The Student Room Group

No idea what career path to take

I just finished my MORSE (Maths, Stats, Economics) degree from Warwick with a 2.2. Had a pretty crappy time with it, did no maths modules in my last year because they were so dull and impossible.

So I've been wanting to get out of Uni and get on a relevant path. I felt I was just sticking it out to get the degree on paper, as I'm sure it's worth something, until the time came when I graduated and could get myself somewhere I wanted to be.

I had ideas of video editing and graphic design. I've always had interest in this kind of stuff (used Photoshop to make dumb images for the internet, enjoyed making magazine covers and such at school) and have become pretty good with video editing software to make videos for Youtube.

However, now I look at things and I'm not sure. I would need more education and to build a portfolio, and I don't think my heart is in it.

I've looked into working in the videogames industry. I like gaming and reading/ discussing the industry on forums and listening to podcasts that are at least loosely related to videogames (Giant Bombcast). However, again I would need education and a portfolio, and then it would be pretty specific as to what I'd be working on (animation, modelling, scripting) with low pay and hard working hours.

Another option would be to learn how to program. I could take a year's masters conversion course and learn stuff, or some other route. I don't feel entirely confident in my ability to learn enough to compete with people who have been doing it for fun and as a degree, nor am I sure I'd even enjoy it that much (I did a module on Java and it went pretty well).

The last option as I see it would be to try to get a finance/ actuarial type job. I don't think I'd enjoy the work, but it would probably pay very well. I'm also not confident I'd be able to find work there due to the ultra competitive nature of the sector.

I know I've come off super negative in this post, but it's how I feel and I'm desperate for some guidance. After 3 years of doing something I didn't enjoy and wasn't very good at, I want to set my life right and feel like I'm on the right track. Could I get some advice on this? Much thanks :smile:
Hi guys! I'd like to study marketing/management but i don't take mathematics at my A levels. Could you please tell me which universities provides theese courses without maths at entry requirements (i kow there are only a few)? I'd be very thankful!! :smile:
Original post by JenniferJen
Hi guys! I'd like to study marketing/management but i don't take mathematics at my A levels. Could you please tell me which universities provides theese courses without maths at entry requirements (i kow there are only a few)? I'd be very thankful!! :smile:

How has this any relevance to the OPs predicament?
Reply 3
Hey,

Sorry to hear that things aren't going well for you career wise. I guess I'd ask - what passions do you have? What is it that you do that you can spend hours on without noticing the time going by?

As for programming, if you found math extremely boring/hard to do, it might be not the best idea, imo. Learning programming can take a lot of time and is somewhat similar. That said, php/mysql is fairly accessible if you want to get started.

Also, I shared a few months ago a career quiz that I found helpful in another thread which might be helpful to you http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=47465868&highlight=

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending