The Student Room Group

Students who've just finished GCSE: How many of you guys aspire for Medicine?

This poll is closed

Medicine or Other?

Medicine 32%
Other68%
Total votes: 37
medicine or something else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Medicine :yep:
Reply 2
Engineering or Physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Medicine
Original post by Neuth
Medicine :yep:

Original post by azaaza
Engineering or Physics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by TSR Mustafa
Medicine

Original post by WriterOfWrongs

WOOO
niceee
WOOO
thats fine!!
I'm sort of working in the direction of a medical career but am not sure yet what I want to do.
Original post by Excuse Me!
I'm sort of working in the direction of a medical career but am not sure yet what I want to do.

Oh thats fine, what did you pick for A level?
Reply 8
Something else but something scientific

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Surgeon. :smile:
Considering one of the options is 'something else', the answer to 'how many' is everyone haha.
Im not a GCSE Student but I just thought at this point in time it would be wise for me to step in and say make sure you all have a back up plan! A lot of people in life dont end up where they wanted to get, especially with medicine because it's such a hard career to follow.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by All-rounder
Considering one of the options is 'something else', the answer to 'how many' is everyone haha.
Im not a GCSE Student but I just thought at this point in time it would be wise for me to step in and say make sure you all have a back up plan! A lot of people in life dont end up where they wanted to get, especially with medicine because it's such a hard career to follow.

lol yeah the answer should be everyone... Its very hard to come up with a back up plan if you are aiming as high as medicine but come to think of it, it would be a wise thing to do... In the same way, if you aspire high, its quite hard to f*** it up because your going to be putting in more effort to make it work... Get As in A level, work experience etc. In the end of the day, so many people don't get into medicine (for example) because they aspired to it for all the wrong reasons...
Original post by Angelo12231
lol yeah the answer should be everyone... Its very hard to come up with a back up plan if you are aiming as high as medicine but come to think of it, it would be a wise thing to do... In the same way, if you aspire high, its quite hard to f*** it up because your going to be putting in more effort to make it work... Get As in A level, work experience etc. In the end of the day, so many people don't get into medicine (for example) because they aspired to it for all the wrong reasons...

I need that picture of Boromir right now haha. "One does not simply just get A's in A Levels". Even with a lot of work, it's hard as hell, even moreso if youre aiming for medicine because you have to do certain sciences which are tres boring, imo, and tres hard.

I need that picture of Boromir right now haha. "One does not simply just get A's in A Levels". Even with a lot of work, it's hard as hell, even moreso if youre aiming for medicine because you have to do certain sciences which are tres boring, imo, and tres hard.

LOL ahaha yeah i saw that pic multiple times... (facebook) But i don't see why not... i enjoy biology and chemistry a lot and maths is my favourite subject... What did/do you do at A level? It might explain your hatred for science/maths XD P.S i hate english
Something else:smile: History/economic history:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physics or
Computer Science or
Mathematics
Original post by Angelo12231
LOL ahaha yeah i saw that pic multiple times... (facebook) But i don't see why not... i enjoy biology and chemistry a lot and maths is my favourite subject... What did/do you do at A level? It might explain your hatred for science/maths XD P.S i hate english

Well, hey, if you enjoy biology and chemistry then you may be cut out for it anyway. I took Maths, History, Law and English Literature. After taking it, I also hate English haha. I could never really get into science, I was good at it at GCSE level, but I had no interest whatsoever so I knew it wouldnt be for me, and by that time I was already dedicated to a future in Law so I set my sights on that.
My advice isnt a "dont aim so high" situation, Dream big Achieve bigger is my life's motto. It's just a warning so people dont have to learn it a year later like I did, either create a back up plan, whether its a different career path or different subjects, or get your backside in action and do all you possibly can to achieve a place studying what you want. Personally, I set my sights on a Law degree, so I took Law, studied ahead, ran several campaigns and became Deputy Head (progressing onto Head this year) and Student Governor for the Student Union, and went out to get work experience with solicitors,visited trials at justice centres and courts, etc. All of that hard work gives me one kickass Personal Statement.
Im not sure what work experience you can do for medicine, but you can certainly do things that can show you have an interest in it, maybe an internship over the summer or extra curricular clubs, even a first aid or lifeguard course can help I think. It's all about going that extra mile to give you the edge over the other kids who want to study Medicine who also got awesome grades, because it might be these that ends up being the deciding factor of why they chose you over them.
Medicine :smile:
Well, hey, if you enjoy biology and chemistry then you may be cut out for it anyway. I took Maths, History, Law and English Literature. After taking it, I also hate English haha. I could never really get into science, I was good at it at GCSE level, but I had no interest whatsoever so I knew it wouldnt be for me, and by that time I was already dedicated to a future in Law so I set my sights on that.
My advice isnt a "dont aim so high" situation, Dream big Achieve bigger is my life's motto. It's just a warning so people dont have to learn it a year later like I did, either create a back up plan, whether its a different career path or different subjects, or get your backside in action and do all you possibly can to achieve a place studying what you want. Personally, I set my sights on a Law degree, so I took Law, studied ahead, ran several campaigns and became Deputy Head (progressing onto Head this year) and Student Governor for the Student Union, and went out to get work experience with solicitors,visited trials at justice centres and courts, etc. All of that hard work gives me one kickass Personal Statement.
Im not sure what work experience you can do for medicine, but you can certainly do things that can show you have an interest in it, maybe an internship over the summer or extra curricular clubs, even a first aid or lifeguard course can help I think. It's all about going that extra mile to give you the edge over the other kids who want to study Medicine who also got awesome grades, because it might be these that ends up being the deciding factor of why they chose you over them.

Everyone is good at everything in GCSE, GCSE is just a memory game, nothing more IMO :P and wow Law, my cousin studied Law at UCL and he loves it to bits! so at what point are you now?
Also yeah medicine requires a lot more than grades to get through, and yes all those things you have stated would be considered unique :smile: I currently volunteer for the british heart foundation (6 months) but now im in ireland shadowing in clinical experience so im off to a good-ish start... I know a lot of people who have way more experience than me but i should be able to turn that around in year 12 and 13 XD I have a placement booked at imperial college in year 12 for 4 weeks too. I will complete my DofE with the british heart and hopefully my school will let me do a crest award (research project) in anything to do with science... And of course the UKCAT and BMAT have to be done... so those are my plans...

Thanks for sharing your experience btw :smile:
people on this website have such boring ambitions lol

Quick Reply

Latest