The Student Room Group

Help! Art or physics degree?

Im currently in sixth year (Scotland) and I’m well aware I’m going to have to start applying to uni soon. I definitely want some sort of degree and I got straight As at Higher and Nat 5 in a range of subjects. Im currently studying Advanced Higher maths, physics, art and English. And I’m having a crisis! My favourite subject is and always has been art. I have always been naturally good at it and I’ve won awards for my artwork. So of course I’d love to study an art degree at uni. But I know job opportunities aren’t great as well as the pay within those jobs. Im also studying physics and considering doing a degree in astrophysics or aerospace engineering (either or). I’m good at physics but only because I work extremely hard to understand the material, it’s not something that comes so naturally to me and I really have to knuckle down to learn. But as I say, I study effectively and do well in the end and have good grades in physics. I don’t know what to choose! I can’t apply to both because I can only submit my personal statement once and it has to be specific to the degree. Im running out of time! A gap year isn’t really an option for me. Any advice??
For me personally, I’d go with a subject that would get you a stable career if that makes sense, however it’s always best to go with what makes you the most happiest or what you feel most comfortable doing.
Original post by lucyarmstrong
Im currently in sixth year (Scotland) and I’m well aware I’m going to have to start applying to uni soon. I definitely want some sort of degree and I got straight As at Higher and Nat 5 in a range of subjects. Im currently studying Advanced Higher maths, physics, art and English. And I’m having a crisis! My favourite subject is and always has been art. I have always been naturally good at it and I’ve won awards for my artwork. So of course I’d love to study an art degree at uni. But I know job opportunities aren’t great as well as the pay within those jobs. Im also studying physics and considering doing a degree in astrophysics or aerospace engineering (either or). I’m good at physics but only because I work extremely hard to understand the material, it’s not something that comes so naturally to me and I really have to knuckle down to learn. But as I say, I study effectively and do well in the end and have good grades in physics. I don’t know what to choose! I can’t apply to both because I can only submit my personal statement once and it has to be specific to the degree. Im running out of time! A gap year isn’t really an option for me. Any advice??

Hi @lucyarmstrong,

I totally get where you’re coming from! It can be hard to make a logical career decision when the two things you’re interested in are polar opposite! I was in a similar situation before choosing my A-levels. Like you, I was really good at art and I loved it but, I wasn’t sure if it was something I loved enough to make a career out of. I decided to keep it as a hobbie but, I still went into a creative degree which was more efficient and balanced in workload - photography. I’ve been studying this now since college and I’m now going into my final year at uni! With work experience I’ve obtained along the way, I now have a clear vision of what I want to do and achieve in this industry.

Most of the time, we choose logically and think that this means that life will end up boring but, this is not the case. You will find out a lot more about the career opportunities that lay ahead even if you choose to do physics! I think this is the best route to go down in order for you to branch upon your options and perhaps you’ll find a career path that marries both art and physics (as poetic as it sounds haha)

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie
Reply 3
Think of

Original post by UniofChester Rep
perhaps you’ll find a career path that marries both art and physics (as poetic as it sounds haha)

This is definitely worth exploring. Check this out: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/202673/imperial-artist-wins-award-combining-physics/

Hey @lucyarmstrong :smile:

I can understand how hard a decision this is, because ultimately you want to study something you love and enjoy like art, but then you're also good at physics and work extremely hard in it. It's good that you're thinking about the future now, you're giving yourself time to explore all your options :smile:

Well done on winning awards for your art work too, that's amazing! 🎉

Just keep having a think of what kind of work you can see yourself enjoying the most and being motivated to excel in over the long time, you want to make a decision that will make you the happiest and enjoy your university experience. Have another research into potential career paths for both of these areas, can you speak to any career counsellors at your school/college and get their advice on it? Always good to hear another perspective.

Would you consider other creative paths?

You could also try reaching out to professionals in both fields to gain insights into their careers, or book onto some uni open days and attend the course talks, speak to the academics and current students, check out the facilities - just get a feel for both of these courses and see what most excites you! Ask lots of questions about career opportunities, where their grads have gone on to work at :smile:

Trust your instincts and go with the choice that resonates most with you, no rush just take your time and you'll make the right call for you.

Best of luck :smile:

Becky

Hey @lucyarmstrong :biggrin: Massive congrats on your grades so far! You've done really well :smile:

I'd agree with most in this thread and say you're best studying something you really enjoy to give yourself a good chance at success. If you need to force yourself to study something like Physics/Engineering then it'll make your time at uni more challenging than it needs to be.

There's lots of different ways to study Art at university. You can study something purely focused on Art & Design, or you could use your skills in a different way - such as Architecture, or Product Design maybe? Those options could maybe combine a bit of the physics knowledge you've got without making your whole degree centered around it.

If you have a chance then try to visit open days throughout September and October. That'll give you a chance to chat to staff and meet students studying different degrees and help you get a feel for what's involved within a degree.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
@lucyarmstrong

Do you enjoy physics? If you enjoy it and you are good at it, then it might be something to consider going forward. Look at the different job options and see if there is anything that particularly interests you.

I also love art and and for my first degree studied Fine Art. It was great to have studio space, to be among other creatives, to be inspired by them and to have the chance to develop my work, but I found it tough when I wasn't inspired, and to know when to be done with artwork(there was always more that could be done e.g. more sketchbook work or going to an exhibition or trying out another idea). Like a computer running in the background, I was always looking for ideas/ inspiration.

When you are inspired and every idea works and fuels more ideas and more great art then it's brilliant to study art, but when it's not like that, it can be really tough to keep trying ideas and to stay motivated.

Post university there is also the matter of space, money for materials and which job will enable you to keep money coming in while also not destroying the time you need to create artwork.

It's not an easy path to follow, so do think through what could happen in the best-case scenario and what could happen in the worst-case scenario and whether you are willing to proceed despite that!

All that being said, if physics does not come naturally it will require work, time and commitment. If you have no interest in it, it might be difficult to sustain motivation for a whole degree, unless you have a goal at the end.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending