The Student Room Group

Can Some One Please Give Me advice, I feel like I'm failing Biology a

Im currently practicing AQA A Level Biology and I have two teacher, ill call the C and M
I am doing well in Cs class but I am completely failing Ms class,
I feel like I do everything and nothing works, I watch videos, i have revised the textbook, I do AQA a level past papers but whenever I do Ms papers they are completely different to what I have practiced.
She says the tests are based off the textbook but the textbook barely covers anything, and leaves a lot of knowledge out. The wording of the questions is complete ******** and the mark scheme is impossible to understand.
I've found out that she uses old spec papers but I can't find any of the papers or their mark schemes online

I've tried `asking her for a link to any website where there are old spec questions (2004-2009) twice but she gave the same response every time "FocUS on tHe QuEstIonS NoT The MarK SChemE"
The mark schemes are completely different to the AQA specification so how the **** does she expect me to just practice questions if both Mark schemes will give me different results to the same questions

what even worse is that she's writing the test herself so I'm completely ****ed, most of the class get D and Cs apart from the people who's siblings went to the school before.

PLEASE does anyone have any advice that I can use, Its my Goal to work in a biochemistry course but that's looking less likely every day
Original post by ZomboEd
Im currently practicing AQA A Level Biology and I have two teacher, ill call the C and M
I am doing well in Cs class but I am completely failing Ms class,
I feel like I do everything and nothing works, I watch videos, i have revised the textbook, I do AQA a level past papers but whenever I do Ms papers they are completely different to what I have practiced.
She says the tests are based off the textbook but the textbook barely covers anything, and leaves a lot of knowledge out. The wording of the questions is complete ******** and the mark scheme is impossible to understand.
I've found out that she uses old spec papers but I can't find any of the papers or their mark schemes online

I've tried `asking her for a link to any website where there are old spec questions (2004-2009) twice but she gave the same response every time "FocUS on tHe QuEstIonS NoT The MarK SChemE"
The mark schemes are completely different to the AQA specification so how the **** does she expect me to just practice questions if both Mark schemes will give me different results to the same questions

what even worse is that she's writing the test herself so I'm completely ****ed, most of the class get D and Cs apart from the people who's siblings went to the school before.

PLEASE does anyone have any advice that I can use, Its my Goal to work in a biochemistry course but that's looking less likely every day

at the end of the day she will not be writing your actual a level exam so i would suggest you focus on the new spec papers during your own independent revision
Reply 2
It's great to study using notes that other people have made which can sometimes explain something a little differently to what the textbook or the teacher do. At the end of the 2 years though you have the exam and even if you have just got U's in all of the exams, if you work hard then you can get a grade that you will be proud of. If you want to check out an example of some notes then: https://www.stuvia.com/doc/2808641/animal-transport-a-level-full-topic-notes-with-specification-points-ocr-a-level-biology
I get that it can all be so confusing but work hard at it and one of the great things is that you will find the ways of studying that work for you - not for the teacher! Please don't get bogged down in the teacher because I know exactly how bad teachers ruin a subject. Try and immerse yourself in the subject without thinking about the teachers or the bad grades. Work through the textbook or some notes slowly - writing down questions as you go. If you don't like your teachers then you can always ask one which you don't get taught by. You could also try some teachers on tiktok? I'm sure they'd love to help and I learnt quite a lot from them when I was studying.
At the end of the day don't burden yourself with getting the best grades, for the course that you need look at the grades that you need. work out the percentages and just do paper after paper after paper until you are familiar with the type of content that comes up. Look at the examiner reports and see where people went wrong. The end of topic papers literally mean nothing at the end of the day. Just work your damn hardest to get to the end of year 13 and get the grades. Think about the reward at the end and don't try and focus on the bad teachers - I have had so many bad teachers but when I stopped complaining and focussing on how hard done by I was by the fact that i had that teacher, my grades started to increase.
How have you tried revising from the textbook for example. I have studied for 14 years and I have only just found what works for me. So far it is great to write down the points that you need to know (only 1 or 2 paragraphs to start with), cover that up and then try and remember it again and write it out. Then once you've written all that you can remember then go in with another coloured pen and correct or tick the bits that were right and wrong. For the bits that are wrong, write the correct part next to it in a different coloured pen. Do this until you have got that part down and in your head. Then move onto the next section. It is time consuming but if you want to get into the biochemistry course then you have to put the effort in. I wish you all the best of luck and please work hard to achieve your goals! Please message or reach out if there is anything at all that I can do for you (Biology on non biology related!) xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending