The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Is the area around Whitechapel and Mile End safe?

----------
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1drowssap
I'll be studying at QM in September, and although the area around that looks a little run down, I didn't really mind. However, I heard some bad things about the area, like people randomly getting stabbed while in that area. Is this true?

After watching this video, I'm kind of inclined to think that riots would take place there in the near future. The thought of being in the middle of all this really scares me, but I hope that the video is just a dramatization, and East London isn't as chaotic as everyone makes it out to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1tEpjmFH9g

Ridiculous generalisation, the muslim group is hated by most muslims themselves in East London, and the same goes for the opposing group. I highly doubt anything like this would take place.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
i lived in the East End for a while. if you avoid eye contact and take sensible precautions you should be fine.
Reply 3
Why? So will they do anything to a person that accidentally looks at them? On a sidenote, is it safe to walk alone on the streets, especially at night?
Reply 4
Original post by hexagonalRod
Ridiculous generalisation, the muslim group is hated by most muslims themselves in East London, and the same goes for the opposing group. I highly doubt anything like this would take place.

I certainly hope you are right. I mean someone murdered Lee Rigby in broad day light. Anyone who is insane enough to do that will be willing to do anything else.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Why? So will they do anything to a person that accidentally looks at them? On a sidenote, is it safe to walk alone on the streets, especially at night?

I've never had any major problems, only really had guys shouting something stupid out their car windows or as they walk past. Nothing you don't get in any other area, and happens more when you're on your way on a night out with a bunch of girls. Nothing more serious than that.
I try not to walk anywhere on my own at night though, and if I have you then I just stay on the main road where there's always other people about. But thats just as a precaution really, I've never felt that unsafe here.
Don't bother other people and they won't bother you.
Yeah, I always felt safe there.
Reply 7
Original post by selinazz
I've never had any major problems, only really had guys shouting something stupid out their car windows or as they walk past. Nothing you don't get in any other area, and happens more when you're on your way on a night out with a bunch of girls. Nothing more serious than that.
I try not to walk anywhere on my own at night though, and if I have you then I just stay on the main road where there's always other people about. But thats just as a precaution really, I've never felt that unsafe here.
Don't bother other people and they won't bother you.

Ok. That's reassuring.
Of course its safe, I've never had problems in that area ever. The hype about Islamists in the area is ridiculous. No need to worry more than anywhere else, genuinely.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by the bear
i lived in the East End for a while. if you avoid eye contact and take sensible precautions you should be fine.

Hey:smile: For example as a girl, if I want to go back from the club to my accommodation situated in the campus around 4 am and all alone, would that be too much of a problem also dangerous?

As I am used to getting back home around 4-5 am, if I do that usually at Queen Mary, would something happen to me at Mile End?

Would you suggest me to find a private accommodation in Zone 1 in my freshers year just for that reason?

Thanks a lot :smile: Because of the things I have heard, I am just too scared about the area to be honest... :frown:
Original post by naberbenbegum
Hey:smile: For example as a girl, if I want to go back from the club to my accommodation situated in the campus around 4 am and all alone, would that be too much of a problem also dangerous?

As I am used to getting back home around 4-5 am, if I do that usually at Queen Mary, would something happen to me at Mile End?

Would you suggest me to find a private accommodation in Zone 1 in my freshers year just for that reason?

Thanks a lot :smile: Because of the things I have heard, I am just too scared about the area to be honest... :frown:

Its not dangerous as such, but of course things are not unheard of and there is no use in trying to pretend that they don't. If you are scared then try and stick to the main roads and if you know you will be walking in residential areas/alleys then try not to dress too flamboyantly and obviously don't draw too much attention to yourself. Just remember that hundreds of people walk around the area every day without incident.:smile:
Reply 11
I've lived in East London most of my life and can assure you that there are many, many more normal people living here than the extremists depicted in this video.(most of whom don't even come from this area)
Just down the canal from Mile End is Limehouse, which has a mix of City/Canary Wharf workers, 'old' Eastenders (black, white , Asian et al!), a large peaceful muslim community and a sizeable gay community.
Ignore all this rubbish about keeping your head down, not walking around alone at night etc. Life's too short to spend looking over your shoulder. There's also a large population of students in the area who cause many more problems than the locals! (as is the same anywhere around a university campus) - which I am sure you will become part of.

London is extremely over populated and sometimes it can seem that it's not safe, But the same can be said of any major metropolitan area. Be sensible, chances are if you got into trouble it would be because you were drunk/obnoxious and in the wrong place at the wrong time - there are not random stabbings,radical protests or rioting on a regular basis and if you choose the right place for you to live you'll be fine.

Find a nice flat share with other students (make sure you find people who you can relate to) and after a few weeks you;ll wonder what you were ever worried about.

Good luck with the studies.
... someone murdered Lee Rigby in broad day light. Anyone who is insane enough to do that will be willing to do anything else.

Two people revealed themselves as insane enough to do that and both are now in prison.
Original post by ajewhu
I've lived in East London most of my life and can assure you that there are many, many more normal people living here than the extremists depicted in this video.(most of whom don't even come from this area)
Just down the canal from Mile End is Limehouse, which has a mix of City/Canary Wharf workers, 'old' Eastenders (black, white , Asian et al!), a large peaceful muslim community and a sizeable gay community.
Ignore all this rubbish about keeping your head down, not walking around alone at night etc. Life's too short to spend looking over your shoulder. There's also a large population of students in the area who cause many more problems than the locals! (as is the same anywhere around a university campus) - which I am sure you will become part of.

London is extremely over populated and sometimes it can seem that it's not safe, But the same can be said of any major metropolitan area. Be sensible, chances are if you got into trouble it would be because you were drunk/obnoxious and in the wrong place at the wrong time - there are not random stabbings,radical protests or rioting on a regular basis and if you choose the right place for you to live you'll be fine.

Find a nice flat share with other students (make sure you find people who you can relate to) and after a few weeks you;ll wonder what you were ever worried about.

Good luck with the studies.

i was threatened with death by a gang of hoodlums as i walked along the canal. obviously they did not carry out their threat, but it was not a positive experience.
I've lived on two pretty bad London estates over my life so trust me I know bad areas when I see them and I honestly felt perfectly fine walking around Mile End, not to mention the area around the university itself is pretty nice so I personally won't be too concerned. That said this was only a couple of times while I was visiting the uni for open days/offer holder events, plus the fact that I've been around worse may distort my opinion a bit.

The truth is there are dodgy areas all over London, it's just something you have to deal with if you live in one of the world's busiest cities. I don't think Mile End is anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be but from someone outside London I suppose it would be different.
Reply 15
i was threatened with death by a gang of hoodlums as i walked along the canal. obviously they did not carry out their threat, but it was not a positive experience.

:eek: Why? Did you do something to offend them? Where did it happen? Was it close to Queen Mary itself? More importantly, were they students of the uni??

Original post by Jojoestar
I've lived on two pretty bad London estates over my life so trust me I know bad areas when I see them and I honestly felt perfectly fine walking around Mile End, not to mention the area around the university itself is pretty nice so I personally won't be too concerned. That said this was only a couple of times while I was visiting the uni for open days/offer holder events, plus the fact that I've been around worse may distort my opinion a bit.

The truth is there are dodgy areas all over London, it's just something you have to deal with if you live in one of the world's busiest cities. I don't think Mile End is anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be but from someone outside London I suppose it would be different.

My standard of 'safe' is quite low. As long I don't get threatened to be stabbed everyday, I would classify it as safe. I don't expect it to be crime free(i.e. I would expect the occasional pickpocket theft/snatch theft).

Do people there get robbed on a regular basis? I think that would happen more commonly than random stabbings.
:eek: Why? Did you do something to offend them? Where did it happen? Was it close to Queen Mary itself? More importantly, were they students of the uni??

i did nothing at all to offend them, apart from existing on "their" "territory"
this was in Stepney ? a gang of white thugs. i did not stop to ask them their educational status but i suspect their UCAS points were less than their IQ...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
i did nothing at all to offend them, apart from existing on "their" "territory"
this was in Stepney ? a gang of white thugs. i did not stop to ask them if their educational status...

Ok. You went into the more residential areas right? Does this happen a lot in Mile End?
I certainly hope you are right. I mean someone murdered Lee Rigby in broad day light. Anyone who is insane enough to do that will be willing to do anything else.

And a muslim iraqi family got murdered in the french alps whats your point
Reply 19
Original post by James222
And a muslim iraqi family got murdered in the french alps whats your point

Murder in broad daylight is certainly something you don't expect in London. I know you are trying to convey the message that they are one off incidents, but crime in London isn't something that I would take lightly, especially if I am going to study in East London for the next few years. I want to study without fearing for my life everyday, and based on what I heard and read, it's generally not the nicest area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending