The Student Room Group

How many hours are you revising each day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kendellex
I was going to go for medicine but then my love for geography over took and changed my mind :L
Do you do any sort of activity outside school like St. John ambulance or volunteering. They love that sort of stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I am doing volunteering but can't some to find a hospital :frown:
Original post by finnthehuman
Yeah I am doing volunteering but can't some to find a hospital :frown:

Email them. Just try your luck! Some places make you apply via your school and 'bid' for a time slot.
If you can't work in a hospital try a hospice of nursing home!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Email them. Just try your luck! Some places make you apply via your school and 'bid' for a time slot.
If you can't work in a hospital try a hospice of nursing home!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hehe thanks for the tips. Because I got no A* but all As, the teachers don't want to help me apply because I am a 'too weak' candidate lol. I will keep trying thanks for the help :smile:
Hehe thanks for the tips. Because I got no A* but all As, the teachers don't want to help me apply because I am a 'too weak' candidate lol. I will keep trying thanks for the help :smile:

That's a tad rude!
I know people who got all A's but they did a lot of volunteering and seemed to be a well rounded person because they got the offers and not the ones with all the A*s!
Ace your UKCAT and do well in your Alevels and you'll be fine (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You really think that?
Chemistry is hard but maths is quite easy compared to geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uh huh anyone with a decent memory can easily do well in geography, it's 90/120 for 100 UMS in the exam at AS
Original post by Davelittle
Uh huh anyone with a decent memory can easily do well in geography, it's 90/120 for 100 UMS in the exam at AS

AS is definitely a lot easier than A2.
What board are you doing? Our paper was only out of 90 (:
But maths is still easier :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a tad rude!
I know people who got all A's but they did a lot of volunteering and seemed to be a well rounded person because they got the offers and not the ones with all the A*s!
Ace your UKCAT and do well in your Alevels and you'll be fine (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, that's my plan. Just my school being a little bit b**chy about it. I am to do loads of volunteering soon. Thanks, hope you get/got your offer :biggrin:
Thanks, that's my plan. Just my school being a little bit b**chy about it. I am to do loads of volunteering soon. Thanks, hope you get/got your offer :biggrin:

Maybe even joining St a John Ambulance! I love it and you get trained for free :biggrin:
I got an offer and firmed for Nottingham

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 708
Structure is really important.
So always have a distinct introduction and conclusion.

In my introduction I always briefly say want I'm going to talk about in my main body of my essay. Also throw any definitions of geographical terms in here too.

In my conclusion, I always refer back to the question! If the question asks you to evaluate, this is the point at which you say if it's good/bad/whatever.

The main body takes a bit if practise. I depends on the essay on how you tackle this. If it's say 'The impacts of a named hurricane on people, the economy and the environment' I would obviously separate my main body into three paragraphs under those three headings. If it's something like 'Describe how a hurricane forms and it's impacts on people' I would have one paragraph explaining how it forms and one paragraph on impacts. In essays were it is possible to throw in a diagram like hurricanes, plate boundaries, depressions and ecosystems - throw the diagram in! You will get marks and it is then essay to describe the formation as you can refer to the diagram!

Avoid using terms like firstly, secondly, also, next, then etc. Its poor writing. Also when giving examples never say 'etc' It implies there are more but you don't know them :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many thanks for your help.:smile:
Anyone at AS level this year finding it really hard to gauge how much work needs to be done? Found GCSEs rather stress-free and easy to plan for, but this year I'm persistently perplexed as to whether or not I am working hard enough or on track to get the grades which I want despite the material proving easily manageable.
Reply 710
Original post by livealittle
Does anybody else find it easier to revise very early in the morning? Or is it just me.
I've realised my brain works better at around 2am.Any other time is so hard to concentrate:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did this for my AS exams, I think it because everyone's asleep so I feel calmer and more relaxed to revise at such crazy times, I've revised until 4am many times and slept straight after school then get up at 8 and do it again.. can't comment whether it's a good revision ratio or not but I have not failed an exam even if I have done little revision :biggrin:
Original post by Alex_Aits
Anyone at AS level this year finding it really hard to gauge how much work needs to be done? Found GCSEs rather stress-free and easy to plan for, but this year I'm persistently perplexed as to whether or not I am working hard enough or on track to get the grades which I want despite the material proving easily manageable.

Ha! Wait till you get to A2...its a total nightmare! I actually miss AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yellowglitter19
Ha! Wait till you get to A2...its a total nightmare! I actually miss AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing an A2 Maths this year plus another module and weirdly I'm finding it more manageable than any other subject haha! May be due to the fact that the maths teachers I'm being taught by are comparatively incredible though
AS is definitely a lot easier than A2.
What board are you doing? Our paper was only out of 90 (:
But maths is still easier :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm I think geography at our school is AQA (I dropped it at A2 though maybe it gets harder haha!)

But I would definitely have to disagree with you on the maths front, I got 140/140 and 50/60 in geography so 95% overall but only 88/100 100/100 and 87/100 in maths which is about 92% and I put in a hell of a lot more effort in maths than I did for geography! A hell of a lot more!
Original post by OHNOGEM
I did this for my AS exams, I think it because everyone's asleep so I feel calmer and more relaxed to revise at such crazy times, I've revised until 4am many times and slept straight after school then get up at 8 and do it again.. can't comment whether it's a good revision ratio or not but I have not failed an exam even if I have done little revision :biggrin:

That's crazy!

Original post by Alex_Aits
I'm doing an A2 Maths this year plus another module and weirdly I'm finding it more manageable than any other subject haha! May be due to the fact that the maths teachers I'm being taught by are comparatively incredible though

Good teachers do help :wink:.

Erm I think geography at our school is AQA (I dropped it at A2 though maybe it gets harder haha!)

But I would definitely have to disagree with you on the maths front, I got 140/140 and 50/60 in geography so 95% overall but only 88/100 100/100 and 87/100 in maths which is about 92% and I put in a hell of a lot more effort in maths than I did for geography! A hell of a lot more!

Maybe you're more gifted in writing essays than doing maths? I do maths and further maths and economics and I'm always struggling with economics as it consists of writing essays XD.
6 hours of revision every day?!

Well, A levels sound like such fun!
Original post by Dilzo999

Maybe you're more gifted in writing essays than doing maths? I do maths and further maths and economics and I'm always struggling with economics as it consists of writing essays XD.

Nah maths/science is my strong point (I would hope so as I'm doing natural sciences next year!), pretty much everyone in my year got an A in geography haha (just a regular state school as well).

I did minimal work for both maths and geography (mainly for family reasons). I did edexcel maths and got 96,95 and 91 all out of 100, but did CCEA geography and got A's in both papers. I can't remember my scores but 65/90 was equivalent to 80/100 in the physical paper. It was so hard to gain marks compared to maths!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I swear I still haven't started revising yet but I'm gonna do start today

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nowhere near enough... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending