The Student Room Group

PC Gamers - Show off your machine!

Meet Bettie (Page)

She's packing an i7 4820K @3.7gHz and an Nvidia GTX770 2GB on an MSI motherboard, 8GB Kingston DDR3 RAM and two WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDDs in a Cooler Master 650 case.

She was obtained through Cyberpower for about a grand, on 12 month finance.

The notebook is a HP Probook called Frankenstein, primarily used for tethering, since Bettie's wireless card isn't properly configured yet.

What do you folks play your games on, and did you self-build or go with a custom-builder/OEM?
Name: Kali

Spec:

Corsair 230T Case
i5 4440 CPU
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
3GB MSI GTX780 GPU
MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Motherboard
Corsair CS650M PSU
128GB OCZ VERTEX 4 SSD*
1TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD*

LG E2441 Monitor*
Corsair Vengeance K70 Mechanical Keyboard
Mad Catz R.A.T. 5 Mouse
Turtle Beach X12 Headset

I'm considering replacing the stock Intel cooler unit with a Corsair H80i and using Noctua NF-F12 fans to make it a little quieter. I also want to lose the TV and stand (never really use it), get a new desk and buy a new 27" Asus VE278H for a primary screen, keeping the LG as a secondary screen.

Desk

Screens**:

Internal:

*Salvaged from previous setup
** Using previous keyboard and mouse
Yes my desk is a tip! Thankyou.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 OC to 4.3ghz
Mobo: Asus Crosshair Formula V-Z
GPU: MSI Lightning GTX780
RAM: 16GB (2133)
Storage: 250GB Crucial SSD, Games 2TB WD Black HDD, Media 1TB Seagate HDD, 60GB Sandisk SSD
OS: Windows 8.1 on 250GB, main boot. Xubuntu & Windows Vista on the Sandisk.
All default fans replaced with Noctua fans, bar the CPU Vooler which is the Akasa Voodoo Dual Air Cooler.
Custom Built myself.

(It won't upload my picture :mad:)

Link: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=httbgh&s=8#.U7bEj7HzIzM
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Daniel9510

Stick it on Imgur :smile:

TinyPic it.
Original post by mikeyd85
TinyPic it.

Good idea, done that
Good idea, done that

[noparse]You should put the tags URL [/noparse] in your post so it loads the image in the post.

Other than that, what do you make of the Noctua fans? Worth the money?
[noparse]You should put the tags URL [/noparse] in your post so it loads the image in the post.

Other than that, what do you make of the Noctua fans? Worth the money?

It won't work, I can't add image by URL or anything. Could have been the meme abuse in Society and they've disabled it?

Noctua fans are awesome, used to piss me off cos it sounded like a vacuum cleaner, now its about 5 degress lower temps on idle and even on load I can't hear it other than a faint hum (my Sky box is louder).
It won't work, I can't add image by URL or anything. Could have been the meme abuse in Society and they've disabled it?

Noctua fans are awesome, used to piss me off cos it sounded like a vacuum cleaner, now its about 5 degress lower temps on idle and even on load I can't hear it other than a faint hum (my Sky box is louder).

:lol: I wouldn't know about that.

Cheers for the review there, it's pushing me closer to them cooling upgrades! :yep:
:lol: I wouldn't know about that.

Cheers for the review there, it's pushing me closer to them cooling upgrades! :yep:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-080-AK&groupid=701&catid=2330

This is my favourite upgrade though. I love it, so quiet and so much better than stock.

I noticed the RAT 7 I think on yours? Mine broke :/ thats why I've got that white thing (was only £7 so not too bad)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-080-AK&groupid=701&catid=2330

This is my favourite upgrade though. I love it, so quiet and so much better than stock.

I noticed the RAT 7 I think on yours? Mine broke :/ thats why I've got that white thing (was only £7 so not too bad)

I'd go for a top end air cooler over a watercooler if it weren't for two things. 1) Closeness to memory sockets. 2) Airflow. I still may go air cooler, but IDK.

RAT5. I played with one a while back and fell in love with it. :yep: Shame yours broke - no good for warrantee?
I'd go for a top end air cooler over a watercooler if it weren't for two things. 1) Closeness to memory sockets. 2) Airflow. I still may go air cooler, but IDK.

RAT5. I played with one a while back and fell in love with it. :yep: Shame yours broke - no good for warrantee?

Nah it was ancient :s-smilie:
Reply 12
I would, but I don't like seeing grown men cry.
I'm sat on a rig with:
CPU: 4930k w/ h80i
mobo: GA-X79-UP4
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3
GPU: GTX690 (waiting for 880s to throw one or two in there)
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Optical Drives: Some LG blu-ray drive that I can't remember the No for, and the DVD drive that originally came with it.
Storage: 1x 840 250GB, 1x 840 Evo 250GB, 2x WD Caviar Green 2TB, 1x Some crappy SATA 2 1TB drive that came with this thing originally. Need some more HDDs though and can't wait for 850s.
Case: Corsair 760T (could do with some LED strips though)

Mouse: Logitech G500s
Keyboard: some crappy keyboard I picked up fora fiver, looking at getting a decent one when I go back to uni
Monitors: 23" 1080p Acer S240HL and an old Dell SE198WFP that was lying around (running at some ugly resolution). Will probably get the 1440p, 144Hz (I should hope G-sync) monitor when it finally comes out, and then when the price on them drops a bit get 2 more.
Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100
Other: I have a wires xbox360 controller I occasionally use, but I left it at my GF's last time I went because KB+M is horrible for Brothers: A Tale of two Sons (which I recommend people go play).

Will probably get some pics up tomorrow.

Bought it originally from Cyberpower a couple of years back, well, I say it, I mean what it came from orignially. All that is left is the DVD drive and 1TB HDD. Got pretty much everything else from the original in my wardrobe though.
Can't be bothered with taking a new picture, but here's my pretty audio-centric setup :h:

Specs and other bits

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest