The Student Room Group

leeds beckett or uclan for computer science?

have offers for both- need to pick an insurance but i'm super indecisive! anything ppl liked/disliked about either uni would help.
Reply 1
Original post by kidscove
have offers for both- need to pick an insurance but i'm super indecisive! anything ppl liked/disliked about either uni would help.

Go to each. Look around. Ask questions. Imagine yourself living there. Make your own decision!

Good luck!
Original post by kidscove

Hi @kidscove, 👋

Amazing to read that you have received some offers to study Computer Science, you must be so pleased. 😊

Choosing which university to go to is an important decision and you have to think about where you can see yourself living for the next 3 years. Have you had chance to attend any open days as this is the best way for you to get a taste of university life by meeting current students and staff.

I might be a little biased as I can only speak for UCLan. Our BSc (Hons) Computer Science course offers students the option after completing their second year to go on a one year industrial placement. Most placements are UK-based, but some of our students have worked as far afield as Europe, Australia, Japan and the USA.

This course is taught at our Preston campus located right in the heart of the city and is surrounded by independent shops, high street favourites, cafes, bars and plenty of beautiful green spaces all in walking distance for students to relax and unwind in. We are located only a 10minute walk from Preston train station offer great links to Manchester and Liverpool and beautiful scenery in the Lake district only a short drive away.

I hope this help, do let me know if you have any questions,
Sarah
Reply 3
Original post by UCLan Ambassador

Hi @kidscove, 👋

Amazing to read that you have received some offers to study Computer Science, you must be so pleased. 😊

Choosing which university to go to is an important decision and you have to think about where you can see yourself living for the next 3 years. Have you had chance to attend any open days as this is the best way for you to get a taste of university life by meeting current students and staff.

I might be a little biased as I can only speak for UCLan. Our BSc (Hons) Computer Science course offers students the option after completing their second year to go on a one year industrial placement. Most placements are UK-based, but some of our students have worked as far afield as Europe, Australia, Japan and the USA.

This course is taught at our Preston campus located right in the heart of the city and is surrounded by independent shops, high street favourites, cafes, bars and plenty of beautiful green spaces all in walking distance for students to relax and unwind in. We are located only a 10minute walk from Preston train station offer great links to Manchester and Liverpool and beautiful scenery in the Lake district only a short drive away.

I hope this help, do let me know if you have any questions,
Sarah

sorry for the late reply! do you have any more information about the placement year? e.g. if specific grades are needed etc. thank you! :smile:
Hi @kidscove,

Thanks for your questions. Students on this course won't need specific grades for the placement year. The placement year is at the end of second year and students will need to apply to companies, so although there are no specific grade requirements, these companies will be looking for good performance. The grades achieved in first and second year will likely be the ones that the company looks at. Here at UCLan we do have a placements tutor and a placement officer that can help students with gaining a placement.

I hope this helps, 😊
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending