The Student Room Group

help me with this cancelling linear factors?

x+3/4x+12
Original post by harry_2343
x+3/4x+12

Do you know how to factorise the denominator?
Original post by MathMeister
We don't know what you're asking for. Please disambiguate the quesdtion by writing it in LaTeX.

We do know what he is asking
Reply 3
In the denominator, if you take 4 outside as a factor, you are left with (x+3) as 4(x+3) = (4x+12). Now the expression becomes X+3/4(x+3). you can cancel the (x+3) so you are left with 1/4. That is the answer
Original post by rachu

Are you aware of the forum regulations regarding full solutions?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=403989
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
Are you aware of the forum regulations regarding full solutions?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=403989

Sorry i am new here and was not aware of that. i will keep that in mind next time.
You need to factorise the bottom :smile:
Original post by rachu
Sorry i am new here and was not aware of that. i will keep that in mind next time.

ok :smile:
Not to be rude, but we may not know what the expression we are supposed to simplify. It could mean either of, 4 expressions to simplify. :smile:
x+34x+12\frac{x+3}{4x+12}, or x+34x+12\frac{x+3}{4x}+12, or x+34x+12 x+\frac{3}{4x}+12, or x+34x+12x+\frac{3}{4x+12},
It may help to use LaTeX. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Actually, we do not know what the expression we are supposed to simplify. It could mean either of, 4 expressions to simplify.
x+34x+12\frac{x+3}{4x+12}, or x+34x+12\frac{x+3}{4x}+12, or x+34x+12 x+\frac{3}{4x}+12, or x+34x+12x+\frac{3}{4x+12},
What I've just demonstrated is the reason why TSR recommends the use of LaTeX, and why many students use it; to avoid ambiguity.

Actually we do

The title thread combined with the OP make it clear

You are not wrong when you say that the use of LaTeX makes things easier but you are talking to a relatively new poster and it would have been more helpful to wait for them to understand the problem then to suggest LaTex for future threads OR to have written the obvious version in LaTeX and asked them to confirm

Also, please do not post full solutions in future posts.

Oh dear - perhaps you could explain how post 2 constitutes a "full solution"
Actually, we do not know what the expression we are supposed to simplify. It could mean either of, 4 expressions to simplify.
What I've just demonstrated is the reason why TSR recommends the use of LaTeX, and why many students use it; to avoid ambiguity. Also, please do not post full solutions in future posts.

In this case there was nothing to "disambiguate". The simplicity of the question made it perfectly clear what was required. If you wanted to help you could have suggested the use of brackets or linked to the wiki.
Oh dear - perhaps you could explain how post 2 constitutes a "full solution"

I think that bit might have been directed at rachu.
Original post by Mr M
I think that bit might have been directed at rachu.

One hopes so

However - since I had already discussed the issue with rachu and she had seen her mistake - it was probably pointless no matter the direction
One hopes so

However - since I had already discussed the issue with rachu and she had seen her mistake - it was probably pointless no matter the direction

Anyone who wants to have a pop at you would be best advised to focus on punctuation.
''Oh dear''. You said it was a full solution yourself, bro. Please don't ''oh dear'' me when it was your accusation, yourself. Clearly, your mind isn't quite up to speed with simple reasoning.

I mistakenly believed that your entire post was directed at me

I believed this because the "actually" at the start indicated this

However - MrM has pointed out that you were probably talking to another poster in the final sentence
Original post by Mr M
Anyone who wants to have a pop at you would be best advised to focus on punctuation.

Indeed.
I always hang my head and admit my errors in that particular respect.
Actually we do

The title thread combined with the OP make it clear

You are not wrong when you say that the use of LaTeX makes things easier but you are talking to a relatively new poster and it would have been more helpful to wait for them to understand the problem then to suggest LaTex for future threads OR to have written the obvious version in LaTeX and asked them to confirm

Is it so hard to use brackets, even when you're a new poster?
Original post by Dilzo999

Someone working at this level is unlikely to understand they are required. When they type out their question it looks exactly the same to them as the thing they have written on their worksheet or printed in their textbook.
Original post by Dilzo999

No, I agree that the OP lacked clarity but I think a new poster could be asked to consider better options in a nicer manner

Quick Reply

Latest