Scroll to see replies

I got that
Hopefully it's right
Original post by randlemcmurphy
Sinx=0

x=0,pi,-pi also

Guess what?
I did all that and forgot to put 0!!

I don't think it equalled Pi? Because it said greater than or equal to -Pi and less than Pi, not less that or equal to?
Reply 542
Original post by YGurung
2tanx -3sinx=0
2sinx/cosx -3sinx=0
sinx(2/cosx-3)=0

sinxx=0 and cosx=2/3

Therefore, x = 0, -0.84 or 0.84

I got this :smile:
Original post by YGurung
Oui :smile: Because the answer I replied to is wrong since you can't work out the cos-1 of anything that is greater than 1.

Sweet. Thanks
I think I got around 55 for this paper, what do you guys think that would be? In my school everyone found it hard
Original post by Uberphuq
I don't think it equalled Pi? Because it said greater than or equal to -Pi and less than Pi, not less that or equal to?

I put 0 and -pi as well
Original post by Jkizer
What topic was that question again?

It was the 3tanx-2sinx one.
Reply 547
A lot of people in my year( A2 students retaking C2) got 43 for n.

I got 43 as well.

Can some please show me how they got 44?
since theres been much debate, the answers (which i'm nearly 100% sure are correct) are

38.9cm^2 for the area of ABDCDEA or whatever messed up shape that was

(sinx)(2-3cosx) giving you x=-pi,0,0.841,-0.841 (idk if it was 2sf, pi is NOT in the range)

2880 minimum surface area

k was 5root3

n is 44 not 43, you switch the inequality sign when dividing by the log because it's value is negative, so it was n>43.2 implying that n is 44. Subbing this back into the equation worked, with 44 it was <0.5 with 43 it was greater.

for the integration a was 2/3 b was -1/9

anything else? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gyshmey nbofster
I thought the paper was fairly generous. My one concern, is that when finding the second derivative in part d of the last question, I acciedently wrote dy^2/dx^2. When it's actually d^2y/dx^2... Will I have lost an accuracy mark, as technically the notation of my second derivative was incorrect?

You would probably lose all the marks for that actually.
Original post by YGurung

I got 43 as well.

it came out to n>43.2, so n couldn't be 43 , and the answer has to be <0.5. so since n was the power of a fraction, the higher the power, the smaller the answer. so it was the next biggest integer
Original post by Miladrises
I think I got around 55 for this paper, what do you guys think that would be? In my school everyone found it hard

We all found it hard too!
Reply 552
I did it by having n x negative number < negative number on the last step. When you divide a negative by a negative the inequality sign switches to give some that was like n>43.2. Basically if you didn't switch the inequality then you would get 43
Original post by YGurung

I got 43 as well.

You ended up with something like N>43.1 (You had to flip the inequality sign somewhere in the process as one of the logs was negative).

N has to be an integer, and 43 is too low, therefore it has to be 44. I checked this on my calculator as well just to confirm my answer, and 43 doesn't work.
hey for the value of n i worked out the critical value so i equated it to zero. would i loose the marks? or do i still get the method marks?
Original post by Sumz.96
I got 1 too :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently its 44,
Reply 556
What did people get for that angle in radians question? And the area ?
Reply 557
Hmmmm...I checked using 43 as well and it was greater than 0.5, but I don't know where I went wrong so I will just put my working out here and hopefully someone can tell me where I have gone wrong:

160-160(1-(7/8)n) < 0.5

I divided both sides by 160

1-(1-(7/8)n) <0.5/160

Opened up the brackets and the two give:

1-1+(7/8)n < 0.5/160

the ones cancelled each other out

(7/8)n<0.5/160

log both sides

n log(7/8) < log(0.5/160)

divide both sides by log(7/8)

then i got n < 43.19..

which is why got n= 43, if someone can point out my mistake please do so :smile:
Reply 558
Original post by YGurung
Hmmmm...I checked using 43 as well and it was greater than 0.5, but I don't know where I went wrong so I will just put my working out here and hopefully someone can tell me where I have gone wrong:

160-160(1-(7/8)n) < 0.5

1-(1-(7/8)n) <0.5/160

1-1+(7/8)n < 0.5/160

(7/8)n<0.5/160

log both sides

then i got n < 43.19..

which is why got n= 43, if someone can point out my mistake please do so :smile:

Log(⅞) is a negative and so is log(0.5/160) so when you divided through by a negative you change the inequality sign, which you didn't do. Hope this helps
Original post by YGurung

160-160(1-(7/8)n) < 0.5

1-(1-(7/8)n) <0.5/160

1-1+(7/8)n < 0.5/160

(7/8)n<0.5/160

log both sides

then i got n < 43.19..

you have to round up at the end because 43, as you have pointed out, will produce an incorrect answer but n must be an integer.

Quick Reply

Latest