The Student Room Group

Sam sqa 2013-14

Scroll to see replies

SQA Star Awards celebrate the top achievers and institutions each year. Entertainment provided by top musicians from amongst the schools is never less than awesome. Looking forward to the awards tomorrow night! Gonna be a big night.
Fantastic evening at the Star Awards - congrats to all the winners and thanks to the brill young musicians. Now where's my ukelele?
A few people looking for past papers for the new Nationals - obviously there are no past papers, but you can get smaple papers from our website. Go to http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/43583.html.
Planning MySQA for next year - anything I can do better/different that would be useful to you?
(edited 10 years ago)
So some of you have started Prelims already. Good luck!
Reply 25
Original post by mysqa
So some of you have started Prelims already. Good luck!

Thank goodness my prelims are not till January. This year is flying by though!!
Reply 26
Original post by Apologetic Cube
How are you expected to cover Units 1 and 2 of a Higher/Advanced Higher before Christmas?

Thats what i wondered hahaha!
Reply 27
Hi there, smart people of student room.
Could anyone help us with this question please?
For which of the following reactions would the value of ΔG-ΔH be approximately zero?
A) CaCO3(s) --> CaO(s) + CO2(g)
B) C(s) + H2O(g) --> CO(g) + H2(g)
C) Zn(s) + 2H^+(aq) --> Zn^2+(aq) + H2(g)
D) Cu^2+(aq) + Mg(s) --> Mg^2+ (aq) + Cu(s)
Could you please explain the answer please ! (answer is "D")
Original post by Pliskin
For which of the following reactions would the value of ΔG-ΔH be approximately zero?

Obviously I know the answer to that, but I can't be seen to help... :wink:
Original post by mysqa
Obviously I know the answer to that, but I can't be seen to help... :wink:

Prelims are generally seen as a snapshot of where you are, even if you haven't yet covered all of the curriculum yet. If you know what you've covered to date properly then you should do okay.
Original post by Pliskin

You know that the enthalpy change, ΔH is distributed between a free energy change, ΔG and a change in entropy? That is: ΔH = ΔG + TΔS. If ΔG-ΔH is approximately zero, then ΔS must also be approximately zero. So the question becomes which reaction will show a minimal change in entropy. You should know that the entropy of 1 mol of gas is significantly more than 1 mol of a solid/liquid/solution.
Happy 2014 one and all! For those of you sitting exams, I hope you get the result you deserve! Which means you need to keep studying... :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by mysqa
Happy 2014 one and all! For those of you sitting exams, I hope you get the result you deserve! Which means you need to keep studying... :smile:

Happy new year to you too SAM! Lets hope i get the grades i need aha or no uni for me:wink: Although a lot of us need to find the motivation to study first...
Original post by lala4
Happy new year to you too SAM! Lets hope i get the grades i need aha or no uni for me:wink: Although a lot of us need to find the motivation to study first...

You should be able to find all the motivation you need in your own post. But I'll add a bit more and say you'll make me very happy if you get the results you need. :wink:
Prelim fever has taken a firm grip - most of you have just sat or are about to sit them. Good luck with them, they're worth the effort. Not just as an insurance policy for the real exams, but as a marker for where you're at. Do well and you can revise with confidence. Not so well, and you know exactly how much you have to do to catch up.
Are we all coping with the Prelims thing? I always found them worse than the real exams, but they're a good way of testing your knowledge under pressure conditions and realising that you know nothing and you better get on with some studying...or at least I did...
Prelims well under way for many now. Good luck with them. Not long now till I start SAM's Study Tips for 2014 - so stay tuned!
Prelim fever has taken a firm grip - most of you have just sat or are about to sit them. Good luck with them, they're worth the effort. Not just as an insurance policy for the real exams, but as a marker for where you're at. Do well and you can revise with confidence. Not so well, and you know exactly how much you have to do to catch up.

I heard that there were no appeals this year, is this true?
Original post by Apologetic Cube
There is an appeal system in place for candidates with "extenuating circumstances", so, for example, if you happened to be exceptionally ill or if you had experienced a death in the family. However, candidates who simply "under-perform", for no particular reason, are no longer allowed to appeal. They can, however, request their paper be remarked.

But isnt that a bit unfair on us since some people in previous years got successful appeals because they underperformed?
Original post by Pennyarcade
But isnt that a bit unfair on us since some people in previous years got successful appeals because they underperformed?

Exactly, but there were far too many people attempting to get appeals when they apparently had 'no good reason.' They've changed it now because of the introduction of nationals, so because we are theoretically the last year of highers, we are slightly disadvantaged as we won't get appeals that used to be available... :\

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending