The Student Room Group

M1 Kinematics: 2 solutions , which is correct?

m1.PNG

In this question , the acceleration is worked out to be 0.34 ms^-2 in part a).

The problem is that in part b); to work out the total time taken for the car to travel to A to C; I used the suvat equation s=vt -0/5at^2, where s is the total distance; (100+300=400m), v is the final velocity when the car is at point C (20m/s) and acceleration as previously worked out is 0.34ms^-2. So all I have to do is work out t. However when using this suvat equation, I get two values of t; both are positive but only ONE is the right answer; which is 25.5s. (The other value is something like 94s). When using this equation, how could you possible know which one is the correct one, and thinking about it in terms of the question , how could there even be two possible times for the car travelling from A to C , because the car has a positive acceleration and only passes both points once, then accelerating off into the distance further away?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by scientific222
m1.PNG

In this question , the acceleration is worked out to be 0.34 ms^-2 in part a).

The problem is that in part b); to work out the total time taken for the car to travel to A to C; I used the suvat equation s=vt -0/5at^2, where s is the total distance; (100+300=400m), v is the final velocity when the car is at point C (20m/s) and acceleration as previously worked out is 0.34ms^-2. So all I have to do is work out t. However when using this suvat equation, I get two values of t; both are positive but only ONE is the right answer; which is 25.5s. (The other value is something like 94s). When using this equation, how could you possible know which one is the correct one, and thinking about it in terms of the question , how could there even be two possible times for the car travelling from A to C , because the car has a positive acceleration and only passes both points once, then accelerating off into the distance further away?

I don't know what sort of SUVAT equations you've been using, but I only get one value of t which is approx 25.5 seconds.
For your second value of t of 94s, the initial velocity is negative, and the car travels backwards from A, and comes to rest, and then starts moving forward, through A, to C.
Acceleration is constant throughout.
Original post by ghostwalker
For your second value of t of 94s, the initial velocity is negative, and the car travels backwards from A, and comes to rest, and then starts moving forward, through A, to C.
Acceleration is constant throughout.

How have you deduced that the initial velocity is negative and the car travels backwards from A?
Original post by scientific222
How have you deduced that the initial velocity is negative and the car travels backwards from A?

For suvat (constant acceleleration) the graph of the displacment is a quadratic. If you recall the shape.

If there are two solutions, one's on the up slope and one on the down. Moving forwards, moving backwards.

Quick Reply

Latest