The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry - C2 and C3 15th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by georgecarsley
if insoluble salts comes up as the 6mark question i am screwed

I thought that until I sat down and learnt the process of insoluble salts and Salts from Insoluble bases in 10 minutes>

Insoluble Salts: You literally mix two appropriate solutions of an ions and a precipitate is formed. This can then be removed for many reasons such as softening hard water.

Insoluble Bases (Soluble Salts): You add the metal oxide/hydroxide into the acid until no more will form. You filter this solution to get rid of the excess metal oxide/hydroxide that didn't react. Then, evaporate the final solution to get rid of the water and you have the salt crystals.
Has anyone got an easy way of learning the tests and results for positive and negative ions?
Original post by unidentified123
How long did it roughly take you guys to recap over c2 and c3??????

Like half an hour for C3, not done C2 yet
Posted from TSR Mobile
an insoluble salt method is using litmus paper and universal indicator you idiot.. why you telling us the wrong answer prick
Original post by Winading001
Less than an hour for C2.

Oh okay cool.
Original post by 2014_GCSE
I thought that until I sat down and learnt the process of insoluble salts and Salts from Insoluble bases in 10 minutes>

Insoluble Salts: You literally mix two appropriate solutions of an ions and a precipitate is formed. This can then be removed for many reasons such as softening hard water.

Insoluble Bases (Soluble Salts): You add the metal oxide/hydroxide into the acid until no more will form. You filter this solution to get rid of the excess metal oxide/hydroxide that didn't react. Then, evaporate the final solution to get rid of the water and you have the salt crystals.

wrong
Original post by majmuh24
Like half an hour for C3, not done C2 yet
Posted from TSR Mobile

I still haven't gone over C3, just about to. :redface:
Original post by unidentified123
How long did it roughly take you guys to recap over c2 and c3??????

With dog I wrote out brief notes today from 12:20 and I've pretty much finished with breaks in between

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cenation leader
wrong

Urh, how so?
Original post by Student 977
Has anyone got an easy way of learning the tests and results for positive and negative ions?

No way except just learning them, I found positive easier to learn than negative and Cgp book helps for this, for metal ions with Naoh you only need to know the 3 coloured ones and that aluminium dissolves with excess. Make sure when learning the negatives you remember which acid goes with which, dilute HCl with barium chloride for testing for sup latest and dilute Hno3 with silver bromide for testing for hallides.
Carbonates us probably the easiest with bubbling the gas produced through lime water. Sorry no other tips but just learn learn learn! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vish.handa
No way except just learning them, I found positive easier to learn than negative and Cgp book helps for this, for metal ions with Naoh you only need to know the 3 coloured ones and that aluminium dissolves with excess. Make sure when learning the negatives you remember which acid goes with which, dilute HCl with barium chloride for testing for sup latest and dilute Hno3 with silver bromide for testing for hallides.
Carbonates us probably the easiest with bubbling the gas produced through lime water. Sorry no other tips but just learn learn learn! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this for C3 or C2?
Original post by cenation leader
an insoluble salt method is using litmus paper and universal indicator you idiot.. why you telling us the wrong answer prick

Litmus and Universal indicator is to work out how acidic/alkaline something is

A METHOD to make Insoluble Salts IS what I just posted, I even just grabbed my revision guide as you made me doubt myself which is now open in front of me and I got it pretty spot on.
Litmus and Universal indicator is to work out how acidic/alkaline something is

A METHOD to make Insoluble Salts IS what I just posted, I even just grabbed my revision guide as you made me doubt myself which is now open in front of me and I got it pretty spot on.

I'm going to do it off memory to back you up but please confirm it because Idk what you wrote and it'll help my revision :smile: mix two solutions with the ions in and filter away the liquid and wash and dry them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Winading001
Is this for C3 or C2?

C3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you need two substances for testing halides and sulphates?
I'm going to do it off memory to back you up but please confirm it because Idk what you wrote and it'll help my revision :smile: mix two solutions with the ions in and filter away the liquid and wash and dry them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's essentially what I put. Woohoo!

You literally mix two appropriate solutions of ions and a precipitate is formed.
This (the precipitate) can then be removed (filtered) for many reasons such as softening hard water.
Reply 136
I really hope there's a question or hopefully questions on ion tests because I know them really well and I'll be gutted if they're not on it :frown: it'll be like dialysis in the biology paper all over again

Thanks! writing an emergency flashcard to read tomorrow morning when cramming!
6 Mark Guesses:

C2: Electrolysis, Insoluble Salts, Rates of Reaction
C3: Titration Equations, Haber Process, Hard and Soft Water

GET REVISING GUYS! Still plenty of time for learning entire methods and cramming in facts!

Insoluble salts confuse me and there's so much, so I don't know what exactly I need to know? Guys tell me the main things I need to know about soluble salts please? I have time to revise it tomorrow morning, I just need to know what exactly to know

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do we need to know about moles?

Quick Reply

Latest