The Student Room Group

A Level options HELP !!!: Environmental science

Hiyaaa

I'm struggling to choose my third option for my a levels. I've chosen chemistry and geography as my first 2 and with results day on its way I'm grasping at straws. I was wondering if people with knowledge on environmental science could tell me their a level options or what they would recommend. Particularly I'd like to know if its more a knowledge based (e.g on landforms etc) or science and especially maths based. My thoughts for my third options include RE and mathematics.

p.s I have the intention of getting into a Russell group uni which is going to be competitive to get into hence why I want to maximise every chance I've got

Thank you very much to everyone for their help in advance and wishing everyone well!!!
Chem and geog will likely meet any subject requirements.

Some applicants will choose biology- is that something that you would enjoy?
Most EnvSci degrees also include aspects of environmental business and law so business studies or a humanities subject like politics or history can be useful.

Environmental science isn’t a massively competitive degree (most people at 17/18 don’t really understand what it is so demand is lower than lots of other subjects) so the key to maximising your offers is about picking A level subjects that meet the subject requirements and that you’re likely to enjoy and get the best grades in.
what they said ^ definitely pick your favourite subjects to make A levels enjoyable and grades better. Having said that maths is super useful in this subject area.

Do you know which bits of Enviro Science interest you? - its fine if you don't (look at some Uni programmes / modules if it helps. You can always choose a more flexible Uni programme with lots of options), its quite a broad subject area with lots of potential directions afterwards. FWIW my eldest daughter started here (sort of), got interested in the politics side more and went to do that. My other daughter started here and biased towards conservation biology

Have to ask, why Russell Group? You know its just a club of Unis that bid for research funding? It can be nice to have research informed teaching at UG but some RGs don't have the best teaching quality.

There are some other excellent Unis in this space, Lancaster for one. During our tours of Uni Open Days I have to say Sheffield Hallam made the biggest impact, the staff were so enthusiastic - do pick the Uni for the course, and think about Uni industry connections, placement years etc too because it will help a lot with employability
As above. UEA is one of the best places in the country for EnvSci. Likewise Reading if you’re interested in meteorology aspects and Bangor if you’re interested in marine biology/oceanography (and all 3 due to really strong research departments in those topics). RG isn’t worth much at all for undergraduate studies - it’s a brand.
The following is an example of entry requirements for environmental science:

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/environmental-science-bsc-hons-f750/2024/#course-entry

Have a look at the entry requirements on the course pages of other unis and consider a course with a placement year/opportunities, which will add to your graduate CV.
Original post by xvltyz
Hiyaaa

I'm struggling to choose my third option for my a levels. I've chosen chemistry and geography as my first 2 and with results day on its way I'm grasping at straws. I was wondering if people with knowledge on environmental science could tell me their a level options or what they would recommend. Particularly I'd like to know if its more a knowledge based (e.g on landforms etc) or science and especially maths based. My thoughts for my third options include RE and mathematics.

p.s I have the intention of getting into a Russell group uni which is going to be competitive to get into hence why I want to maximise every chance I've got

Thank you very much to everyone for their help in advance and wishing everyone well!!!

As you have already been advised your have 2 preferred subjects so the 3rd should be something that interest you and you will enjoy and get good results in.

In terns of subjects Maths opens more doors than other subject so would be ideal but only do it if you re good at it and enjoy it. Biology is probably the best fit for an environment course so that is worth considering. One area you need to check out is whether environmental subject is considered too close as it will probably overlap with Geography
Original post by xvltyz
Hiyaaa

Hi @xvltyz,

I'm a chemistry undergraduate but in my first year I studied environmental science as my minor. I studied The Earth's Interior, Geology, Biogeochemical Cycles, Hydrology and Atmosphere, Weather & Climate. I did not do mathematics at A-level and the maths involved in these modules were within my capabilities. I would say that it is more knowledge-based in these modules specifically but that is not to say that other modules don't have more maths based components. On most uni websites, you can see a more detailed structure of modules you could take. For example, a breakdown of modules at Lancaster can be found here https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/environmental-science-bsc-hons-f750/2024/#structure. Reading about the modules may help you understand more if you need to do A-level maths or you can take RE.

At Lancaster, I know that the environmental science course requires you to take a numerical skills module if you don't do A-level maths. It gives you the need-to-know knowledge for the rest of your degree. This suggests to me that other modules have more elements of maths but the A-level is not strictly necessary. The purpose of this module will be to bring everyone's knowledge up to the same level. Similarly, if you do not take chemistry, there is an additional introduction module to take.

My advice would be to research the institutions you are interested and check you meet their entry requirements. If you meet them with your already chosen subjects, then choose an A-level that you enjoy or show an aptitude for because it may make it easier to succeed in your A-levels if you show a true interest in it. You could also try to get some relevant work experience, which might help you stand out as a candidate when applying to Russel Group universities.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions let me know
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 7
Original post by ChiefBrody
what they said ^ definitely pick your favourite subjects to make A levels enjoyable and grades better. Having said that maths is super useful in this subject area.

Do you know which bits of Enviro Science interest you? - its fine if you don't (look at some Uni programmes / modules if it helps. You can always choose a more flexible Uni programme with lots of options), its quite a broad subject area with lots of potential directions afterwards. FWIW my eldest daughter started here (sort of), got interested in the politics side more and went to do that. My other daughter started here and biased towards conservation biology

Have to ask, why Russell Group? You know its just a club of Unis that bid for research funding? It can be nice to have research informed teaching at UG but some RGs don't have the best teaching quality.

There are some other excellent Unis in this space, Lancaster for one. During our tours of Uni Open Days I have to say Sheffield Hallam made the biggest impact, the staff were so enthusiastic - do pick the Uni for the course, and think about Uni industry connections, placement years etc too because it will help a lot with employability

I'm not too sure what interests me as both human and physical geo if both of interest to me but honestly I think I'm leaning towards physical geo aka the more sciencey aspect. As for why I want to go to a Russel group uni the main reason if because it's been a "dream" I guess as the first child to go to uni and it's also been advised by my teachers. I have the grade for it so I thought why not? I don't have the capability or freedom to go further than south wales / mid wales or maybe south west England if I'm pushing it?? I'd like to go where I want but ultimately I can't and am restricted to the unis where I'm located hence why the wants for a russell group uni (because it's one of the closest to me). Actually if I think about to most schools close to me are russel group anyways, although I haven't set my heart on it ! If they were more readily available I'd love to have opportunity at an apprenticeship but thats a whole other thing. Wishing you and your daughters all the best !!
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
As above. UEA is one of the best places in the country for EnvSci. Likewise Reading if you’re interested in meteorology aspects and Bangor if you’re interested in marine biology/oceanography (and all 3 due to really strong research departments in those topics). RG isn’t worth much at all for undergraduate studies - it’s a brand.

I see I've stated my reasons for wanting a Russel group uni elsewhere but now I'm having second guesses or more like becoming more open minded to other unis. Would you happen to know any good unis for EnviSci in south or mid wales or even south west england?? I'm aware bangor is in wales but I'm based in south wales and uni wise can't go far hence why I'm more focused on the uni opposed to the course. Thank you for replying to my post.
Original post by xvltyz
I see I've stated my reasons for wanting a Russel group uni elsewhere but now I'm having second guesses or more like becoming more open minded to other unis. Would you happen to know any good unis for EnviSci in south or mid wales or even south west england?? I'm aware bangor is in wales but I'm based in south wales and uni wise can't go far hence why I'm more focused on the uni opposed to the course. Thank you for replying to my post.

Southampton isn’t quite SW but it’s close enough (and on a direct train route to Cardiff) - good for Env Sci but also Oceanography and Marine Biology.

The met office moved from Reading (which is why reading has a strong core of met) to Exeter. Tbh though Reading is likely a shorter distance from SWales than Exeter (and I’d personally rate it higher than Exeter for ES). It’s an hour and a half direct train from cardiff - reading but 2 hours plus with at least 1 change to get to Exeter

They’re both RG (well apart from Reading) but that’s not what makes them good at ES.

most students will get to and from home on the train - have you had a look at train routes and travel times from where you live? Distance as the crow flies is often not a good indicator of travel times.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @xvltyz,

I'm a chemistry undergraduate but in my first year I studied environmental science as my minor. I studied The Earth's Interior, Geology, Biogeochemical Cycles, Hydrology and Atmosphere, Weather & Climate. I did not do mathematics at A-level and the maths involved in these modules were within my capabilities. I would say that it is more knowledge-based in these modules specifically but that is not to say that other modules don't have more maths based components. On most uni websites, you can see a more detailed structure of modules you could take. For example, a breakdown of modules at Lancaster can be found here https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/environmental-science-bsc-hons-f750/2024/#structure. Reading about the modules may help you understand more if you need to do A-level maths or you can take RE.

At Lancaster, I know that the environmental science course requires you to take a numerical skills module if you don't do A-level maths. It gives you the need-to-know knowledge for the rest of your degree. This suggests to me that other modules have more elements of maths but the A-level is not strictly necessary. The purpose of this module will be to bring everyone's knowledge up to the same level. Similarly, if you do not take chemistry, there is an additional introduction module to take.

My advice would be to research the institutions you are interested and check you meet their entry requirements. If you meet them with your already chosen subjects, then choose an A-level that you enjoy or show an aptitude for because it may make it easier to succeed in your A-levels if you show a true interest in it. You could also try to get some relevant work experience, which might help you stand out as a candidate when applying to Russel Group universities.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions let me know
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thank you for the reply !! It was very informative. I think I can stop worrying about not having sufficient knowledge or having a less of an advantage because after doing some research to my knowledge the maths modules is more stasticial than what I'm familiar.

Quick Reply

Latest