The Student Room Group

How should I organise learning C1,C2,S1 AND C4?

Yupp I have 5 MATHS EXAMS THIS SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm struggling to keep up with revision for C1 and C2.

C3 has been a cruise the whole year, M1 I'm not retaking and C4 I've just finished partial fractions.

The problem I have is how should I organise the remaining units?

C1 is the unit I struggle with the most, my basic math is extremely poor, C2 I only struggle with binomial expansion and circles.

For S1 I've finished DRV and probability.

Any advice on how to organise the revision, what to start with and what I should give more attention to?

(Aiming for a B in Maths)
Reply 1
I don't understand how C3 has been a cruise, yet you have extremely poor basic maths skills
Reply 2
Original post by Namige
I don't understand how C3 has been a cruise, yet you have extremely poor basic maths skills

I got 95% in the mock, the thing that let me down was a C2 trig question.

C3 is a very nice unit because the trig required is based on intuition rather than rote learning.

I like having questions that make me think.

C1 is based mainly on algebra which I can't easily manipulate, infact the hardest chapter in C3 for me is the first one.
In addition, the maths finally links to something I'm learning (Physics) which motivates me to learn it, C3 is really handy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Lord Frieza
I got 95% in the mock, the thing that let me down was a C2 trig question.

C3 is a very nice unit because the trig required is based on intuition rather than rote learning.

I like having questions that make me think.

C1 is based mainly on algebra which I can't easily manipulate, infact the hardest chapter in C3 for me is the first one.
In addition, the maths finally links to something I'm learning (Physics) which motivates me to learn it, C3 is really handy.
C3 assumes good knowledge of C1 & C2. I still don't understand how you struggle to manipulate algebra, but are able to do so in C3, which is much harder.
Reply 4
Yupp I have 5 MATHS EXAMS THIS SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm struggling to keep up with revision for C1 and C2.

C3 has been a cruise the whole year, M1 I'm not retaking and C4 I've just finished partial fractions.

The problem I have is how should I organise the remaining units?

C1 is the unit I struggle with the most, my basic math is extremely poor, C2 I only struggle with binomial expansion and circles.

For S1 I've finished DRV and probability.

Any advice on how to organise the revision, what to start with and what I should give more attention to?

(Aiming for a B in Maths)

Hey I'm doing all the modules this year :smile: i did AS last year but i had some personal issues so I'm doing the whole year this year :smile: You find C1 hard :s-smilie: C1 is a piece of piss in comparison to C4 and C2, i do admit that C3 and C1 are the easiest modules(on AQA anyway) I'm also doing M1(I'm in physics A2 so its piss easy) and D1. C4 is definitely the hardness unit imo.

But back to the question at hand: I'm doing it how I'm being taught them so. C1 and C3 im getting at least B's on atm in terms of past papers. While C2 and C4 i haven't done all that much revision due to not having finished the units yet(although i already know all the stuff in C2). If i was you i would really work on ur C1 as its a gift compared to the other units imo....
Reply 5
Original post by Namige
C3 assumes good knowledge of C1 & C2. I still don't understand how you struggle to manipulate algebra, but are able to do so in C3, which is much harder.

The only overlap I've seen are graph functions.

One reason why I do well in C3 is because instead of learning formulae I have learnt to derive them from past knowledge.

My C1 is the weakest by far and I need to know how to organise the remaining units or I will, yet again, fail in C1.
Reply 6
Original post by cuckoo99
Hey I'm doing all the modules this year :smile: i did AS last year but i had some personal issues so I'm doing the whole year this year :smile: You find C1 hard :s-smilie: C1 is a piece of piss in comparison to C4 and C2, i do admit that C3 and C1 are the easiest modules(on AQA anyway) I'm also doing M1(I'm in physics A2 so its piss easy) and D1. C4 is definitely the hardness unit imo.

But back to the question at hand: I'm doing it how I'm being taught them so. C1 and C3 im getting at least B's on atm in terms of past papers. While C2 and C4 i haven't done all that much revision due to not having finished the units yet(although i already know all the stuff in C2). If i was you i would really work on ur C1 as its a gift compared to the other units imo....

Thank you for your reply, I will give C4 my main attention followed by C1.
I also had personal issues. I keep getting Cs in C1 which is no good...

How often are you revising Maths in comparison to the others?

I have Physics which is a blessing and English which consumes a lot of time.
Reply 7
Thank you for your reply, I will give C4 my main attention followed by C1.
I also had personal issues. I keep getting Cs in C1 which is no good...

How often are you revising Maths in comparison to the others?

I have Physics which is a blessing and English which consumes a lot of time.

Hmm it sounds bad but probably in equal measure to Physics A-level. I'm also retaking Chemistry A2 as i got a C last year due to missing loads of lessons and recovering from an operation :/ I really think you need to sit down with your teacher and explain your problems with solving basic equations etc etc.
Reply 8
Original post by cuckoo99
Hmm it sounds bad but probably in equal measure to Physics A-level. I'm also retaking Chemistry A2 as i got a C last year due to missing loads of lessons and recovering from an operation :/ I really think you need to sit down with your teacher and explain your problems with solving basic equations etc etc.

Thanks, considering it's basic algebra I think I could get some extra support. Still that worrying feeling in your stomach that the exam might slap you in the face
Reply 9
Thanks, considering it's basic algebra I think I could get some extra support. Still that worrying feeling in your stomach that the exam might slap you in the face

Just msg me any time you want help with anything and I'll be happy to help

Have you considered working through one of the "bridging the gap between GCSE and A Level" books - they unpick the algebra that you need to know

If you can confidently do C3 then it is clear that your algebra skills are not as limited as you think - I would guess that you simply were not ready for A level when you began C1, causing you to sink, panic, and decide that you cannot do it

I would aim to do a C1, C2, and C3 paper once a fortnight - with revision on a single problem topic from each in between - add in a C4 and S1 paper once a week from the end of March and do the same
Reply 11
Original post by TenOfThem
Have you considered working through one of the "bridging the gap between GCSE and A Level" books - they unpick the algebra that you need to know

If you can confidently do C3 then it is clear that your algebra skills are not as limited as you think - I would guess that you simply were not ready for A level when you began C1, causing you to sink, panic, and decide that you cannot do it

I would aim to do a C1, C2, and C3 paper once a fortnight - with revision on a single problem topic from each in between - add in a C4 and S1 paper once a week from the end of March and do the same

Oh wow, I never actually considered that, thank you the past paper organisation with revision sounds really good. I'll give it a go!

Quick Reply

Latest