The Student Room Group

Will race change much so that one

Can't impregnate the other? I can't impregnate a monkey because we are different so will this happen between e.g. a white/black with asian/latino? Could it happen?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Ignoring the racist undertones of your post, I'm not so sure that it would be on the lines of the current races. There is, however, every chance that in many millions upon millions of years time we humans may have branched into two, or more, sexually incompatible species.

The fun thing about evolution is that it is so random. We have no way of knowing! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Wow. Comparing black people with monkeys?

If two civilisations were kept completely separate for thousand/millions of years, then there would probably be a chance they'd change differently enough so they were sexually incompatible, but as it stands, everyone is too genetically similar and close/mixed/living similar lifestyles for that to happen
(edited 9 years ago)
-weeps for humanity-
Reply 5
Original post by Steezy

No I didnt.
Original post by Steezy

I believe the point he is making is that monkeys are our next closest genetic relative.

Not everything has a racist undertone on TSR.
Reply 7
Original post by DiddyDec
I believe the point he is making is that monkeys are our next closest genetic relative.

No, just a stupid undertone then
Original post by Steezy
No, just a stupid undertone then

It's not stupid, it's a perfectly valid question

OP I have thought about this aswell and I don't think It's possible now, this happens due to speciation, so one species branching out and evolving and changing so much it is considered another.

Hypothetically, lets say humans never traveled, colonialism never happened and countries never took over others then I think due to the different conditions in countries Humans would develop differently such that you wouldn't be able to breed with another "human" although they would be called other things then.

It would take quite a bit of time though :smile:

Our closest genetic relatives are chimpanzees, which are not monkeys but apes. Monkeys have tails but apes do not.
Reply 11
Original post by Mubariz
It's not stupid, it's a perfectly valid question

OP I have thought about this aswell and I don't think It's possible now, this happens due to speciation, so one species branching out and evolving and changing so much it is considered another.

Hypothetically, lets say humans never traveled, colonialism never happened and countries never took over others then I think due to the different conditions in countries Humans would develop differently such that you wouldn't be able to breed with another "human" although they would be called other things then.

It would take quite a bit of time though :smile:

Asking if white & black people might not be able to mate and using the fact that humans can't mate with monkeys as an example is either very racist or very stupid.
Original post by Steezy
Asking if white & black people might not be able to mate and using the fact that humans can't mate with monkeys as an example is either very racist or very stupid.

He's talking about speciation.

Learn GCSE Biology
Original post by Ashnard
Our closest genetic relatives are chimpanzees, which are not monkeys but apes. Monkeys have tails but apes do not.

To the average man on the street a chimp and a monkey are practically the same thing.

Before you say it, I am well aware that they are not the same thing.
Reply 14
Original post by Mubariz
He's talking about speciation.

Learn GCSE Biology

I know GCSE biology thank you and I know that all people are too genetically similar for this to happen unless isolated for thousands, if not millions of years.

Such an obnoxious thing to say when what you're speculating is scientifically ridiculous.
Original post by Steezy
I know GCSE biology thank you and I know that all people are too genetically similar for this to happen unless isolated for thousands, if not millions of years.

Such an obnoxious thing to say when what you're speculating is scientifically ridiculous.

I did mention it would take a large amount of time, but it is plausible.

It wouldn't take millions lol

That is all the OP wanted to know
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
No because we have ships and airplanes.
To the average man on the street a chimp and a monkey are practically the same thing.

Before you say it, I am well aware that they are not the same thing.

Of course you are, because I just told you that they're not. It's a common mistake and, seeing as we are on a student forum, I just felt the need to clear it up so as to help prevent this misconception from being further perpetuated. It's not a big deal, really.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest