The Student Room Group

Who do you think should win the Balon D'or this year?

Poll

WHO SHOULD WIN 2013 BALON D'OR?

I've been hearing that FIFA has said that there would be 5 candidates this year so here are my top 4 contenders...

Ronaldo:
Will win because:
So far scored 63 goals this calendar year and he just can't stop scoring and has been phenomenal. Top scorer in Champions League

Won't win because:
No matter the amount of goals he has scored, he has no silverware to back up his astonishing 2013.

Messi:
Will win because:
45 goals so far in 2013 and has won his domestic league as well as being top scorer in Laliga with 46 goals.

Won't win because:
Simply has been unlucky with injuries as well as the fact that Barca got thumped in the semi finals by an impressive Bayern.

Ribery:
Will win because:
16 goals so far in 2013 and countless assists. Was fundamental in Bayern's treble winning season and won best European player of the year award. This definitely gives him the edge over Ronaldo and Messi.

Won't win because:
Goals wise, Ronaldo and Messi are far far superior and also the fact that from the quarters onwards of the Champions League, his performance level dropped slightly and robben took centre stage in the final. Moreover, many pundits are saying Bayern were an amazing 'team' and didn't rely solely on Ribery as well as the fact that there's a distinct possibility that he won't be present in the 2014 world cup (lost 2-0 to Ukraine in the 1st leg)

Ibrahimovic:
Will win because:
Has scored many marvellous goals this year (Goal against England is massively favourite to win Puskas award) and has led PSG to the French title in a long long time.
Along with Ronaldo, has started this season on fire.

Won't win because:
Many consider the French league to be weak compared to the other 3 top European Leagues

CONCLUSION:
In my opinion, I would believe its between Ribery and Ronaldo. I think Ronaldo would win it for 2013 although I do believe no player has won the Balon D'or without any silverware. Ribery has a huge opportunity to break the Duopoly on the Balon D'or but I just don't see him winning it for some odd reason.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Messi.
Reply 2
Added a poll for everyone to vote :smile:
Reply 3
Cristiano without a shadow of a doubt. He is in my opinion the greatest footballer of all time,
Reply 4
#Agbonlahor4ballond'or

But seriously, Ronaldo.
Messi.

Would like Ribery but doubt it because hes going to split votes with Schweinsteiger and Lahm.
Reply 6
Original post by Malevolent
Messi.

Would like Ribery but doubt it because hes going to split votes with Schweinsteiger and Lahm.

The votes generally tends to be split based on your nationality so been French Ribery should get quite a lot- most likely all the northern African votes and the French speaking sub Saharan African votes that doesn't go to yaya.

Don't see where the vote for Bastian will come from. Real shame.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ross Mc'Cormack.
Ronaldo.
Reply 9
Original post by Sgany
Messi.

He's injured again and is out for 2 months. For the first time, he might miss out on the top 2 spots for Balon D'or

Original post by Litterbug
Cristiano without a shadow of a doubt. He is in my opinion the greatest footballer of all time,

Original post by ninuzu
#Agbonlahor4ballond'or

But seriously, Ronaldo.

Yeah agree with both of you. I'm backing Ronaldo to scoop his 2nd Balon D'or

Original post by Malevolent

[QUOTE="419;45190313"]The votes generally tends to be split based on your nationality so been French Ribery should get quite a lot- most likely all the northern African votes and the French speaking sub Saharan African votes that doesn't go to yaya.

Don't see where the vote for Bastian will come from. Real shame.

Bastian has been in awesome form for Bayern and was the heart and engine of the Bayern team. Tbh, Balon D'or has preferred attacking plaayers these last few years and so therefore Gks, defenders and Defensive mids don't get a shout.

Original post by 90pies an hour
Ross Mc'Cormack.

Everyone has their own opinion :wink:
Reply 10
The BDor debate is overrated. A more or less meaningless individual trophy is getting much too much attention. And players like Ribery talk too much about it. It's like the matches in the past few weeks were more about how the BDor candidates fare than about football.

Having said that, Messi will win it. Not that I support it, but if you look at the voting statistics from previous years, this year's voters and their voting behaviour in the past, there's no way Ribery will beat him. Ronaldo might, but it will be hard. Messi's injury plays no role in this as the voting is over and most people probably have voted before Messi got injured again.

IF Ronaldo should manage it, he will have to live with the question whether this was due to Messi's injuries. But apparently he won't even come to the gala to accept it.
(edited 10 years ago)
If he wins of course it was due to Messi's injuries. Messi was way ahead until he got hurt.

Saying that if Ribery doesn't win then its pointless. Ribery was the difference maker in that Bayern side.
I agree about Bayern, Ribery was superb Bayern without him would still have been challenging for the Champions League. I think Ronaldo will get it because of his insane goal scoring form - including even that very important goal against Sweden.

I hope Zlatan gets it though - I'd be so happy if he did - he deserves one for sure.
Original post by That Bearded Man
I agree about Bayern, Ribery was superb Bayern without him would still have been challenging for the Champions League. I think Ronaldo will get it because of his insane goal scoring form - including even that very important goal against Sweden.

I hope Zlatan gets it though - I'd be so happy if he did - he deserves one for sure.

As others have said most of the voting will have been decided before Ronaldo's rich vein of form. It doesn't make a difference whether he scored yesterday or not :tongue:

I don't think Bayern would have won without Ribery. He was consistently the person who made things happen.
Reply 14
Original post by That Bearded Man

Same! Zlatan hasn't gotten the attention he deserves at those events. 10th place last year, a bit unfair if you consider his talent. At least the Puskas award should be his this year.

Speaking of which, all of you who haven't voted yet, do it: http://www.fifa.com/ballondor/puskasaward/

As for Ronaldo, the voting ended before the Sweden game, so it doesn't count - and this time, I'm really curious to hear how Ronaldo managed to sneak out of voting this time. He certainly was't injured. But he'll find another excuse, no doubt about it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by qua
The BDor debate is overrated. A more or less meaningless individual trophy is getting much too much attention. And players like Ribery talk too much about it. It's like the matches in the past few weeks were more about how the BDor candidates fare than about football.

Having said that, Messi will win it. Not that I support it, but if you look at the voting statistics from previous years, this year's voters and their voting behaviour in the past, there's no way Ribery will beat him. Ronaldo might, but it will be hard. Messi's injury plays no role in this as the voting is over and most people probably have voted before Messi got injured again.

IF Ronaldo should manage it, he will have to live with the question whether this was due to Messi's injuries. But apparently he won't even come to the gala to accept it.

you are actually kind of right

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/ballond'or/playeroftheyear(men)/01/98/07/84/fboawardmenplayer2012-bycountry.pdf

I cant see most of those Messi voters changing to Ronaldo or Ribery
lionel blatter will win for sure!
On one hand it's embarrassing for Ronaldo that he's supposedly going to boycott the awards over what were, in my opinion, harmless comments, but on another it's a breath of fresh air seeing a footballer, & someone so high profile, stick it to Blatter & FIFA :cool:.

For this reason, I hope Ronaldo wins.

Quick Reply

Latest