The Student Room Group

Who is the greatest sportsman ever?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by CB91
Id say Nadal has already surpassed Federer tbh. 5 years younger, missed significant chunks of his career through injury and still 2nd all time on the GS list in the most competitive era ever. Federers achievements are brilliant but for a lot of his GS wins there was no one decent or consistent enough to challenge him. I think Nadals head to head record in GSs v the other big 4 says it all for me. 25-7, Federer is 12-16, Djokovic 12-17 and Murray 5-14.

I can't find the exact stats but Nadal has had to play the other big 4 on more occasions en route to winning his slams aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nadal isn't even in top 5. He can only dominate one slam and on one surface. He hasn't even got enough weeks at number 1 to be in the consideration of GOAT. And please don't say that this era is competitive. Last year Nadal came from a 8 month injury and won pretty much everything.. That is something which would never happen in a competitive era.
Original post by Roger1
Nadal isn't even in top 5. He can only dominate one slam and on one surface. He hasn't even got enough weeks at number 1 to be in the consideration of GOAT. And please don't say that this era is competitive. Last year Nadal came from a 8 month injury and won pretty much everything.. That is something which would never happen in a competitive era.

Weeks at number 1 is irrelevant, injuries have meant Nadal couldnt keep a regular spot at number 1 which doesnt effect how good he is. 9 of Federers slams were won on Hard Courts, if their were 2 Clay slams Nadal would be 20+ GS titles. And if this isnt a competitive era then Federer isnt the GOAT.

Although I dont know why im bothering, youre a proper Federer fanboy if the Tennis thread is any indication.
Reply 82
Original post by CB91
Weeks at number 1 is irrelevant, injuries have meant Nadal couldnt keep a regular spot at number 1 which doesnt effect how good he is. 9 of Federers slams were won on Hard Courts, if their were 2 Clay slams Nadal would be 20+ GS titles. And if this isnt a competitive era then Federer isnt the GOAT.

Although I dont know why im bothering, youre a proper Federer fanboy if the Tennis thread is any indication.

There is no GOAT but Federer > Nadal for now. And I'm not saying that Federer's era was strong or anything. It's just that this era is also weak. And you calling this era competitive makes you sound more of a fanboy. And if there were 2 slams on grass, Federer would have like 24 majors by now.

And the good old injury excuse by Nadal fans as always... It never gets old.
Original post by KrazyKoala
Well yeah Floyd in there is a bit weird, considering most would go for Ali.

My point about the footballer one, is those who vote greatest of all time will usually compare sports. They will not look at the same sport, they will pick the best of that sport and compare. While guys like Ronaldo and Messi are indeed great, if you asked the majority who is the greatest footballer out of the four, I'm pretty sure Maradona and Pele would win. In fact pretty sure Pele would win, given his status in football, not even guys like Messi or Ronaldo command that. One thing as well Messi nor Ronaldo has won a world cup, which counts against them a bit in most people's eyes compared to Pele and Maradona.

Jordan instead of Lebron would be a given, but most people don't follow Basketball here. If it was an american forum, there would probably be an uproar of him being left out. Same with Bo Jackson. Babe Ruth again, but the thing about Baseball is that it isn't popular around the world, most countries don't play it. Bo Jackson's got the two sports thing going for him.

It's more setting up the poll to which people are inclined to pick. I do understand perhaps your reasons for including four footballers, but most aren't going to see it that way as I've explained earlier.

Reading my previous posts, perhaps I'm coming off a bit nasty/complaining too much and if so I apologise. It's an interesting thread. I don't wish to offend. Just stating my opinion about the poll options.

I think Messi is right up there with Pele and Maradona, him being a current player counts against him as people tend to look back at the past with nostalgia and overrate players. Same with Zidane and Iniesta. You're probably right about Ronaldo, but there's still the odd person who rates him above Messi so I put him in.

Yeah, I don't really know anything about American sports so you're probably right there too. I didn't want to put too many in though as it tends to only be America that takes them seriously.

Nah no offence taken, it's cool :smile:
Phil 'The power' Taylor.
Roger fedora over muhammed ali????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

you people make me sick

also no joe louis or bo jackson or karelin......................this list is a joke
(edited 9 years ago)
My Top 5

Pele
Don Bradman
Jim Thorpe
Babe Didriksen Zaharias
Roger Federer
1) Ronaldo
2) Ali
3) Federer
4) Messi
5) Schumacher

Ronaldo almost has 91m Facebook fans :redface:
Don't know why people say Pele. Nowadays he is just a rent-a-quote sellout.

Even Brazilians don't listen to his opinions any more.
Original post by CB91
Ive not really watched much pre 50's except Sugar Ray Robinson and Dempsey but in no order; SRRobinson, Duran, Whittaker, Mayweather, Pacquaio. Theres not really much between those 5 and Monzon, Hagler, Hearns, Chavez, SRLeonard and Ali tho tbh. Id love to put Roy Jones Jr in there, he was probably the most naturally gifted fighter ever but he fought bums for 99% of his career.

Id say hes definitely Top 3 ever in the Heavyweights, probably number 1 really. Imo Lennox Lewis had the tools to take apart any Heavyweight in history but he was in a poor era.

Definitely Sugar Ray Robinson.

Ali gets a lot more recognition due to certain fights, his attitude and his relation to politics.
Original post by ESPORTIVA
Roger fedora over muhammed ali????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

you people make me sick

also no joe louis or bo jackson or karelin......................this list is a joke

Boxing and wrestling are **** sports
Wayne 'Wazza' Rooney
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Don't know why people say Pele. Nowadays he is just a rent-a-quote sellout.

Even Brazilians don't listen to his opinions any more.

Pele is the most overrated sportsman ever.

He was fortunate enough to have been born into a golden era of Brazilian talent. He didn't stand the ultimate test; European Cup/European Football. I'd rank Ronaldo, Messi, Puskas, Cruyff, Fat Ronaldo, Kaka (peak), Maradona, Zidane, Eusebio and di Stefano above Pele. There are probably more players that are better (that I haven't heard of because the media focus/dick-ride Maradona/Pele).

Out of all of them, di Stefano is the most influential. He ignited the flame that is European football.
Original post by Manchester United
Pele is the most overrated sportsman ever.

He was fortunate enough to have been born into a golden era of Brazilian talent. He didn't stand the ultimate test; European Cup/European Football. I'd rank Ronaldo, Messi, Puskas, Cruyff, Fat Ronaldo, Kaka (peak), Maradona, Zidane, Eusebio and di Stefano above Pele. There are probably more players that are better (that I haven't heard of because the media focus/dick-ride Maradona/Pele).

Out of all of them, di Stefano is the most influential. He ignited the flame that is European football.

Bingo. In Brazil Garrincha is rated as highly. Pele was just better at marketing himself
Ali no doubt.

Which utter plebs went for Cristiano Ronaldo?
Floyd Mayweather Jr or Lionel Messi.
For what they've achieved and also how they've changed their respective sports in different ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) Ronaldo
2) Ali
3) Federer
4) Messi
5) Schumacher

Ronaldo almost has 91m Facebook fans :redface:

So...? Do you think he would if he looked like Scholes? Ronaldo is a marketing brand, not a sports legend
Original post by TheAnusFiles
So...? Do you think he would if he looked like Scholes? Ronaldo is a marketing brand, not a sports legend

No, that's Beckham.

Ronaldo is one of the greatest footballers ever and is a huge commercial success.

I agree with what you said about Garrincha though. I have a few Brazilian friends, and they all say Garrincha is ranked above Pele in Brazil.
No, that's Beckham.

Ronaldo is one of the greatest footballers ever and is a huge commercial success.

I agree with what you said about Garrincha though. I have a few Brazilian friends, and they all say Garrincha is ranked above Pele in Brazil.

No, Ronaldo is a marketing brand. He is a very good footballer, but not on the same level as Maradona, Messi and the greatest Portuguese player of all time Eusébio, O Rei.

A huge part of Ronaldo's commercial success is his appearance.
Original post by TheAnusFiles
No, Ronaldo is a marketing brand. He is a very good footballer, but not on the same level as Maradona, Messi and the greatest Portuguese player of all time Eusébio, O Rei.

A huge part of Ronaldo's commercial success is his appearance.

I completely disagree.

Don't bother replying if you're going to debate it. I don't want this thread to turn into Ronaldo vs Messi/Maradona/Eusebio. We have enough of that in the Spanish Football thread.

Quick Reply

Latest