The Student Room Group

What’s the best option??

I am currently doing Btec engineering and a level product design at my sixth form. The universities I am looking at they are asking for a level maths. I am interested in Bristol university the most and it says that they do a maths exam for people who don’t do a level maths. Is it best to stay with the Btec engineering and a level product design or should I consider switching to to a level maths. My only worry is that without a level maths I will have less options and struggle to get into uni. Is there anyone who has experienced the Bristol uni maths test without a level maths and if so could you tell me what the process was. Thank you.
Reply 1
I can't help you specifically but I know how universities are like in the UK. If you're going to be doing engineering as a degree you're going to need to be fluent with A Level maths concepts because that's going to be absolutely standard in your course. If you need maths for a course that means you're going to be using it, a lot. BTEC engineering will simply not prepare you for what you'll be expected to do as standard for your assignments and exams and I don't think this maths entrance exam is going to be easy. I'd definitely switch.
Original post by Trafalagar_248
I am currently doing Btec engineering and a level product design at my sixth form. The universities I am looking at they are asking for a level maths. I am interested in Bristol university the most and it says that they do a maths exam for people who don’t do a level maths. Is it best to stay with the Btec engineering and a level product design or should I consider switching to to a level maths. My only worry is that without a level maths I will have less options and struggle to get into uni. Is there anyone who has experienced the Bristol uni maths test without a level maths and if so could you tell me what the process was. Thank you.

Hi there,

This is a tough decision but if you are going into engineering then you’re right that most universities will ask for mathematics. This is because the course builds off of the concepts taught at a-level, so they want students to be able to follow along without too much difficulty. While b-tec engineering is a good basis, it doesn’t reach the level of concept that universities like for their students to understand to keep up with the course.

Its great you found a Bristol opportunity there may be more universities which offer the same thing if you decide to stick with b-tec engineering. Is there a specific engineering you want to go into? I think you will have more options by switching to a-level maths but if you’d like to stick with b-tec engineering its worth looking for more options like Bristol, this won’t be the only one available!

Good luck,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Quick Reply

Latest