The Student Room Group

G671: Research Methods in Holdens's Pre-release?

Can anyone give me a list of all the research methods in the OCR pre release? And state whether they are quantitative or qualitative? THANKS!!!!!!
All methods are quantitative. Holden used non-participant overt observations, self completion questionnaires and use of secondary reaserch
Reply 2
Original post by leoniepepperoni
All methods are quantitative. Holden used non-participant overt observations, self completion questionnaires and use of secondary reaserch

Our teacher said it is debatable to wether observations are qualitative
observations are supposed to be qualitative but for the purpose of the research it is obvious that it is now quantitative as he makes it a structured observation. if a method is structured you link it to quantitative and if a method is unstructured you link it to qualitative. I don't know why people are getting confused tbh??
Original post by iJess
Our teacher said it is debatable to wether observations are qualitative

Because the observations were structured they're more likely to be associated with quantitative methodology as positivists like to base their research on a structure to make their research standardized so that it can be easily reproduced, therefore increasing the reliability which is what positivists aim for.

That is what I've been taught anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by leoniepepperoni
Because the observations were structured they're more likely to be associated with quantitative methodology as positivists like to base their research on a structure to make their research standardized so that it can be easily reproduced, therefore increasing the reliability which is what positivists aim for.

That is what I've been taught anyway.

Thanks for this, my teacher didnt really go into it :smile:
Original post by iJess
Thanks for this, my teacher didnt really go into it :smile:

Is alright just going by what I've been taught really, you could put the bit about unstructured interviews in the improvements part of the essay? Because it is a qualitative data research method and Holden didn't use any it could increase the validity of the study as unstructured interviews can lead to 'Verstehen'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending