The Student Room Group

Who do you think should win the Balon D'or this year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bammy jastard 27
While I haven't watched them(don't watch internationals bar the odd england borefest and world cup/euros/copa america), he's been scoring a goal a game for them the past year.

Messi wouldn't handle it at a cold wet night at the britannia I guess? :rolleyes:

Messi cant do it without Xavi/Iniesta and co. Ronaldo could do it with Cleverley and Denilson. Ibrahimovic too.
Reply 241
Original post by Zürich
Ronaldo has been doing even better for Portugal :smile:

Ronaldo has 11 goals in 10 appearances, Messi has 6 goals in 7 appearances for club and country the past year. Nobody is doing any better than the other, both are scoring roughly a goal a game.
Reply 242
Original post by Zürich
Messi cant do it without Xavi/Iniesta and co. Ronaldo could do it with Cleverley and Denilson. Ibrahimovic too.

Is your aim to make as many categorically misguided generalisations as possible?

If Sturridge can score goals playing with Joe Allen and raheem Sterling. Then Messi can clearly do the same.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

You really are clueless. Messi has scored 18 goals in his last 16 for Argentina whereas Ronaldo has scored 15 in his last 22 for Portugal...

As for the Xavi/Iniesta comment it's quite obvious you never watch Barcelona play or the la liga in general, do you?
Is your aim to do as many categorically misguided generalisations as possible?

Just my opinion, Ronaldo is less reliant on specific style of play than Messi.

Not too fussed anyway, I'm an Ibra fanboy.

Original post by Jordooooom
You really are clueless. Messi has scored 18 goals in his last 16 for Argentina whereas Ronaldo has scored 15 in his last 22 for Portugal...

As for the Xavi/Iniesta comment it's quite obvious you never watch Barcelona play or the la liga in general, do you?

Not that much. But you dont need to watch Barca/Elche to know about Messi,

Football is not so complicated :rolleyes:
Abandoning this topic anyway, too many people emotionally invested in Messi to rationally discuss. I've committed some kind of blasphemy here :rolleyes:
Reply 247
Original post by Zürich
Ronaldo has been doing even better for Portugal :smile:

Not really though... bar that second leg against Sweden. Some of Portugal's games in the world cup qualifying campaign really missed a bit of team play from Ronaldo. Argentina qualified convincingly in what you could say was a tougher qualifying group, with Messi scoring 6 goals more than Ronaldo even though he was played behind a striker. Or what Portugals are you referring too?

Edit: Would always welcome to rationally discuss this, but tbh the emotional investment on both sides is too high usually.

Definitely agree, hopefully Ronaldo beasts it this season so it is an actual duopoly rather than messi or ronaldo. The thing is though, for a so called complete footballer Ronaldo is revered to be, he has some missing links to his play. His passing isn't the greatest(although he has good link up play) and decision making is poor compared to Messi like you said his long range shooting is rather overrated(as are his freekicks)

I do think however if Barca get knocked out by City in the CL, then it will be a dent for Messi this year. So they'd have to win that for sure which isn't guaranteed, considering how they struggled against Milan last year.

I think Messi's 2012 caught up with him and that Villanova/Roura didn't know how to keep him fresh, Tata is starting to get the best out of Messi too. Lets see how he does.

Probably a mixture of burn out/fatigue and being rushed back to play too early. Also, his long-term physio was promoted as some of the medical stuff left for Bayern, so he didn't have as much time for him anymore. The time in Argentina probably did him good and Martino's man management looks promising, so we'll see. He'll certainly be a bit more cautious now though.

Barca - City is a tough call. Their attack is flourishing more than ever too, with 5 players having scored ~15 goals this season - considering City's mediocre defence and Barca's immense defensive improvement under Martino, that could be decisive. But going out will certainly hamper Messi's chances, that's true..

Agree about your points on CR - for me he's more a complete athlete than a complete footballer, which doesn't mean that he isn't an amazing footballer. Nowadays he seems too selfish, doesn't use his vision, horrendous defensive contribution, no real link-up play, just shoots whenever he can - not what he used to be for United. Overall I'd also say he's not as naturally talented as Messi, but that's not really definable. He usually makes up for that with his great physical strengths though. Anyway, don't want to get too much into it out of fear for CR7-Messi debates.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 248
Full voting list:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/ballond%27or/playeroftheyear%28men%29/02/26/02/68/fboaward_menplayer2013_neutral.pdf

Looks like the media voting helped CR and killed Messi.

Fun(ny) fact: This is the first time CR took part in the voting, having previously always managed to avoid voting due to "injuries". Kinda sweet of him to vote for Özil.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 249
Original post by Zürich
Abandoning this topic anyway, too many people emotionally invested in Messi to rationally discuss. I've committed some kind of blasphemy here :rolleyes:

Messi didnt even score in copa america. He has better players around him: Di maria, lavezzi, aguero, masho, zabby,higuain. And besides Brazil and Uruguay there is no competition for argentina. Look at the crap players ronaldo has compared to mess internationally.. then look how hard it is for portugal to win the euro's even though ronaldo took them almost to the final..
Reply 251
Original post by Pistol 33
Messi didnt even score in copa america. He has better players around him: Di maria, lavezzi, aguero, masho, zabby,higuain. And besides Brazil and Uruguay there is no competition for argentina. Look at the crap players ronaldo has compared to mess internationally.. then look how hard it is for portugal to win the euro's even though ronaldo took them almost to the final..

Copa America was 2011. Brazil wasn't even in the WC qualifying group - they are qualified as they are the host countr,y remember? Crap players around Ronaldo: Coentrao, Pepe, Nani...

:lol: Portugal have crap players, portugal almost took them to the final? They didn't even play anyone decent apart from Germany and Spain where they got beaten both times.
Original post by Jordooooom
:lol: Portugal have crap players, portugal almost took them to the final? They didn't even play anyone decent apart from Germany and Spain where they got beaten both times.

comparing ageuro to almeda... nani to di maria,..... lavezzi... and if you think copa america is harder to win than euro's you're lost
comparing ageuro to almeda... nani to di maria,..... lavezzi... and if you think copa america is harder to win than euro's you're lost

Argentina have good attackers and not much else. Portugal's talent is more evenly spread out which could be seen as more of an advantage. Did I say the copa america is harder to win? I said Portugal didn't have the toughest route to the Semi Finals and Ronaldo in no way 'carried' his team.
Wow, today has hit the Messi fan-boys much harder than I predicted.

I guess it shows, the good boys don't always win. Ronaldo being the big, bad wolf of course.
Original post by Manchester United
Wow, today has hit the Messi fan-boys much harder than I predicted.

I guess it shows, the good boys don't always win. Ronaldo being the big, bad wolf of course.

Yeah it's disgusting how the media portrays Ronaldo as the bad one and Messi as the humble and good one. They are both humble and they should be judged on their football not their lifestyles and attitude. Ronaldo deserved it for 2013.
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Yeah it's disgusting how the media portrays Ronaldo as the bad one and Messi as the humble and good one. They are both humble and they should be judged on their football not their lifestyles and attitude. Ronaldo deserved it for 2013.

Humble people don't build museums of themselves... just saying. Anyway, no one judges their football on how humble they are. In fact one of Ronaldo's best features is his passion and hard work.
Lol at the award still having credibility. Lost all that when it was conveniently extended and Messi was up for it instead of Lahm.
Cristiano got back on the scoresheet at the Bernabéu and, as well as going out to the late, great Eusébio, who died this week at the age of 71, his two goals were also dedicated to a special guest in his VIP box. The boy in question, Jorge, was diagnosed with cancer this past September.

When Ronaldo heard about Jorge's story, he sent him a signed picture and even reached out to him over the phone. He subsequently invited the youngster who is a huge CR7 fan and used to copy the Portuguese ace's haircuts before he lost his hair due to chemotherapy to watch the Celta game.

Very few celebrities, let alone footballers would do something like that, and do it not for publicity.

Quick Reply

Latest