The Student Room Group

New cold war?

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0EG2XK20140606?irpc=932

http://rt.com/politics/163892-russians-usa-bad-attitude/

New cold war?

It seems to me the entire world couldn't avoid the cold war. But this time it's a bit different.

It'd be the cold war between US and Russia (including China )

I wonder if UK, the Uncle Sam's old dearest friend who usually followed in his footsteps, would join this possible war game.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by skunkboy

New cold war?

It seems to me the entire world couldn't avoid the cold war. But this time it's a bit different.

I wonder if UK, the Uncle Sam's old dearest friend who usually followed in his footsteps, would join this possible war game.

No, another 'cold war' is unlikely, in the short term at least. Dislike is reason to go war.

The UK would have to side with America, through NATO.
Reply 2
Cold War implies equal opponents, like the US and the USSR 'back in the day'.

Modern day Russia or China are no match for the US militarily, the US is so far ahead that both would bankrupt themselves before getting close.
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
Cold War implies equal opponents, like the US and the USSR 'back in the day'.

Modern day Russia or China are no match for the US militarily, the US is so far ahead that both would bankrupt themselves before getting close.

No match? Bankrupt themselves?Are you just kidding? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's true.

The US military is the most powerful in human history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All the US air force has to do is drop a few turds and the majority of the Russian fleet would be sent to Davy Jones locker.
Reply 6

New cold war?

While China is making steady progress it should be noted that it has not once demonstrated aggression towards the USA and seems reasonably happy playing the capitalist game. I don't see war breaking out between China and the USA as things stand, it would require a massive change in attitude.

Regarding Russia it should be noted that while the Cold War is back in the sense of proxy actions against the west, it is no longer a military power on a global scale. In the event of war the combined air and naval forces of the UK and France alone have the capability to sink the entire Russian fleet and crucify Russia's ability to wage war in the air. Russia has an edge on land but were the USA to commit ground forces then the British, French and US flags would be flying over the ruins of Moscow within 6 months.
Reply 7
Original post by Rakas21
While China is making steady progress it should be noted that it has not once demonstrated aggression towards the USA and seems reasonably happy playing the capitalist game. I don't see war breaking out between China and the USA as things stand, it would require a massive change in attitude.

China have been increasingly aggressive towards US-backed states in SE Asia though.
Reply 8
Original post by flugelr
China have been increasingly aggressive towards US-backed states in SE Asia though.

That's their neighborhood. When they start having proxy wars halfway across the world like the USSR then i'll worry.
Reply 9
Original post by Rakas21
That's their neighborhood. When they start having proxy wars halfway across the world like the USSR then i'll worry.

Georgia and Ukraine are in Russia's neighbourhood, that doesn't mean we should sit back and leave them too it, especially when it affects our interests.

Given our presence in Brunei and our membership of the Five Power Defence Arrangements, what happens in SE Asia is our business.
Original post by flugelr
Georgia and Ukraine are in Russia's neighbourhood, that doesn't mean we should sit back and leave them too it, especially when it affects our interests.

Given our presence in Brunei and our membership of the Five Power Defence Arrangements, what happens in SE Asia is our business.

Certainly not but Syria and Iran are also being sponsored by Russia which is why its a somewhat different league. Indeed by supplying weapons to Assad and attacking Crimea they are to be considered extremely provocative. All China is doing is posturing to minor countries.

I certainly don't believe we should leave countries to run riot, there are very few people other than me on this forum who are prepared to put the military where our countries mouth is. TSR is full of right wing isolationists and naive left wing pacifists.

All i'm saying is that China does not oppose our way of life and so beyond minor territorial disputes they are of no significant concern. Russia and some Islamic countries would quite like to see the west burn if they can rule the ashes.
Reply 11
Original post by felamaslen
It's true.

The US military is the most powerful in human history.

Really? Why are you so sure about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by the mezzil
All the US air force has to do is drop a few turds and the majority of the Russian fleet would be sent to Davy Jones locker.

Davy Jones locker?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Davy Jones locker?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bottom of the ocean.
Reply 14
Original post by Rakas21

Regarding Russia it should be noted that while the Cold War is back in the sense of proxy actions against the west, it is no longer a military power on a global scale. In the event of war the combined air and naval forces of the UK and France alone have the capability to sink the entire Russian fleet and crucify Russia's ability to wage war in the air. Russia has an edge on land but were the USA to commit ground forces then the British, French and US flags would be flying over the ruins of Moscow within 6 months.

Russia has no ICBMs? Mr.Putin wouldn't use such missiles?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Russia has no ICBMs? Mr.Putin wouldn't use such missiles?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're assuming a non-nuclear war here. If Putin starts firing missiles we'd do the same and then we're all screwed. Obviously invading Russia is not a realistic prospect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They have military bases in most countries and are the world's top number 1 ally. Their power projection capability is superior to that of the Royal Navy in 1900. If the US wishes to take down any regime, anywhere in the world at any time, it won't have much trouble doing so. If the US were a malevolent force, we would all be dead or enslaved.

Because it's common bloody sense.
Reply 18
Original post by Drewski
Because it's common bloody sense.

Now I know why US didn't win Vietnam War.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by felamaslen
They have military bases in most countries and are the world's top number 1 ally. Their power projection capability is superior to that of the Royal Navy in 1900. If the US wishes to take down any regime, anywhere in the world at any time, it won't have much trouble doing so. If the US were a malevolent force, we would all be dead or enslaved.

Really? US didn't have much trouble with Vietcong during Vietnam War? Why US didn't win the War?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending