The Student Room Group

Why isn't the Premier League the best league in the world?

We have the richest clubs. And it's not just oil money, but Arsenal, United and Liverpool are rich and not bankrolled per se. We have more clubs in the top 20 global revenues than Spain and Italy.

We have the best viewer figures. Only the big Serie A games like Juve vs Inter (their Liverpool vs. Man U) or El Clasico in Spain can get good global ratings.

Our recent record in Euro competitions is good, compared to Spain and Italy.
And our league isn't boring, or corrupt and favours the big clubs in terms of viewership and TV rights/revenues (looking at you Spain..) La Liga was won by Atletico granted, but then this the first time in many years a non-Real Madrid/Barca team has won it. Most of the time it's just Real Madrid and Barca who compete.

And we're more tolerant/accepting than Spain and Italy...no black players here getting racially abused at their national training grounds. The Suarez/Terry things a few years ago were isolated incidents anyhow, hence why they get blown up a lot.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It is the best league in the world. Where did you get the idea that it's not?
Too many English players.
Original post by KongShou
It is the best league in the world. Where did you get the idea that it's not?

I think for entertainment, England's leagues are probably the best, closely followed by Spain. But in terms of talent, I think Spain tops them. Just my opinion. And I also love the fact most of Spain's players are homegrown

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't get the obsession with claiming this or that league is the best and I've never understood the people who say "There's three English teams in the Champions League semi-final, so it's the best league in the world" or "Bayern and Borussia reaching the final is proof that the Bundesliga is the best league in the world".

No it's not. It's proof that Bayern and Borussia are very good teams. Nothing more, nothing less.
Original post by carlisomes
We have the richest clubs. And it's not just oil money, but Arsenal, United and Liverpool are rich and not bankrolled per se. We have more clubs in the top 20 global revenues than Spain and Italy.

We have the best viewer figures. Only the big Serie A games like Juve vs Inter (their Liverpool vs. Man U) or El Clasico in Spain can get good global ratings.

And our league isn't boring, or corrupt and favours the big clubs in terms of viewership and TV rights/revenues (looking at you Spain..) La Liga was won by Atletico granted, but then this the first time in many years a non-Real Madrid/Barca team has won it. Most of the time it's just Real Madrid and Barca who compete.

And we're more tolerant/accepting than Spain and Italy...no black players here getting racially abused at their national training grounds. The Suarez/Terry things a few years ago were isolated incidents anyhow, hence why they get blown up a lot.

Is that some kind of joke?
Reply 6
it is by far the best.
it doesn't have the best teams, but it has the highest standard, which is what makes a league.

EDIT: whoever gave me 9 rep, i love you a little bit...
(edited 9 years ago)
Who the hell told you that the PL isn't the best league.
Reply 8
Original post by Jordooooom
Is that some kind of joke?

No. In the past 5 years, we've won 1 CL and Europa League. Only Barca with Messi have done better. English teams reached finals in 09, 11. What then is ****ty performance?
La Liga is the best league in the world they got two teams in the Semi-Final no real debate to it.The premier league hasn't been the best for years defence has been appalling this season.
The Prem is the best, you had four teams all competing for the title this season, about ten fighting relegation, the fall of Man. United, emergence of Liverpool and some immense matches, many of which were Liverpool blitzing teams within twenty minutes. Even we have been involved in some belters this season :biggrin:.

I don't think there was a single match better than the 4-3 clasico but on the whole our league is the best.
Tbh La Liga has been pretty damn good value this year entertainment wise, so its close run. I think people say the PL more because of the interactions of the title challengers with the rest than anything. You just get genuine competition almost throughout the table. Absolute quality of the PL has fallen no doubt, but still got some great players and some great entertainment. Liverpool and United this year show how competitive it is.
The English game in general garners more interest from global viewers and locals alike. Granted this is an exception, but Wolves got over 30k through the turnstiles late this season. Where else does that happen in a third tier game in the world?
No. In the past 5 years, we've won 1 CL and Europa League. Only Barca with Messi have done better. English teams reached finals in 09, 11. What then is ****ty performance?

2008-09
CL: Barcelona
2009-10
CL: Inter EL: Atletico
2010-11
2011-12
CL: Chelsea EL: Atletico
2012-13
EL: Chelsea
2013-14
CL: Real EL: Sevilla

In the past 5 years, that's 6 trophies for Spain, 2 for England and 1 for Italy.
In terms of finals reached, out of 20 places (10 CL, 10 EL), Spanish teams reached 8, English teams 5 and Italian teams 1
For what it counts, which I admit is not much, both Barcelona (2009, 2011) and Inter (2010) went on to win the Club World Cup, which Chelsea did not
So, compared to Spain, England's record isn't really that good
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maprunner
2008-09
2009-10
CL: Inter EL: Atletico
2010-11
2011-12
CL: Chelsea EL: Atletico
2012-13
EL: Chelsea
2013-14
CL: Real EL: Sevilla

In the past 5 years, that's 6 trophies for Spain, 2 for England and 1 for Italy.
In terms of finals reached, out of 20 places (10 CL, 10 EL), Spanish teams reached 8, English teams 5 and Italian teams 1
For what it counts, which I admit is not much, both Barcelona (2009, 2011) and Inter (2010) went on to win the Club World Cup, which Chelsea did not
So, compared to Spain, England's record isn't really that good

Why no German inclusion?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zishanzaheer
Why no German inclusion?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because the OP only talked about Spain and Italy; no other reason.
Reply 16

I think it's important that you remember John Terry was innocent.

The premier league is the best league in the world with the most viewers. Our best teams aren't as good as the Spanish but there's no way any team outside of the top 3 in Spain would be a top 4/5 team in England

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't watch a lot of football do you?
Original post by Wade-
I think it's important that you remember John Terry was innocent.

The premier league is the best league in the world with the most viewers. Our best teams aren't as good as the Spanish but there's no way any team outside of the top 3 in Spain would be a top 4/5 team in England

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're probably right but then again if the money was split more evenly in the la liga then I don't think this would be true.
It is

Quick Reply

Latest