The Student Room Group

Maths or Math

If a person were to be using maths without an 's' at the end, would you be having a problem with it?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
If a person where to be using maths without an 's' at the end, would you be having a problem with it?

No, but I would assume that they were from a country other than the UK
It depends, math is the American version but if they're British and saying math :unimpressed:
[video="youtube;SbZCECvoaTA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbZCECvoaTA[/video]

O_o

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I would.

It is Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Yes I would.

It is Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, it is mathematics
I'd have no issue. I myself sometimes say math as I consider it to be a valid abbreviation.
I have come to this conclusion that americans cant spell.
Off topic
It is sulphur not sulfur
On topic
Math dosent sound right maths it soo much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TenOfThem
Actually, it is mathematics

Mind = blown :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I have come to this conclusion that americans cant spell.
Off topic
It is sulphur not sulfur
On topic
Math dosent sound right maths it soo much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I agree, like the word "drive-thru" and every time I see on a sign I want to rip it off.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Mathematics. I'm from the UK, so when I was a kid I used to say Maths, but now it's Mathematics.

When I hear people say 'Math', I usually assume that the person is from abroad, but when I know that the person is from the UK and they say 'Math', I do find it irksome. In my book, if you are going to use 'Americanisms', use them consistently or not at all. :wink:
Some British people can get so wound up about this sort of stuff, it's ridiculous. :lol: Many of the American spellings make more sense, anyway.
Reply 12
No such thing as 'math'. Math = mathematic, it's nonsense, there is no such word as mathematic, doesn't exist. The correct term is mathematics, or maths, plural. Dumb Americans are corrupting the English language.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana
Some British people can get so wound up about this sort of stuff, it's ridiculous. :lol: Many of the American spellings make more sense, anyway.

I agree

Language evolves
Reply 14
Mathematics is plural so MATHS makes more sense than MATH.

It just sounds wrong... especially when a person from the UK says it.
Would I have a problem with it? About as much as I would with someone using "where" instead of "were" in the question "If a person where to be using maths without an 's' at the end, would you be having a problem with it?"

In other words, an afternoon in the stocks for either offence would seem about right.
Original post by Stinkum
No such thing as 'math'. Math = mathematic, it's nonsense, there is no such word as mathematic, doesn't exist. The correct term is mathematics, or maths, plural. Dumb Americans are corrupting the English language.

Original post by jeje198
Mathematics is plural so MATHS makes more sense than MATH.

It just sounds wrong... especially when a person from the UK says it.

"Mathematics" is singular. :/ Just because it has an "s" at the end doesn't make it plural.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Snagglepuss
Would I have a problem with it? About as much as I would with someone using "where" instead of "were" in the question "If a person where to be using maths without an 's' at the end, would you be having a problem with it?"

In other words, an afternoon in the stocks for either offence would seem about right.

Happy?
Original post by StrangeBanana
"Mathematics" is singular. :/ Just because it has an "s" at the end doesn't make it plural.

Spot on man :biggrin:. Bus isn't plural, but buses is.
You have made my afternoon, Wilson.

Quick Reply

Latest