe starting next year.

I'm looking at English-taught courses in Europe such as those on offer at Pantheon-Sorbonne, St Gallen, and SSE. Unfortunately I have no clue on the relative prestige and quality of teaching at European universities so can only rely on online rankings - do I stand a chance of being offered a place at these institutions?

I mainly wish to study in Europe for the opportunity to live abroad and develop my language skills whilst deepening my understanding of Economics. Course fees are also significantly lower in Europe than back in the UK.

Can anyone suggest some reputable MSc Economics programmes in Europe?

It also depends on what you want to study (finance, business, economics...)... But here's a few universities you might give a look at:

Bocconi (Italy)
Bologna (Italy, LMEC program)
Pampeu Fabra (Spain)
Carlos III (Spain)
HEC Paris
Tilburg
Erasmus University Rotterdam
Stockholm School of Economics

They are not listed in any order... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Can you specify what area you are interested in: labour, IO, macro, finance, econometrics, monetary econ, european econ policy, behavioural, theory or empirical?

Some econ departments are strong in certain areas, so in order to make a recommendation, I need to know your preferences.
Reply 3
polscistudent88: Thanks, I'll have a look into those courses.

Tcannon: I'm interested in international finance, preferably the course should also have a strong quantitative component.
Reply 4
1 year MSc
Italy: EUI Florence
Holland: Erasmus, Maastricht, Tilburg
Belgium: Louvain, KU Leuven

2 year
Sweden: SSE, Lund
Germany: Bonn, Mannheim, Kiel, Constance
Switzerland: St Gallen Quant Econ, Zuerich, ETH Quant Finance, HEC Lausanne
France: Paris School of Econ, Science Po, Paris 1, HEC
Reply 5
What about the Bachelors Program for Economics?
I haven't come across many European universities outside of the UK to offer English taught degrees.
Can anyone recommend any they know of?
I know Bocconi has a intl economics and finance program. But what are the acceptance rates for international students like at Bocconi? Is it really difficult to get in?
Original post by linniehdr
What about the Bachelors Program for Economics?
I haven't come across many European universities outside of the UK to offer English taught degrees.
Can anyone recommend any they know of?
I know Bocconi has a intl economics and finance program. But what are the acceptance rates for international students like at Bocconi? Is it really difficult to get in?

I heard it is easier for international students than for Italians. Other universities might be Nijmegen, Erasmus University Rott, Tilburg, Amsterdam (Netherlands), Bologna, LUISS, Bocconi (Italy), Aalborg, Aarhus (Denmark), and Stockholm School of Economics. These should offers Bachelors in English. You should check the websites... I am also sure there will be some university in Germany offering English-taught Bachelors.
Original post by XXYYXX
polscistudent88: Thanks, I'll have a look into those courses.

Tcannon: I'm interested in international finance, preferably the course should also have a strong quantitative component.

Hi!
I saw Tilburg was already mentioned by Tcannon but I would also recommend not to restrict yourself to Economics if you are really interested in the quantitative component. You might also want to consider programs in the econometrics field. We offer several programs in that area but looking at your interests the following programs could be interesting for you:
- Econometrics and Mathematical Economics
- Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science

Alternatively we offer a track international economics and finance within our Economics Master which might be interesting. Of course you should also take a look at other universities and compare for yourself. I do know that Tilburg is the only university within the Netherlands to offer the specific combination of international economics and finance in a track. At other universities you normally choose either international economics OR financial economics.
You can take a look at http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/masters-programmes/ to find out more about the programs and feel free to ask me any questions if you want to know more. I could also bring you into contact with one of our current students if you'd prefer to hear what its like from somebody who's not working at the university ; )

Good luck with your choice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending