The Student Room Group

5th Uni Choice?????

I’m in year 13 and I’m struggling to decide on a 5th uni choice for a Politics degree. I’m applying to LSE, UCL, Warwick (AAA) and York (AAB). I am struggling to decide on a fifth. I’m thinking about Bath, SOAS, KCL, Bristol ect. But I am looking for a top uni with a good social life, somewhat diverse and good graduate prospects and the unis ive looked at seem to fall short of that.
I’m predicted A*A*A and my GCSEs are 9988888887.

THANK YOU X
Reply 1
Original post by mimi1111
I’m in year 13 and I’m struggling to decide on a 5th uni choice for a Politics degree. I’m applying to LSE, UCL, Warwick (AAA) and York (AAB). I am struggling to decide on a fifth. I’m thinking about Bath, SOAS, KCL, Bristol ect. But I am looking for a top uni with a good social life, somewhat diverse and good graduate prospects and the unis ive looked at seem to fall short of that.

THANK YOU X

What is the definition of a "top" university? Equally, why does it matter if social life and job prospects are your key requirements? Top universities don't necessarily have the best job prospects because their priority is in marketing their brand as a "top" university rather than focussing on quality teaching or supporting students to get jobs.

Please remember that in the real world, no one cares about the colour of your tie. Similarly, being in a "top" university is pointless if it is not supporting and helping you achieve. You do know that Russel Group universities only got their name because some Vice Chancellors met up in a bar in Russel Square, London once?
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/sep/10/is-the-russell-group-still-relevant

So open your mind and pick universities that will work for you rather than those you perceive to have prestige. Honestly, no one cares about prestige except your ego.
And remember that you can submit your favourite 4 now and carry on researching your fifth choice until the January deadline.

THANK YOU X

Have a look at Southampton Uni: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/politics-degree-bsc

Surrey Uni: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/politics

Newcastle: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/l200/

THANK YOU X

As above, definitely remember you don't need to add all your choices at the same time - you just need to add them all by the January deadline :smile:

I'd recommend taking some time before adding more choices and see if you can attend some open days and/or do more research on the unis.

@umbrellala might be able to give some more insight into the department at SOAS as she did a joint honours course with IR which is based in the same department I believe, although the modules might be a bit different?
Reply 5
Original post by hotpud
What is the definition of a "top" university? Equally, why does it matter if social life and job prospects are your key requirements? Top universities don't necessarily have the best job prospects because their priority is in marketing their brand as a "top" university rather than focussing on quality teaching or supporting students to get jobs.

Please remember that in the real world, no one cares about the colour of your tie. Similarly, being in a "top" university is pointless if it is not supporting and helping you achieve. You do know that Russel Group universities only got their name because some Vice Chancellors met up in a bar in Russel Square, London once?
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/sep/10/is-the-russell-group-still-relevant

So open your mind and pick universities that will work for you rather than those you perceive to have prestige. Honestly, no one cares about prestige except your ego.

If you are not going to be helpful please don’t reply to my thread. I am aware of the superficial RG label which is why I included schools such as SOAS and Bath which are not RG however very good.

I don’t appreciate your condescending response as I am well aware that the career market is extremely competitive and vicious. Being a black woman from a low income background this will only be exemplified as I will face discrimination and bias. I simply seek to make top jobs less hard to reach by going to a ‘top’ uni which these jobs will target and make networking much much easier.

I also seek to have fun at uni which is why I included ‘good social life’ and ‘diversity’ as wishes but not requirements.

I assume your ego has been hurt, not only by your blatant ignorance of what people other that yourself (privileged white men) experience in the job market as well as day to day life, but also by your bitter response which makes me think that you simply fell short of the universities I am aiming for (despite your white privilege).

Honestly, no cares about your response if it is not relevant to what I asked so please save yourself the time writing out paragraphs and go somewhere you are wanted. Thanks
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
If you are not going to be helpful please don’t reply to my thread. I am aware of the superficial RG label which is why I included schools such as SOAS and Bath which are not RG however very good.

I don’t appreciate your condescending response as I am well aware that the career market is extremely competitive and vicious. Being a black woman from a low income background this will only be exemplified as I will face discrimination and bias. I simply seek to make top jobs less hard to reach by going to a ‘top’ uni which these jobs will target and make networking much much easier.

I also seek to have fun at uni which is why I included ‘good social life’ and ‘diversity’ as wishes but not requirements.

I assume your ego has been hurt, not only by your blatant ignorance of what people other that yourself (privileged white men) experience in the job market as well as day to day life, but also by your bitter response which makes me think that you simply fell short of the universities I am aiming for (despite your white privilege).

Honestly, no cares about your response if it is not relevant to what I asked so please save yourself the time writing out paragraphs and go somewhere you are wanted. Thanks

I'm sorry to choose to take my comments as condescending. They certainly were not intended that way. I am aware of a huge number of students who put prestige above all else in the false belief that going to a "top university" will somehow make them more employable or give them better opportunities in the future when the sad truth is that this is not the case. I have interviewed 1st class honours Cambridge graduates and being genuinely quite disappointed by their lack of connection to the real world and hence they were not successful in getting the job I was interviewing for.

You asked a question. I answered it. Please don't shoot me down just because you don't agree with whatever I have to offer. I am sure you know best so all the very best of luck to you.
Reply 7

THANK YOU X

hey girl doing the same course as you and i've applied to two of the same as you( UCL and LSE). Lmk where else you ended up applying and how you're feeling!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending