The Student Room Group

AQA AS ICT Unit 1 exam 02/06/14

I've just done this exam is anyone else thinking WTF :eek: about the 17 mark question just before the 20 mark?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by durpinator95
I've just done this exam is anyone else thinking WTF :eek: about the 17 mark question just before the 20 mark?

Yeah, was shocked to see that. I could hardly think of points to make for the second bit of it.

I was quite surprised though at how many long mark questions (6 and above) that there were. Overall though I thought the questions were alright, (especially enjoyed the second one :redface: ), though the first one did manage to confuse me and I felt like I'd hurried the 20 mark one.
17 mark was about accuracy, validity and presentation on how you would evaluate and make a solution based around that
Original post by tmartin1996
17 mark was about accuracy, validity and presentation on how you would evaluate and make a solution based around that

i also said about validation and verification and GIGO and how important it is to get the correct data entry
Reply 4
i wrote about validation ect. but how many high marks, i would have only have it as a 12 mark not a 17
I thought the paper wasn't too bad - didn't manage to finish the 20 mark question as I ran out of time, but hopefully I still did okay overall.

I did think that the 17 mark question was quite odd; I basically just wrote about various validation checks and methods of verification. I then discussed the evaluation by mentioning that I would ask myself appropriate questions about the solution (e.g. does the solution do what it is supposed to do?) & mentioned I'd use a questionnaire to gather feedback about the solution.

I was generally fine with the questions that came up overall (one of the questions from a past paper was repeated (Explain your test plan) which was good, basically just tried to remember the mark scheme ahaha).
Didn't think it was too bad, despite our school taking it a year early. INFO2 is the one that worries me.

Does anyone else think that 20-marker was such an INFO2 question? I was expecting 'X is a retired teacher going on holiday and likes to X and X. Recommend software and hardware for him' etc
Reply 7
Original post by joeldamole789
Didn't think it was too bad, despite our school taking it a year early. INFO2 is the one that worries me.

Does anyone else think that 20-marker was such an INFO2 question? I was expecting 'X is a retired teacher going on holiday and likes to X and X. Recommend software and hardware for him' etc

Definitely seemed like a unit 2 question. There's even a section in the text book in unit 2 on benefits of IT in schools. Surely they should have put that question in unit 2 instead?

Unless... they put it in on accident and have it repeated in the unit 2 paper. :colone:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
It was such a vague paper. It took me little bit to get my head around the 17 marker but validation and verification was easy to write about.

The essay though, what a joke! I don't think I did it correctly, and as someone else pointed out, it was such a unit 2 question :s Ah well, unit 2 should be fine anyways, it's not too difficult and I have a solid week to revise it!
What did people put for question 1?
Original post by wamsood1234

Put microphone. :colondollar:

To be fair I've never even heard of a virtual shop, but now that I've looked it up it seems to be a camera in order to read the QR codes.

How about you?
Original post by Faded-Pi
Put microphone. :colondollar:

To be fair I've never even heard of a virtual shop, but now that I've looked it up it seems to be a camera in order to read the QR codes.

How about you?

I put electronic point of sale. The only thing I could think of, obviously wrong :/
Original post by wamsood1234

A mouse - literally couldn't think of anything more specific
I put a touchscreen for that question :/ eh well.

How are you guys feeling about the unit 2 paper next week?
I put a touchscreen too! 😁
I'm nervous for INFO 2. Just got a feeling it's going to be nasty
What are the chances there will be an info 1 question on info 2 o.0 ??
I thought the 20 marker was the most ridiculous thing i have seen. I mean to a normal person they would think that some drunk person wrote it- "if the WWW was the classroom where is the classroom?" This year AQA have put some silly questions on their papers (the ones i have taken).

Anyway I thought paper was ok didnt write about BET for Q6 but made an exhaustive list of validation checks and managed to bs my way on Q7.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Code101
I put a touchscreen too! 😁

Original post by TheFinalFlare
I put a touchscreen for that question :/ eh well.

How are you guys feeling about the unit 2 paper next week?

I put graphics tablet :yy:
INFO2 is the one that worries me.
Your a pussy :awesome:

Same here i thought it would be a software questions on the same basis as you wrote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19

I read the specification and there was 3 topics that included 'discuss' which is more likely to be a higher mark question. I personally think the 20 marker will based on Topic3: People and ICT systems. The key concepts of that was How users interact with ICT systems because, in the content and amplification it includes the benefits and limitations, which it did not mention in the possible other two topics within the specification of what the 20 marker could be based on.... Any other views ???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending