The Student Room Group

The Official Edexcel FP2 Thread 6th June 2014

Post you're revision stuff here etc...

Scroll to see replies

I have bad feelings for this exam
Reply 2
This exam is one of my secure exams, looking forward to it!
It is really annoying that it happens to be clamped inbetween both my economics exams, econ and maths don't go well together
What are your predictions for this paper...

Do you have feelings for the sort of questions that may come up?
Reply 4
Help please!!!
This is so stupid because its only one mark but I really don't understand how its done.

1401823239438.jpg

Part a was fine (X<-2, -5<X<-3) but I couldn't get b (mark scheme says X>-2)

I know I'm probably just missing something so easy but I'd really appreciate it if someone could clear thimgs up a bit...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by p.khan
Help please!!!
This is so stupid because its only one mark but I really don't understand how its done.

1401823239438.jpg

Part a was fine (X<-2, -5<X<-3) but I couldn't get b (mark scheme says X>-2)

I know I'm probably just missing something so easy but I'd really appreciate it if someone could clear thimgs up a bit...

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK, I just did the question, first of all I think you meant for part a that X>-2, not less than -2 :smile:

And for part b, I drew a graph of 2/[x+3] and x+4, and then the only place they intersected was at x=-2. (Because it was a MOD graph for 2/[x+3], it meant it was only the positive values of y). This meant that because x+4 was greater than 2/[x+3], x had to be greater than -2. X>-2.

I attempted to draw it on paint :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ThatManAlex
OK, I just did the question, first of all I think you meant for part a that X>-2, not less than -2 :smile:

And for part b, I drew a graph of 2/[x+3] and x+4, and then the only place they intersected was at x=-2. (Because it was a MOD graph for 2/[x+3], it meant it was only the positive values of y). This meant that because x+4 was greater than 2/[x+3], x had to be greater than -2. X>-2.

I attempted to draw it on paint :smile:

My mistake, I did mean x>-2

I completely forgot about sketching the graphs but I see how its done now. I think I got confused beacuse I did part a by comining the 2 fractions rather than sketching (as that is a weak point of mine!!). And then tried to use that for part b, which is where I went wrong I guess.

But anyway, thanks for clearing that up - :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hey guys. I think a useful thing to do this close to the exam is to share exam techniques.How you can check answers etc... does anyone have any pointers? I would say one obvious thing would be to check complex numbers and Series questions on your calculator once you get answers. And for inequalities and loci you can test a few numbers to make sure your equation works.

Anyone else got tips?
Reply 8
Well considering (6) as a troublesome question, the rest were not THAT bad. The integration in the last question required the knowledge of tan^2x = 1 + sec^2x...
Reply 9
Did the differential equation have a particular intergral of something like 27/10e... ? Transformation part b) no idea on that one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrdw
Did the differential equation have a particular intergral of something like 27/10e... ?

I got 3e^(-x)
What did you get for the series expansion question ?
Original post by tamlmt628
What did you get for the series expansion question ?

3 + (1/6)x + (17/216)x^2
i wasn't confident though
I got the same
Reply 14
Just found some solutions in another thread!!!

Thank them not me. :wink: (but i forgot who it was lol)
That's correct! What did everyone get for the general solution of the first order differential?
I made so many silly mistakes on this paper and couldn't do the locus part b so I'm screwed really.
Got the same - thought it looked wrong Though :/
Original post by johnj0061
3 + (1/6)x + (17/216)x^2
i wasn't confident though

looks correct to me
Original post by TheInfidel
Just found some solutions in another thread!!!

<image>

Thank them not me. :wink: (but i forgot who it was lol)

4b is pi/18, pi/9, 7pi/18

not 5pi/18

pretty sure anyway

5a y = e^-3x (etc) looks like a copy error on your part

Was 7b finding f(x) as y^-3 = ... or as y = ... ?

6b was hard

edit: sorry for double post, pls dont kill

EDIT2: I MADE A MISTAKE WITH THE 4b

THE CORRECT ANSWERS ARE PI/18, 5PI/18, 7PI/18

PI/9 IS NOT CORRECT

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
for 6b did anyone get the radius was 5?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending