The Student Room Group

Why don't those in business get held up to the same scrutiny as Russell Brand?

It seems when there is a dissenting voice the media is so quick to scapegoat the issue on a personality and not deal with the issue.

Have a read.....

http://neuroticsanonymous.wordpress.com/2014/01/23/a-metaphorical-rock-russell-brand-and-the-injustice-of-violence/
lol Big business is criticised all the time in the media. Do you even watch the news or read newspapers?

I swear none of you lot do, you just assume the media doesn't report anything you want because you've already decided the media is evil due to illuminati or some other potatoeness.

It's like this moron on my Facebook who slammed the media for not reporting the stuff going on in Syria. Or this tit I know who was trying to convince me that the British media only talk about Ballotelli and never the ills of guys like John Terry. He admitted he hadn't read a British newspaper in over a decade.
Original post by KimKallstrom
lol Big business is criticised all the time in the media. Do you even watch the news or read newspapers?

I swear none of you lot do, you just assume the media doesn't report anything you want because you've already decided the media is evil due to illuminati or some other potatoeness.

It's like this moron on my Facebook who slammed the media for not reporting the stuff going on in Syria. Or this tit I know who was trying to convince me that the British media only talk about Ballotelli and never the ills of guys like John Terry. He admitted he hadn't read a British newspaper in over a decade.

Agreed. Too many on here have their little conspiracy therories. Big business is criticised all the time. However, if you only read the back of cereal packets or something you won't realise, nor will you do so if you have a desire to overstate the corruption of the media.

Sometimes this is the case-certain things go unreported. But people overstate it IMO.
Reply 3
There is a vague criticism for business, when there is it is rarely specific and never damaging. Russell Brand got a lot more criticism for that Paxman interview than anyone ever received for tanking the nations economy and not one person served a day in jail for it.

The comparison hardly stacks as equal does it? One was an opinion, the other threw the world into chaos and many into poverty. The point has been made that he shouldn't get so much attention, he's just a narcissistic actor. I would agree with that if the media and politicians (and therefore so many of their voters and readers) actually dealt with the real issues of our time. The fact it took an actor to say those things says more about the gulf they have left than the morals and motivations of such weak opposition.
Reply 4
Original post by Jetboy
There is a vague criticism for business, when there is it is rarely specific and never damaging. Russell Brand got a lot more criticism for that Paxman interview than anyone ever received for tanking the nations economy and not one person served a day in jail for it.

The comparison hardly stacks as equal does it? One was an opinion, the other threw the world into chaos and many into poverty. The point has been made that he shouldn't get so much attention, he's just a narcissistic actor. I would agree with that if the media and politicians (and therefore so many of their voters and readers) actually dealt with the real issues of our time. The fact it took an actor to say those things says more about the gulf they have left than the morals and motivations of such weak opposition.

Yes, I agree. It feels like the last days of Rome.
Reply 5
Are you saying that the richest people on the planet are truthful and desperately need defending from such powerful people as tin foil hat conspiracy theorists? Or is it more likely that a media that is owned by said billionaires might just engage in a little propaganda?

The rich conspire to become richer, it's human nature. We have only one way to make sure they don't cause the kind of misery they did when they virtually destroyed the economy, hold them accountable. Not one served a day in prison, how can you say this isn't a problem? It's beyond debate that it happens, what you do about it is another matter.
Apart from the criticism of Google, Starbucks, Amazon etc then some tosser like Brand gets lionised for his vague ramblings which are no more informative than the sort of soap-box level **** Sun reading drunkards come out with
Reply 7
Original post by yo radical one
Apart from the criticism of Google, Starbucks, Amazon etc then some tosser like Brand gets lionised for his vague ramblings which are no more informative than the sort of soap-box level **** Sun reading drunkards come out with

Sun readin drunkards are your best example of anti-establishment? And are you seriously comparing corporations who pay next to no tax to someone's opinion on an interview? You think they have had the appropriate amount of criticism for their "Crimes"?

Again, how much of a problem has this caused the faceless people at the top of those corporations? what has changed in banking culture since they brought down our economy? Tokenism and a huge bail out, poor things.
Original post by Jetboy
Sun readin drunkards are your best example of anti-establishment? And are you seriously comparing corporations who pay next to no tax to someone's opinion on an interview? You think they have had the appropriate amount of criticism for their "Crimes"?

Again, how much of a problem has this caused the faceless people at the top of those corporations? what has changed in banking culture since they brought down our economy? Tokenism and a huge bail out, poor things.

Obviously you're an expert on the internal workings of major world banks :yep:

I mean everyone knows the nameless faceless CEO's of these companies are a massive secret than only the illuminati lizardmen (and people do can use Wikipedia/watch the news) get to know

anyway

Ron Paul/Russell Brand 2016

Heard it first here
Reply 9
So your point is because I do not know every working part of a major bank I cannot be outraged at the parts I do know? On top of that I cannot have a dissenting opinion unless I believe in the conspiracy wing of the American Libertarian nut jobs?

Original post by yo radical one
Obviously you're an expert on the internal workings of major world banks :yep:

I mean everyone knows the nameless faceless CEO's of these companies are a massive secret than only the illuminati lizardmen (and people do can use Wikipedia/watch the news) get to know

anyway

Ron Paul/Russell Brand 2016

Heard it first here
Original post by Mourinho<3
Agreed. Too many on here have their little conspiracy therories. Big business is criticised all the time. However, if you only read the back of cereal packets or something you won't realise, nor will you do so if you have a desire to overstate the corruption of the media.

Sometimes this is the case-certain things go unreported. But people overstate it IMO.

But you get people who claim that the media are in the pocket of elite businessmen/politicians etc.

Is that why every newspaper in the country repeatedly printed Stephen Hester's pay packet? Is it why every newspaper in the country printed countless MPs' expense claims?

To claim these people do not get held accountable compared to idiot celebrities on a self-righteousness binge is a joke.
Reply 11
Original post by KimKallstrom
But you get people who claim that the media are in the pocket of elite businessmen/politicians etc.

Is that why every newspaper in the country repeatedly printed Stephen Hester's pay packet? Is it why every newspaper in the country printed countless MPs' expense claims?

To claim these people do not get held accountable compared to idiot celebrities on a self-righteousness binge is a joke.

Well I didn't say there was no criticisms but these are tactical depending on which party that newspaper is currently supporting. It is a joke that they are compared but the fact you find self-righteousness as the bigger evil of the two is astounding.
Original post by Jetboy
Well I didn't say there was no criticisms but these are tactical depending on which party that newspaper is currently supporting. It is a joke that they are compared but the fact you find self-righteousness as the bigger evil of the two is astounding.

You didn't read my post properly. I said every newspaper in the country because that's what happened.

ALL newspapers went on the attack against the banks when that all happened. ALL newspapers attacked MPs expenses when it broke.

I'm clearly not saying that self-righteous moron celebrities are the bigger evil. Good reading comprehension you have there. I was telling you it's a joke that you claim that big business etc do not get held to account like Russell Brand etc, when they evidently do, which you evidently ignore.
Reply 13
I totally understood what you wrote. The newspapers went after a few scapegoats and I repeat, not one person served a day. Compare that to the constant onslaught of the unemployed. If you believe that the country was brought to the brink of financial ruin by them then yes, the bankers did get the appropriate amount of criticism.

I'm not sure why you are so angry with me, because I disagree? It perfectly illustrates the over the top reaction to anyone who dares question it.

Do you think you can reply by not using words like "Moron" or "Idiot" or questioning my skills of comprehension? Seems like you have some issues. Maybe because you were not a very good footballer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending