The Student Room Group

Learning disability whilst doing further maths

Hi, i’m currently on my schools SEN list (not diagnosed with anything, as parents don’t believe in it, but most likely Autism/ADHD or a learning disorder), and taking maths and further maths, as it is my passion and something i want to pursue at university. However, because of my learning issues I find it impossible to focus in class, and process the material (the textbook is formatted so poorly) and i’ve been dropping marks and getting things wrong despite understanding the content, to the point it’s lowered my mood, as I know no matter what i do I’m just going to get it wrong. I constantly feel stupid and useless, and hate feeling this way about a subject i love so much. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What do I do?
Original post by SM409
Hi, i’m currently on my schools SEN list (not diagnosed with anything, as parents don’t believe in it, but most likely Autism/ADHD or a learning disorder), and taking maths and further maths, as it is my passion and something i want to pursue at university. However, because of my learning issues I find it impossible to focus in class, and process the material (the textbook is formatted so poorly) and i’ve been dropping marks and getting things wrong despite understanding the content, to the point it’s lowered my mood, as I know no matter what i do I’m just going to get it wrong. I constantly feel stupid and useless, and hate feeling this way about a subject i love so much. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What do I do?

I would talk to SEN staff at your school and say that you are struggling with focusing in class and processing information in the textbook. Because you are on the SEN register, the school need to make reasonable adjustments so that you can learn properly. They may be able to suggest things that might make things easier for you.

Quick Reply

Latest