The Student Room Group

Sarah Palin was Right!

Some American right-wingers have fished up a quote that resulted in Palin being widely mocked during the 2008 election, but which seems apposite today:

2008 Palin,
After the Russian Army invaded the nation of Georgia, Senator Obama's reaction was one of indecision and moral equivalence, the kind of response that would only encourage Russia's Putin to invade Ukraine next.

My impression is that Obama really is smarter than Palin, which surely helped him say the right wrong things to win an election; nonetheless Obama's mental model of how and why conflicts develop has proved much less accurate than Palin's. While Obama believed that disagreements between Russia and America were mostly based on avoidable misunderstandings and a disrespectful tone, Palin recognised that they were the result of divergent permanent interests.
Reply 1
Another quote, this time Obama mocking Romney for being concerned about Russia:

Obama, 2012
a few months ago when you [Romney] were asked what's the biggest geopolitical threat facing America, you said Russia.

The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War's been over for 20 years
Reply 2
Original post by Observatory

Russia is not the biggest threat to the US.

If he had been talking about Europe then maybe.
Reply 3
Some American right-wingers have fished up a quote that resulted in Palin being widely mocked during the 2008 election, but which seems apposite today:

My impression is that Obama really is smarter than Palin, which surely helped him say the right wrong things to win an election; nonetheless Obama's mental model of how and why conflicts develop has proved much less accurate than Palin's. While Obama believed that disagreements between Russia and America were mostly based on avoidable misunderstandings and a disrespectful tone, Palin recognised that they were the result of divergent permanent interests.

I think both sides are wrong and right here.

To start with i don't think Romney is correct, China is a greater threat. It simply shares the interests of the USA right now.

With regards to Palin though i absolutely think she's correct. Allowing Russia to annex territory without reproach was and is now an incredible act of weakness, Putin needs somebody that is capable of pushing back. I'd wager had the US or Europe moved forces to the Ukraine border and upped the rhetoric, Russia would have thought long and hard. With that being said i don't think it's due to divergent interests per say, it's simply that Obama is not interested in the Atlantic sphere. So far as Obama is concerned, the future of the USA lies across the Pacific and he appears to have little interested in defending Europe or engaging again in the Middle East.
Original post by redferry
Russia is not the biggest threat to the US.

If he had been talking about Europe then maybe.

Were you born yesterday?

Russian military doctrine calls for the use of tactical nuclear warheads on every battlefront. So you're saying the US losing 100k+ professional and experienced soldiers is not a threat?

That Russian military technology cannot match the US/Uks?

For the most part we have better conventional weaponry and vehicles, we do not however have the ability to shield out the 1000s of nukes they have.

Think before typing maybe?
Reply 5
Original post by TSRgawdlike
Were you born yesterday?

Russian military doctrine calls for the use of tactical nuclear warheads on every battlefront. So you're saying the US losing 100k+ professional and experienced soldiers is not a threat?

That Russian military technology cannot match the US/Uks?

For the most part we have better conventional weaponry and vehicles, we do not however have the ability to shield out the 1000s of nukes they have.

Think before typing maybe?

In terms of tensions I'm pretty sure America views the middle east and Iran as their biggest threat not Russia.

Just because a country has the military capability to be a threat doesn't mean the world works that way. Just because America is going into the Ukraine doesn't mean they're about to start on the US
Original post by redferry
In terms of tensions I'm pretty sure America views the middle east and Iran as their biggest threat not Russia.

Just because a country has the military capability to be a threat doesn't mean the world works that way. Just because America is going into the Ukraine doesn't mean they're about to start on the US

Erm, what?

America has everything to fear from Europe being near an opponent such as Russia.

You have ICBMs targeted at every majory EU and American city. You dont have a bunch of cave dwelling jihadis with that power.

The Red Army is scaring the **** out of every nancy in Europe. Look at the fear mongering, even though their troops are numerous they wouldn't stand toe to toe with ours.

However they have a lot of men and machinery to throw into a fight and nukes.

America backed down real quick over Syria when Russian military hardware and strategy entered the equation.
Reply 7
Erm, what?

America has everything to fear from Europe being near an opponent such as Russia.

You have ICBMs targeted at every majory EU and American city. You dont have a bunch of cave dwelling jihadis with that power.

The Red Army is scaring the **** out of every nancy in Europe. Look at the fear mongering, even though their troops are numerous they wouldn't stand toe to toe with ours.

America backed down real quick over Syria when Russian military hardware and strategy entered the equation.

You're paranoid.

Russia won't go to war with America.
Reply 8
Erm, what?

No one is going to win a nuclear war, so there's no motivation for Putin to start one...

Jihadists on the other hand would probably use nukes if they got hold of them, because they want to be martyred.
Reply 9

You really do not understand the situation? How's US affected by what is going on in Korea compared to the loom of missiles been fired to them by russian?

You could have Obama been trigger happy and doing a Reagan. That's decisive and effective right? Only for those people to come and attack America in future. :rolleyes:

This has nothing to do with America and most Americans don't want any involvement in this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Reply 11
Original post by 419
You really do not understand the situation? How's US affected by what is going on in Korea compared to the loom of missiles been fired to them by russian?

You could have Obama been trigger happy and doing a Reagan. That's decisive and effective right? Only for those people to come and attack America in future. :rolleyes:

This has nothing to do with America and most Americans don't want any involvement in this.

Remind me what great harm came to America as a result of the policies of Reagan? As opposed to the Soviet Union.
Reply 12
Whatever about Sarah Palin, what about this for a sublime quote from John Kerry-

"You just don't in the 21st century behave in 19th century fashion by invading another country on completely trumped up pre-text,"

Pot, kettle, black? Or was he having a sly dig at Bush by comparing him and Putin?
Reply 13
Remind me what great harm came to America as a result of the policies of Reagan? As opposed to the Soviet Union.

I call you and raise you with 9/11.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending