The Student Room Group

Am I wrong or is the textbook wrong?

I was helping someone I know out with a Maths question, but it seemed as if the textbook gave a different answer to the question than to the one we both got. Here is the question and all my working:

A rectangular prism has a square base xxm and volume 8m38m^3.

(i) Find an expression, in terms of x, for the height of the prism.

8=widthxlengthxheight[br][br]8=xXxXh[br]8=x2Xh[br]H=8x2[br][br]8 = width x length x height [br][br]8 = x X x X h[br]8= x^2 X h[br]H = \frac{8}{x^2}[br][br]

(ii) Hence, find the surface area of the prism.

The area of the prism's cross section is going to be: hXx h X x , which means that it is 8x\frac{8}{x}

The area of the base of the prism is: xXx=x2 x X x = x^2

The prism's other face is also equal to hXx h X x, so its area is 8x\frac{8}{x} too.

Which means that the total surface area of the prism is going to be all of those added together and multiplied by 2, hence the surface area is:

16x+16x+2x2=2x2+32x\frac{16}{x} + \frac{16}{x} + 2x^2 = 2x^2 + \frac{32}{x}. However the textbook says that the answer is x2+32xx^2 + \frac{32}{x}

So have I done something wrong or is the textbook wrong?

*Sorry for the incorrect use of the = sign; I didn't know how to get the identical sign with LaTex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by kingaaran
I was helping someone I know out with a Maths question, but it seemed as if the textbook gave a different answer to the question than to the one we both got. Here is the question and all my working:

8=widthxlengthxheight[br][br]8=xXxXh[br]8=x2Xh[br]H=8x2[br][br]8 = width x length x height [br][br]8 = x X x X h[br]8= x^2 X h[br]H = \frac{8}{x^2}[br][br]

The area of the prism's cross section is going to be: hXx h X x , which means that it is 8x\frac{8}{x}

The prism's other face is also equal to hXx h X x, so its area is 8x\frac{8}{x} too.

Which means that the total surface area of the prism is going to be all of those added together and multiplied by 2, hence the surface area is:

16x+16x+2x2=2x2+32x\frac{16}{x} + \frac{16}{x} + 2x^2 = 2x^2 + \frac{32}{x}. However the textbook says that the answer is x2+32xx^2 + \frac{32}{x}

*Sorry for the incorrect use of the = sign; I didn't know how to get the identical sign with LaTex.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Double check the question - if this is a solid prism then you are, of course, correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

use * or \times(×\times) to denote the multiplication operation. Equivalent is \equiv"\equiv".
Reply 3
Original post by keromedic
use * or \times(×\times) to denote the multiplication operation. Equivalent is \equiv"\equiv".

Okay, thank you very much! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
Double check the question - if this is a solid prism then you are, of course, correct

The question says that it is an "open rectangular bank"
Reply 5
The question says that it is an "open rectangular bank"

Then it does not have a "top" hence the missing x2x^2

Did it ask for the external surface area
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
Then it does not have a "top" hence the missing x2x^2

Did it ask for the external surface area

Oh, I understand now! (facepalm) No, it just said work out the surface area. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest