The Student Room Group

HELP, B-TEC science - want to become a doctor?

I'm in a bad situation at the moment. I'm 15 and I'm about to go into year 11. My GCSE target grades are all C's because in years 8 and 9 I just didn't really understand the importance of the early years and I didn't try in tests. This is why I'm doing B-TEC science. My target grades are quite mediocre and I know I could get at least B's if not A's. I chose I.C.T, History, Business Studies and Graphic Design for my options. I was wondering if I could get into a good college with these and study science(s), or do I have to do it at GCSE? My dream is to become a hospital doctor but because of a bad start I'm really contemplating this. Another route I would like to go down (If I can't study Medicine) is Economics. I've always been interested in the economy and was considering becoming a Financial Trader. I wanted advice and I don't want unrealistic targets for myself. I have a certain drive for success and I know if I put my heart to it I could do it. Any advice would be amazing. Thanks.
Original post by liamgville
I'm in a bad situation at the moment. I'm 15 and I'm about to go into year 11. My GCSE target grades are all C's because in years 8 and 9 I just didn't really understand the importance of the early years and I didn't try in tests. This is why I'm doing B-TEC science. My target grades are quite mediocre and I know I could get at least B's if not A's. I chose I.C.T, History, Business Studies and Graphic Design for my options. I was wondering if I could get into a good college with these and study science(s), or do I have to do it at GCSE? My dream is to become a hospital doctor but because of a bad start I'm really contemplating this. Another route I would like to go down (If I can't study Medicine) is Economics. I've always been interested in the economy and was considering becoming a Financial Trader. I wanted advice and I don't want unrealistic targets for myself. I have a certain drive for success and I know if I put my heart to it I could do it. Any advice would be amazing. Thanks.

hmm... im not too sure if b-tech science is enough. If you look at most universities that do medicine, they want atleast a BB in DOUBLE award science or BBB for triple award. This being said, if you don't meet their minimum requirements then it would be almost impossible to do medicine. BUT... if you are genuinely interested, you could always study abroad. If this sounds like non-sense, you could always home school yourself core and additional science and pay to sit the exams yourself... that way, you would have a b-tech and double award science which would leave you in a very good place... economics is also very good btw
Reply 2
Original post by Angelo12231
hmm... im not too sure if b-tech science is enough. If you look at most universities that do medicine, they want atleast a BB in DOUBLE award science or BBB for triple award. This being said, if you don't meet their minimum requirements then it would be almost impossible to do medicine. BUT... if you are genuinely interested, you could always study abroad. If this sounds like non-sense, you could always home school yourself core and additional science and pay to sit the exams yourself... that way, you would have a b-tech and double award science which would leave you in a very good place... economics is also very good btw

This. Such a good idea, I had never even thought about homeschooling and sitting the exams at a college! :biggrin:

As above you can always study abroad, I believe that there is a uni in the Czech Republic which only requires an entrance exam to get into, and by reports it is a relatively easy exam to get into. However, you will obviously have to work hard in year11,12 and 13 to have the knowledge to actually complete the course as it is supposed to be quite tough and you learn the language in the fourth year I think (although that may be *******s, I am not completely sure :wink: ) It is also important to remember that when you study in places like Romania and the Czech the living cost maybe be low but to get back to the UK the costs are enormous!

Beg and plead your teachers to do at least Double Science! Double Science (or Triple Science where possible) are the only GCSEs you can do to get into any A-Level Science subject, let alone any field of Science to become a doctor.

You'll struggle so much if you only do Single Science GCSE, Applied Science GCSE or worst of all BTEC Science.
Reply 4
Original post by yellowcopter
Beg and plead your teachers to do at least Double Science! Double Science (or Triple Science where possible) are the only GCSEs you can do to get into any A-Level Science subject, let alone any field of Science to become a doctor.

You'll struggle so much if you only do Single Science GCSE, Applied Science GCSE or worst of all BTEC Science.

I second this. Most sixth forms I know of do not accept students for their sciences courses unless they have done at least Double Science, so you would fall at the first hurdle unless you do what yellowcopter suggested and try and persuade your teachers to enter you for double.
Original post by Gorwell
I second this. Most sixth forms I know of do not accept students for their sciences courses unless they have done at least Double Science, so you would fall at the first hurdle unless you do what yellowcopter suggested and try and persuade your teachers to enter you for double.

Almost all the sixth forms/colleges I applied to asked for at least Double Science BB. So not only do they want Double Science, but OP needs to also not be on a C grade but B grade. It's easily achievable, but OP definitely needs to make sure they ask ASAP to go into Double Science before it's too late. Loads of students in Year 10 who were in BTEC were able to move up to Double Science. But once you're in Year 11 it's too late.
You'd have to check college/sixth form requirements to study science and they will very likely want you to have at least double science at B/C. If school doesn't allow you to get onto double science, you could like someone else said, do the GCSEs as a private candidate, get tuition to be taught double science and then take your exam.
Reply 7
Almost all the sixth forms/colleges I applied to asked for at least Double Science BB. So not only do they want Double Science, but OP needs to also not be on a C grade but B grade. It's easily achievable, but OP definitely needs to make sure they ask ASAP to go into Double Science before it's too late. Loads of students in Year 10 who were in BTEC were able to move up to Double Science. But once you're in Year 11 it's too late.

Really that couldn't happen at my school considering we started the course in 10, BTEC could not go to dual but dual could go to triple. Because dual and triple did the same first two modules.
Reply 8
Thanks guys :smile: I love the idea of studying abroad but I just think this would add complications. I've tried to find information on taking the Science GCSE's at college but i can't find any information. If anyone can link any websites I would really appreciate it. My two main interests for a career are Medicine and Economics. I'm genuinely interested in both subjects but I'm swaying towards Economics now because of the whole B-TEC problem. Any more advice would be very helpful.
Original post by slg60
Really that couldn't happen at my school considering we started the course in 10, BTEC could not go to dual but dual could go to triple. Because dual and triple did the same first two modules.

At my school BTEC students who kept getting Distinction* at BTEC were able to move up to Double, but they had to get constant Distinction* grades and this was only allowed in Year 10. By year 11, no one could move or change courses. Triple Science students were also able to move down to Double if they found it too hard/don't wish to get into a Science related degree.

Annoyingly for me Double Science students weren't able to move up to Triple at my school, no idea why when BTEC and Triple students can move but Doubles can't. :frown:

I had to literally BEG my teacher to do Triple and eventually she entered me for it. I had to teach myself the Triple units though, since I wasn't allowed to move class so I was doing Triple but I was still in a Double class. Also had to stay behind at school everyday for about 2 weeks or so to do Triple coursework.
Thanks guys :smile: I love the idea of studying abroad but I just think this would add complications. I've tried to find information on taking the Science GCSE's at college but i can't find any information. If anyone can link any websites I would really appreciate it. My two main interests for a career are Medicine and Economics. I'm genuinely interested in both subjects but I'm swaying towards Economics now because of the whole B-TEC problem. Any more advice would be very helpful.

Is there absolutely no way for you to ask to do Double Science GCSE at your school? If so then check local colleges/sixth forms you may decide to apply to at the end of Year 11 and then look at the entry requirements for their A-Level Science courses. If they don't mind BTEC Science at Distinction* then just focus on getting a Distinction* for BTEC so you can at least get into A-Level and just forget about GCSE Science.

It sucks that you do BTEC, but if you can get into A-Level then you'll be fine I think.
Reply 11
Is there absolutely no way for you to ask to do Double Science GCSE at your school? If so then check local colleges/sixth forms you may decide to apply to at the end of Year 11 and then look at the entry requirements for their A-Level Science courses. If they don't mind BTEC Science at Distinction* then just focus on getting a Distinction* for BTEC so you can at least get into A-Level and just forget about GCSE Science.

It sucks that you do BTEC, but if you can get into A-Level then you'll be fine I think.

I wrote a note in my book to him (which he ignored) and then I spoke to him and he said he will speak to me next week, which also didn't happen. I've just took the actual B-TEC in year 10 and got a distinction (overall grade including coursework) and I'm not sure if I could do science(s) at A-Level at my school. I think I'm going to stay on at sixth form. If it's not possible for me to do any science(s) at A-Level I'm considering taking these subjects for Economics at university:

Further Mathematics

Psychology

Economics

History/German

Are these strong choices? I really want to do German because many companies like traders with linguistic ability, and I actually enjoy it.
Would it be possible to study Economics in Germany/Russia/china? Just a thought.

If I can do sciences at A-Level I will choose:

Biology

Chemistry

Further Mathematics

History/German

Are these good choices?

I feel like my career path solely depends on whether I can do science(s) at A-Level. It's not a good feeling. (I like the idea of economics just as much as Medicine)
I wrote a note in my book to him (which he ignored) and then I spoke to him and he said he will speak to me next week, which also didn't happen. I've just took the actual B-TEC in year 10 and got a distinction (overall grade including coursework) and I'm not sure if I could do science(s) at A-Level at my school. I think I'm going to stay on at sixth form. If it's not possible for me to do any science(s) at A-Level I'm considering taking these subjects for Economics at university:

Further Mathematics

Psychology

Economics

History/German

Are these strong choices? I really want to do German because many companies like traders with linguistic ability, and I actually enjoy it.
Would it be possible to study Economics in Germany/Russia/china? Just a thought.

If I can do sciences at A-Level I will choose:

Biology

Chemistry

Further Mathematics

History/German

Are these good choices?

I feel like my career path solely depends on whether I can do science(s) at A-Level. It's not a good feeling. (I like the idea of economics just as much as Medicine)

Distinction is equivalent to an A grade so I would assume that some (though VERY few) will allow it for A-Level, but most ask for Distinction* minimum. If you did BTEC in Year 10 does that mean you'll be redoing BTEC next year as well (to get a better grade) or will you do GCSE by any chance?

Since you're doing Economics and Further Maths that's definitely enough to get into Economics. A strong combination. :smile: German also helps because it's a language. I don't know much about studying abroad, but I assume it's possible though very expensive so it's better to study here in the UK. Even if you want to do Economics, still try to get into Science GCSE. You may not necessarily need it, but it still helps to have 2 extra GCSE subjects.

Since you have Bio and Chem that's also a fine combination for Medicine if you're able to get into it. Most Med students also choose Physics, but a lot of them choose Maths as a replacement as you've done.

Don't think that doing BTEC Science is the end of it all. :tongue: Many people end up doing Medicine by getting D* at BTEC L2 then going on to be able to do A-Level. It's better to have GCSE but it's not the end of the world if you don't. You don't even really need it if you do Economics anyway, which you seem to want to go into more than Medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending