The Student Room Group

Art and design

Been given my Art exam paper, and it isn't what I expected. I am predicted an A on all my coursework, but when it comes to creating my own final piece i don't know what I am going to do. We have been told it can basically be anything. none of the titles are standing out: openings
disguise
atmosphere
edges
arrangements
texture
fragments
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Disguise is quite interesting! That could take you anywhere with masks or disguising personality and could really have some depth to it. For edges you could look at burhan dogancay. I'm using him as an artist link and he does ripped paper so maybe some macro. Edges is also ambiguous like sharp edges for boxes etc and the meaning behind these. Are you a level or GCSE by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I don't think you should even think about your final piece yet. The idea is to explore whichever theme you choose and then naturally come towards a decision for what you want to do for a final outcome. I found that when I let the process just happen, I produced much better final pieces, but for my exam unit, I put too much thought into it and didn't produce a very good piece, and I lost a few marks.

As for a theme, I like the idea of fragments, but whatever you choose, you can always manipulate it and make your artwork about something you find interesting, as long as there is a tiny hint of the original topic left in there.

Dont forget to enjoy yourself, as art is supposed to be enjoyable, but I found that a lot of people let it get them stressed out and they didn't do so well!
Reply 3
To be fair those are pretty rubbish words: if I remember correctly mine were a bit more accessible eg. culture, so I can understand why you're having issues.

I'm a bit stumped too all I can think of:

Atmosphere - you could take this quite literally and do like something from outer space looking back at the earth or whatever, I know this is probably not what they mean by 'atmosphere' but it is art so it's always open to interpretation :wink: Otherwise you could do an atmospheric scene like a street scape of Paris or London in mist.

For texture you could do something with trees, their bark has a lot of texture in it so you could do like a close up.

I think the others are a bit rubbish to be honest :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey I'm doing art and design GCSE too but i'm doing OCR board so I have a different list of themes to choose from. I've chosen these 4 so far: drop spill or break; mobile; weave; or montage. Anyone got ideas for these???
Reply 5
I am currently doing GCSE but may take it for A level too. Thank you for your help I think i am now considering the others before making a set decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by charlie144
I am currently doing GCSE but may take it for A level too. Thank you for your help I think i am now considering the others before making a set decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! You said you are on an A grade for your coursework. Do you have 4 Assessment Objectives for it and is the coursework worth 60%?? Can you tell me what you have to do to get a high grade please? I'm on not very good grade right now as I have a bad teacher. Thanks!!!!!!!
Reply 7
yes, and to get the high grades you just have to listen to watch your teacher has told you. (eg) if one of your objectives is experiment with different media and materials (if im correct, cant quite remember) but i had to do a tribal book and basically you can do anything really. I did dream catchers, drawing of tattoos, bought a mask and typed in on Google tribal mask followed the design and painted it. If you did a 3D drawing of a sweet rapper, put all the minor details in when your sketching it and then even though coloring it in may be a bit boring that is what will make yours stand out. what grade are you working at, at the moment?
Reply 8
yes, and to get the high grades you just have to listen to watch your teacher has told you. (eg) if one of your objectives is experiment with different media and materials (if im correct, cant quite remember) but i had to do a tribal book and basically you can do anything really. I did dream catchers, drawing of tattoos, bought a mask and typed in on Google tribal mask followed the design and painted it. If you did a 3D drawing of a sweet rapper, put all the minor details in when your sketching it and then even though coloring it in may be a bit boring that is what will make yours stand out. what grade are you working at, at the moment?

Did u have to do lots of writing? Also when they say artist research do you always have to respond to their works?? I'm on a really low grade at the moment, C/D. I'm working to improve it right now and hopefully make it a C/B. I have a really bad teacher who doesn't teach what to do which is frustrating!!
Reply 9
Original post by cherrypiez
Did u have to do lots of writing? Also when they say artist research do you always have to respond to their works?? I'm on a really low grade at the moment, C/D. I'm working to improve it right now and hopefully make it a C/B. I have a really bad teacher who doesn't teach what to do which is frustrating!!

Hi, I got 99% in art last year only dropping two marks on my final piece for the exam unit. I made sure to do lots of writing, evaluating every drawing and experiment in my sketchbook, and I tried to vary my work as much as possible, working large, small, in paints, pencils, pastels, photography etc.

For every artist I studied,I chose one of their works and wrote a lengthy analysis, saying how I want to take ideas from it for my own work and then I chose another piece and tried to copy it. Then I produced designs of my own but working in the style of the artist and when producing final pieces I really emphasised how much I was influenced by the artists I researched. I hope this helps!
Reply 10
I have the same set of questions and I was so disappointed. I've chosen to do fragments and I've actually found some really good artists on Pinterest so you could have a look on there to find artists that you could use for your topic. Hope this helps:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Im at this stage, and im not sure at the moment. But after reading some of the comments i think i get the idea. Also i found a picture on pintrest of a face and then an atmosphere within the face. i really like this idea is there any changes i could make to it to make it my own. i want to do it on canvan and use paint and then in places use magazing paper. Would you rate this idea for a high grade student. thankyou.
Original post by Alex Pee
Hi, I got 99% in art last year only dropping two marks on my final piece for the exam unit. I made sure to do lots of writing, evaluating every drawing and experiment in my sketchbook, and I tried to vary my work as much as possible, working large, small, in paints, pencils, pastels, photography etc.

For every artist I studied,I chose one of their works and wrote a lengthy analysis, saying how I want to take ideas from it for my own work and then I chose another piece and tried to copy it. Then I produced designs of my own but working in the style of the artist and when producing final pieces I really emphasised how much I was influenced by the artists I researched. I hope this helps!

Hi thanks for the info really helpful! My teacher told me that when making works but not final pieces you should try to work out of the sketchbook and work on canvases etc. Is this true to get a higher grade?? Also, How did you lay everything out? Did you do a piece of artwork then evaluate it on the same page? Or put sticky notes next to your work? Or write on the next page leaving half blank pages? Or do lots of artwork then evaluate them all on one page afterwards?
Reply 13
Hi thanks for the info really helpful! My teacher told me that when making works but not final pieces you should try to work out of the sketchbook and work on canvases etc. Is this true to get a higher grade?? Also, How did you lay everything out? Did you do a piece of artwork then evaluate it on the same page? Or put sticky notes next to your work? Or write on the next page leaving half blank pages? Or do lots of artwork then evaluate them all on one page afterwards?

I did most of my drawings in my sketchbook, and I typed all of my notes up so that everything was neat, but honestly the neatness of your book will not affect your mark and it's fine to hand write stuff.

But yeah I think your teacher is right, mine encouraged me to work outside of my sketchbook too, so that you can show that you can work on larger drawings, although I only ever did one canvas, the rest were things like chalk drawings on large pieces of sugar paper. Also try to use as many different mediums as you can. Even if you hated pastels, at least do one drawing with them and say why you don't like them and if you think the drawing worked well or not.

Generally I'd have observational work at the start, around one drawing per page with an evaluation on the same page. If I did a large piece I would take a photo and stick it in so you can still evaluate it. Then I did a section about artist analysis then eventually moved on to final piece ideas.

Try to fill all of your pages up so there's not too much blank space, but don't waste time filling blank space in with colourful patterns and paint swirls as it won't gain you marks.

My sketchbooks all look very rigid and neat but personally I don't think it looks very creative, just experiment until you find a way or presenting your work which you are happy with.
Reply 14
Been given my Art exam paper, and it isn't what I expected. I am predicted an A on all my coursework, but when it comes to creating my own final piece i don't know what I am going to do. We have been told it can basically be anything. none of the titles are standing out: openings
disguise
atmosphere
edges
arrangements
texture
fragments
Any ideas would be appreciated.

I've got the same exam paper as you for this year. LOL my art class had a similar reaction to this. They are quite vague, aren't they? But I guess that is the point.

Anyway. The exam is pretty much the same as the coursework, except you aren't given any help from the teachers. So basically work at the same pattern as you have done for the past two years, but also taking into account all the stuff you've learned (Art-related things such as techniques and all that stuff or basic things such as time-management etc.)

Possible ideas off the top of my head:

Disguise: Work with materials (focus on texture, collage?) // Hmm maybe relate to camouflage > animal textures e.g. zebras > this could lead to nature stuff // could do fashion related such as masks // look stuff up like Jean-Paul Bourdier.

Fragments: Work with glass > stain glass/mosaic etc. > use pieces to make a collage/ tessellations?

I could go on and on. But you have to start brainstorming. I suggest you first make a large brainstorm after choosing a topic that looks promising. They are meant to be vague because it's up to you to narrow it down until you get to your final piece.

So really you don't need to worry about your final piece at the start because you need to first develop your ideas.
I have this paper and i like it because you can pick practically anything I've picked arrangements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alex Pee
I did most of my drawings in my sketchbook, and I typed all of my notes up so that everything was neat, but honestly the neatness of your book will not affect your mark and it's fine to hand write stuff.

But yeah I think your teacher is right, mine encouraged me to work outside of my sketchbook too, so that you can show that you can work on larger drawings, although I only ever did one canvas, the rest were things like chalk drawings on large pieces of sugar paper. Also try to use as many different mediums as you can. Even if you hated pastels, at least do one drawing with them and say why you don't like them and if you think the drawing worked well or not.

Generally I'd have observational work at the start, around one drawing per page with an evaluation on the same page. If I did a large piece I would take a photo and stick it in so you can still evaluate it. Then I did a section about artist analysis then eventually moved on to final piece ideas.

Try to fill all of your pages up so there's not too much blank space, but don't waste time filling blank space in with colourful patterns and paint swirls as it won't gain you marks.

My sketchbooks all look very rigid and neat but personally I don't think it looks very creative, just experiment until you find a way or presenting your work which you are happy with.

Thanks! When you say larger drawings, can i just do a pencil drawing on an A3 piece of paper or that just not good enough? Also, have you ever done a final series of photographs? Im doing one now but do i just stick them in my sketch book in A4 or am i supposed to do something else, put it out of my sketchbook?? Also, does using different tools in Photoshop count as using different mediums or techniques ???
Thanks!
Reply 17
Yes photoshop counts as a technique but it is always essential that it refined and not left with seriously feathered edges and poor finishes. If you do use it, as any other technique you need to evaluate it, pros, limitations, development points, further refinement if needed. Ect.

A picture of work completed outside your sketch book with a mini mockup in your book should be sufficient. As always, evaluations are necessary.

Is your final piece (to be supported by/ supposed to be stand alone) photographs? If you are thinking about presentation ideas, I think bringing in different props and elements to make your photograph fit and say what you want it to. In a mirror, in a bicycle basket, in a flower pot on a table, sticking out of a newspaper/briefcase or handbag.

Thanks! When you say larger drawings, can i just do a pencil drawing on an A3 piece of paper or that just not good enough? Also, have you ever done a final series of photographs? Im doing one now but do i just stick them in my sketch book in A4 or am i supposed to do something else, put it out of my sketchbook?? Also, does using different tools in Photoshop count as using different mediums or techniques ???
Thanks!

Thanks!
Original post by Acrostics
Yes photoshop counts as a technique but it is always essential that it refined and not left with seriously feathered edges and poor finishes. If you do use it, as any other technique you need to evaluate it, pros, limitations, development points, further refinement if needed. Ect.

A picture of work completed outside your sketch book with a mini mockup in your book should be sufficient. As always, evaluations are necessary.

Is your final piece (to be supported by/ supposed to be stand alone) photographs? If you are thinking about presentation ideas, I think bringing in different props and elements to make your photograph fit and say what you want it to. In a mirror, in a bicycle basket, in a flower pot on a table, sticking out of a newspaper/briefcase or handbag.

Ok thanks! But does using Photoshop count as one technique or does for example overlaying count as one then using the hue/ saturation tool count as another and then the invert tool count as another technique??? Also, in Assessment Objective 1, it says "all research must relate to topic". I'm doing Fear of Spiders but most of my research isn't about spiders of fears at all but artworks on facial expressions and dreams which have ideas I want to use in my project. Will these research still count for marks??
Reply 19
In annotations you can say why this is relevant (exploration of phobias) you are suppose to show development of your ideas so may have initially began on looking at spiders texture. You may have bought fabroc which mimics their texture. Then you looked at observational drawings of legs and their qualities. Then made 3D bits of legs. And then looked at its impact pn people. You may use photoshop as t is usually used during the night and halloween ect ect. Spiders hisorically in art medicinal or for other purposes, present day. Artists, photographers, news reports.

Using different resources to supprt what you are saying get you more marks. So for example adverts of spiders or documentaries of their movement.

Photoshop is one technique. Hue, saturation, curves, filters all together count as one technique. You get extra marks by using advanced and refined outcomes when using the techniques. If you have time look on youtube oh how to make illusions and other creative moving things on photohop. They'll give you walk through tutorials and the highest marks!

Quick Reply

Latest