The Student Room Group

Ocr latin gcse june 2014 urgent

So basically our teacher has not taught us anything about how to do the exam paper for Latin, and I have my 'verse' (poetry) exam on Thursday - screwed up the prose exam because didn't know how to answer the questions.
If anyone does Latin GCSE with OCR, or has done it in the past, I would be really really grateful if you could tell me what to do, i.e. if there are any 10 or 8 markers, and if so, what I should write for them.
Thanks
Original post by rileyjames
So basically our teacher has not taught us anything about how to do the exam paper for Latin, and I have my 'verse' (poetry) exam on Thursday - screwed up the prose exam because didn't know how to answer the questions.
If anyone does Latin GCSE with OCR, or has done it in the past, I would be really really grateful if you could tell me what to do, i.e. if there are any 10 or 8 markers, and if so, what I should write for them.
Thanks

Ten mark literary questions

Remember that to achieve the top levels you must:

Quote in Latin

Refer to all three bullet points mentioned in the question

A full point contains the following:

Point Aeneas’ great strength is clearly shown in this passage

Evidence “volat atri turbinis instar” [remember shorter, more detailed quotes are better]

Analysis the fact that Aeneas threw the spear with such force that it resembled something as powerful as a whirlwind shows how much power he had.

Eight mark literary questions

These eight mark questions require knowledge of themes but do not require quotes from Latin as there will not be a passage in front of you from which to take them. However, the examiner will expect detailed reference to the text.

Some of the themes you need to consider and that you should make mind maps about (with references to specific part of the text on the mind map) are:

The characterisation of Aeneas

The characterisation of Turnus

The imagery (i.e. similes and metaphors) that Virgil uses and how effective they are

The portrayal of war

How effectively the environment they are fighting in is described

Who you think we should sympathise with

What a hero is

An example of how you might make a point in these questions:
Point It seems clear that to be considered a great hero one of the qualities needed is great physical strength
Evidence when Turnus goes to grab the rock Virgil tells us that he picks up a rock that not even twelve men of the present day could pick up. When Aeneas throws his spear it goes so powerfully that it is described as a whirlwind.
Analysis the fact that Virgil portrays both the main characters as having great physical strength suggests it was an assumed quality of a warrior extension In addition Virgil’s portrayal of both men as somewhat heroic [to be expanded on later on in the next paragraph] adds further weight to this point.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest