The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Accommodation at Greenwich

Hi!
I've applied to do events management at undergraduate level at the greenwich campus, the only problem is I can't decide what accommodation to apply for.
I want a busy one where I can meet loads of people with a good nightlife, so whats better avery hill or greenwich??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
HI! I've also got an offer for events management at Greenwich! I'm having the same problem! I want halls with a good vibe and that seems really studenty with good nightlife! Mines between McMillan student village and cutty sark as events events is on that campus and is closer to get into central for nights out! Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Reply 2
Original post by BPNE1
HI! I've also got an offer for events management at Greenwich! I'm having the same problem! I want halls with a good vibe and that seems really studenty with good nightlife! Mines between McMillan student village and cutty sark as events events is on that campus and is closer to get into central for nights out! Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah thats exactly my issue!!! i went and visited and a girl said that theres better nightlife at avery hill because theres the student union nightclub called sparrows there... but i think i wanna go mcmillian as isnt it shared with other unis?? so would be good for meeting loads of other people tooo!
Reply 3
Original post by aliceelizaah
yeah thats exactly my issue!!! i went and visited and a girl said that theres better nightlife at avery hill because theres the student union nightclub called sparrows there... but i think i wanna go mcmillian as isnt it shared with other unis?? so would be good for meeting loads of other people tooo!

Yeah I was thinking the same! I just want to stay somewhere with a good student vibe and with people who actually want to go out haha! I'd rather travel to the other unions then stay nearer to the unions and have to travel into my lectures and stuff if that makes sense!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know lots of people studying at the Greenwich campus stay at accommodation at Avery Hill but does anyone do it the other way round? The course im studying will be on Avery Hill campus but I much prefer the accomodation for the other campus.
Reply 5
Original post by BPNE1
Yeah I was thinking the same! I just want to stay somewhere with a good student vibe and with people who actually want to go out haha! I'd rather travel to the other unions then stay nearer to the unions and have to travel into my lectures and stuff if that makes sense!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeaah its so hard to choose as I don't know anyone that currently goes there!!
Reply 6
Original post by aliceelizaah
yeaah its so hard to choose as I don't know anyone that currently goes there!!

Yes same! I know nobody down south never mind London! I'm thinking the student village just for the fact there will be more people! But I also think Cutty Sark will have a good vibe as it will just be students from Greenwich campus! So hard deciding! Did you go to the taster session for events a few weeks back?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'm having similar problems but I'm doing Psychology at Avery Hill so presume I should be staying on the Avery Hill campus but to me I think the Greenwich campuses look better and closer to central so don't want to end up never going out because I'm too far away!
Reply 8
Original post by emilyrose19
I'm having similar problems but I'm doing Psychology at Avery Hill so presume I should be staying on the Avery Hill campus but to me I think the Greenwich campuses look better and closer to central so don't want to end up never going out because I'm too far away!

i really really cant decide!! i assume theyll be more people in the avery hill so you wont be left out?!
Reply 9
My business course is at Greenwich campus so I'll probably go for McMillan Halls as its close and as someone mentioned before its for students from other uni's too so will be cool to meet everyone :smile: But no question, being closer to central is a huge benefit for nights out I can't wait!
Reply 10
Original post by _Riz_
My business course is at Greenwich campus so I'll probably go for McMillan Halls as its close and as someone mentioned before its for students from other uni's too so will be cool to meet everyone :smile: But no question, being closer to central is a huge benefit for nights out I can't wait!

Exactly what I was thinking! However the other two halls are so much closer to the tube and bus stops! Also the new halls are apparently going to be really nice! But with a price tag to match! I just want to be in the most lively/party/stdenty halls!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by BPNE1
Exactly what I was thinking! However the other two halls are so much closer to the tube and bus stops! Also the new halls are apparently going to be really nice! But with a price tag to match! I just want to be in the most lively/party/stdenty halls!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm yeah you're right about the other halls! Tough decision really but I'm like you I just want to be with people that want to go out often! There's always student nights to go too in London so we'll always have something to do! That's kind of why I wanted to go for McMillan because although I'm sure the Daniel Defoe halls will be much better quality, I'd rather have more money to spend on nights out :P studio flats in McMillan are only £177 which is actually pretty cheap when compared to other halls like Westminster Uni's
Reply 12
Hi guys, i'm going to copy and paste what I wrote on another thread.

I live at the Avery Hill Halls of Residence and I have chosen to live there for my second year to. It's brilliant here, definitely if you love a social life, it's got Sparrows which is the local Student Union nightclub which is only a 5-minute walk away from the Halls of Residence. You don't HAVE to be a 'partyer' to be here, I am just saying that it's good if you are looking for that type of thing. Sparrows is a good venue with cheap drinks on offer and even an outside grill that cooks burgers. You'll never be short of a house party at Avery Hill either.

If you are worried about getting to the Greenwich campus everyday it's fine with the University bus running every hour which takes no more than 45 minutes. Last year I actually opted for Cutty Sark and McMillan as my preference of accommodation and ended up getting Avery Hill, I was really annoyed/worried as I was so imminent on not wanting it. However, it's been perfect for me and to be honest i'm actually glad I was put here! Cutty Sark and McMillan do tend to be quiet (heard from friends). Avery Hill offers loads of sports societies and others that you can take part in, I take part in Women's Football and it's been great! It also enhances your social life even more with getting to know all the sports teams that the University has to offer.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me and i'll try and help you the best I can! :smile:
Reply 13
Oh and as regards to going to Central London...

There's a few options...

1. Getting the 286 bus that takes you to Greenwich (Cutty Sark) and then getting the tube from there to wherever.
2. Getting the 286 to Eltham Train Station and then getting a train to either London Bridge tube station or Charing Cross, then getting the tube from either of them stations to wherever you go.
3. There is a night bus (N21) that stops literally a 5 minute walk from the Avery Hill Residences, you can get this from Charing Cross.

I've been to Central London a few times without a problem (as far as I can remember lol).
Bianca V above is completely right ... Avery Hill at the moment is where the most & biggest socials happen . I live at Cutty Sark though and wouldn't change it even if I was paid haha . It's absolute bliss and nicest accommodation ( although quite small unless you have a large room which I was very fortunate to get ) until Daniel Defoe is open :smile: ! Most peoples logic living at the Greenwich Maritime site is if you want parties ... you just go to Central ( where in most cases you'll end up at freshers anyways ) haha .
Reply 15
Original post by Daniel Markowicz
Bianca V above is completely right ... Avery Hill at the moment is where the most & biggest socials happen . I live at Cutty Sark though and wouldn't change it even if I was paid haha . It's absolute bliss and nicest accommodation ( although quite small unless you have a large room which I was very fortunate to get ) until Daniel Defoe is open :smile: ! Most peoples logic living at the Greenwich Maritime site is if you want parties ... you just go to Central ( where in most cases you'll end up at freshers anyways ) haha .

I'm most likely to apply to Cutty Sark, as you said, it's nice accommodation, but overall what is your social/nightlife like at uni, living where you do and being at Greenwich uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi dude :biggrin:

Nightlife at Greenwich is non-existent ( I could sense your heart drop from here lol ) , everyone goes to Central for that . Freshers was awesome however ... we got some sweet flat parties going etc but when everyone's courses began it all slowly died down naturally . I guess I fell victim to imagining parties at uni like it is on American films lol but reality is quite different . As far as living at Cutty Sark and studying at Greenwich is concerned , I wouldn't change it for the world :biggrin: ! You have the bliss and silence for your everyday living and then if you want to hit some of the best clubs in the country ... Central London is 45 minutes away but don't worry , it might sound like a mission but public transport will become your every day life within days . All in all , highly recommended :smile: .

+ you get to see this at least once a week haha .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGunqQRu6Mw&list=UU4nJiISQrBYGnNzfIjMC1Hw
Reply 17
Original post by Daniel Markowicz
Hi dude :biggrin:

Nightlife at Greenwich is non-existent ( I could sense your heart drop from here lol ) , everyone goes to Central for that . Freshers was awesome however ... we got some sweet flat parties going etc but when everyone's courses began it all slowly died down naturally . I guess I fell victim to imagining parties at uni like it is on American films lol but reality is quite different . As far as living at Cutty Sark and studying at Greenwich is concerned , I wouldn't change it for the world :biggrin: ! You have the bliss and silence for your everyday living and then if you want to hit some of the best clubs in the country ... Central London is 45 minutes away but don't worry , it might sound like a mission but public transport will become your every day life within days . All in all , highly recommended :smile: .

+ you get to see this at least once a week haha .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGunqQRu6Mw&list=UU4nJiISQrBYGnNzfIjMC1Hw

Sweet advice man thanks! Not sure if I out this in a previous post but I'm from Newcastle so completely amazing nightlife but like 10th of the price! I'm currently in London as we speak for a week, living in Camden having a blast! As you said central is good night life! However I'm just worried people will only go out like once a week! Do people still go to pubs and things as well as or is night life and social life minimal :/? Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha , my pleasure :smile: !

We seem to be having similar conversations in two different posts , check out the other one 'coz I think it briefly touches up on your question here and than ask away :smile: .

Yeah for sure though , been out in Newcastle a few times so know what you mean !
Reply 19
Hahaga oooops! Have done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending