The Student Room Group

AS AQA Physics PHYA1: Particles, Quantum Phenomena & Electricity

Anyone else got this exam coming up in the summer? It's on 20/05/14.
Please feel free to share any revision resources or links you find useful!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sitting this one too! Would appreciate any links guys. Main source of revision for me is the official book though.
Reply 2
Is that the Nelson Thornes AQA guide? I use that in lessons which helps. Have you finished learning everything now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Ok so this is next Tuesday - who's got last minute tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What is zero potential of a metal?
Reply 5
Original post by Jords13
What is zero potential of a metal?

I believe it's when there's no pd across it - ie the work function is the minimum energy needed by a conduction electron to escape the surface of a metal at zero potential.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by CD223
I believe it's when there's no pd across it - ie the work function is the minimum energy needed by a conduction electron to escape the surface of a metal at zero potential.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by Jords13
Ah thank you!

No worries! Good luck! How are you revising for it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. Sometimes when I do past papers I feel confident on electricity, then at other times I can't seem to do any of the questions. I started revising for physics early and I was getting As in the past papers that I was doing now I really struggle with electricity. The rules seem to be changing in each past paper.
Reply 9
Original post by wyntersugar
Hi. Sometimes when I do past papers I feel confident on electricity, then at other times I can't seem to do any of the questions. I started revising for physics early and I was getting As in the past papers that I was doing now I really struggle with electricity. The rules seem to be changing in each past paper.

I can totally relate. I got an A in my mock in January when I'd just finished learning it and recently got a C. Explain that one...

Any inklings on what the six marker will be guys??!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Reply 11
Original post by CD223
No worries! Good luck! How are you revising for it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA textbook and past papers :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Jords13
AQA textbook and past papers :smile:

Same here - feeling confident compared to unit two?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by CD223
Same here - feeling confident compared to unit two?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well got to keep at it the highest I got was a C :/ but this weekend is devoted to Maths and physics...
pits easy ish stuff but getting the marks is difficult I find
Reply 14
Original post by Jords13
Well got to keep at it the highest I got was a C :/ but this weekend is devoted to Maths and physics...
pits easy ish stuff but getting the marks is difficult I find

Yeah I agree - I've got maths and physics obviously but also history coming up very soon this week, but history is on Thursday so I might prioritise it less this weekend...

The physics mark schemes are so specfic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by CD223
Yeah I agree - I've got maths and physics obviously but also history coming up very soon this week, but history is on Thursday so I might prioritise it less this weekend...

The physics mark schemes are so specfic!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could not do history aha, next week will be interesting though!
Monday - core 1
Tuesday - Physics
Wednesday - biology
Thursday - core 2
-.-
Reply 16
Original post by Jords13
I could not do history aha, next week will be interesting though!
Monday - core 1
Tuesday - Physics
Wednesday - biology
Thursday - core 2
-.-

It's nice they're all on different days though! Core 2 & History on the same day will suck! What's your prediction for the 6 marker for physics? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I can totally relate. I got an A in my mock in January when I'd just finished learning it and recently got a C. Explain that one...

Any inklings on what the six marker will be guys??!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably on quantum, as the 2013 one was particles and electricity. As we've had most the possible electricity questions in previous papers, it will probably be something hard as well :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jords13

Monday - core 1
Tuesday - Physics
Wednesday - biology
Thursday - core 2
-.-

I have the exact same as you in addition to chemistry on friday.

The only thing I hope for is that the questions are just repeats of what came up in the past paper and that there is only one 6-marker On something like describe the photoelectric effect, or describe how fluorescence tube works which I don't think has come up yet.
Anyone else get majorily stuck on potential divider type questions with a load of elements in series and in parallel?

I swear to god each time theres a new way of calculating things

Quick Reply

Latest