The Student Room Group

can i still get an A* in triple science (AQA)

For my coursework I got A's in all of them, but I just managed to scrape an A in my biology and physics one, chemistry is more of a mid A. I really want an A* in science (maybe an A in physics, I'm not that good at it) but when I do past papers I just manage to scrape an A* in some of them, what should I aim for in the exams to get an A* overall? would I need to get high A* in all of them or would low A* be ok? :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I want an a* too....you find any areas hard ?
Coursework!?!?!?!? For science!?!?!?!?!?
Original post by lawrencefrape1

He probably means the practical exam thingys. You gotta do an experiment in exam conditions and write a conclusion and stuff.
I think it definitely possible from my calculations. I scraped an A for the Physics ISA as well

sorry i meant controlled assessment, why am I calling it coursework -_-
Original post by GS98
I want an a* too....you find any areas hard ?

just a few topics but most of them I'm okay with, what I find is that when I'm marking them, I usually write down the answers they accept but not the actual answer? do you get what I mean? like in the mark scheme, one column has the answer, the second column has answers they they accept or don't accept, I usually end up writing the answers they have in the second column that they accept, but maybe it might be the revision guide I'm learning from...
Original post by bubblegumcat
sorry i meant controlled assessment, why am I calling it coursework -_-

What does it consist of? For EDEXCEL IGCSE, we don't have anything like that; just two exam papers.
Original post by ennahaspatience
I think it definitely possible from my calculations. I scraped an A for the Physics ISA as well

did you get an A* in physics?
What does it consist of? For EDEXCEL IGCSE, we don't have anything like that; just two exam papers.

I'm doing AQA, part of the gcse is the practical exam where we do experiments and we do 2 papers for it, the rest is made up from exams, we have 3 papers in each subject, for each unit
did you get an A* in physics?

No, I am still in year 11 as well, I just did some calculations
No, I am still in year 11 as well, I just did some calculations

ohh okay, what would i need to get in the exams to get A*? high A* ??
ohh okay, what would i need to get in the exams to get A*? high A* ??

A*s in all the exams. Aim to get 45 and up in each exam as that is full UMS
A*s in all the exams. Aim to get 45 and up in each exam as that is full UMS

thanks, i'm still waiting on my other isa results for physics, hopefully I got higher than I did in the first one. Are the exam marks out of 60? some of the past papers I did are out of 45 marks
Reply 14
I think you can I got a C in my ISA last year (doing additional not triple science) but then I got 2 A's in the exam and still got an A overall.
thanks, i'm still waiting on my other isa results for physics, hopefully I got higher than I did in the first one. Are the exam marks out of 60? some of the past papers I did are out of 45 marks

You are doing the wrong papers, they are old spec. For P1 and P2, stick to this page

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/physics-4403/past-papers-and-mark-schemes

for P3, you can use old spec papers because they are sort of relevant. you can do the same for chemistry. But don't bother for Biology, the old spec is too different for this

this link is for the old spec papers

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/physics-4403/past-papers-and-mark-schemes/old-past-papers-and-mark-schemes
ISA marks go up to 50 and the new spec papers go up to 60
You are doing the wrong papers, they are old spec. For P1 and P2, stick to this page

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/physics-4403/past-papers-and-mark-schemes

for P3, you can use old spec papers because they are sort of relevant. you can do the same for chemistry. But don't bother for Biology, the old spec is too different for this

this link is for the old spec papers

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/physics-4403/past-papers-and-mark-schemes/old-past-papers-and-mark-schemes

thanks! :smile: my teachers basically gathered all the past papers they could find so I have a lot of the old spec papers and yeah I looked at some of the old bio papers, they're very different
thanks! :smile: my teachers basically gathered all the past papers they could find so I have a lot of the old spec papers and yeah I looked at some of the old bio papers, they're very different

That is not really helpful :tongue:. My bio teacher gave us booklets as he knew that many of the things in the old specification would be useless for us.
Reply 19
just a few topics but most of them I'm okay with, what I find is that when I'm marking them, I usually write down the answers they accept but not the actual answer? do you get what I mean? like in the mark scheme, one column has the answer, the second column has answers they they accept or don't accept, I usually end up writing the answers they have in the second column that they accept, but maybe it might be the revision guide I'm learning from...

Fair enough...but I recon if what you write as the answer interprets the same, it will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest