The Student Room Group

I need a teacher to write my reference for Uni, feeling a bit lost? :,)

Hello, I am in the process of applying to a university for their foundation course in Art and Design (I am applying directly through the university, hence why I am able to apply passed the UCAS deadline). To apply, I need to send a reference from a teacher. The reason why I’m feeling a little lost is because none of my A-Level subjects relate to Art and Design. I take Biology, Chemistry and English Literature. (2 years ago thought I was going to go into medicine LMAO). Will this be an issue at all? Which teacher should I go to? Will it be possible for any of them to write a reference for me in spite of the fact that I am applying for an Art and Design course? Any advice would be highly appreciated :.))
Original post by Bruhskii
Hello, I am in the process of applying to a university for their foundation course in Art and Design (I am applying directly through the university, hence why I am able to apply passed the UCAS deadline). To apply, I need to send a reference from a teacher. The reason why I’m feeling a little lost is because none of my A-Level subjects relate to Art and Design. I take Biology, Chemistry and English Literature. (2 years ago thought I was going to go into medicine LMAO). Will this be an issue at all? Which teacher should I go to? Will it be possible for any of them to write a reference for me in spite of the fact that I am applying for an Art and Design course? Any advice would be highly appreciated :.))

Have you done art and design as part of a levels in your college to ask your art teacher maybe?
Reply 2
Original post by Mohammed_2000
Have you done art and design as part of a levels in your college to ask your art teacher maybe?

No, I didn’t take art and design at A- Level 😔
No, I didn’t take art and design at A- Level 😔

Hmmm what a levels did you do?
Unless the uni have asked for a reference specifically from an art teacher it won’t be an issue.
Reply 5
Original post by Mohammed_2000
Hmmm what a levels did you do?

I’m doing Biology, Chemistry and English Literature
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Unless the uni have asked for a reference specifically from an art teacher it won’t be an issue.

Ahh okay. The uni doesn’t mention anything about A-Level art or art tutors so I’m guessing a general statement about my approach to academics should be enough then?
Ahh okay. The uni doesn’t mention anything about A-Level art or art tutors so I’m guessing a general statement about my approach to academics should be enough then?

Yes, it's more about confirming your general academic suitability for study at that level. Lots of people apply without having taken the same subject at AL for example, or where a personal tutor collates comments from other teachers.
@Bruhskii

I had a gap before my present course and had to ask a former lecturer to write a reference for me. This was perfectly fine, even though it was based on a totally different subject. It's basically a character reference and whether based on your character you have the qualities needed to succeed on the course e.g. hardworking, committed, focused, etc...

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 9
Thank you all! I have submitted my application and all of your comments have been very reassuring :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending